I've recently bought two new dimarzio pickups to replace the duncan design ones in my guitar, and the only local place I could find that installs pickups wants to charge $30 for each pickup, so about $60 + tax, is that a fair price for a simple pickup swap with no fancy wiring setups? I'd try to do it myself but I have no idea where to begin, and what tools I'll need.
The price is probably fair. Guitar tech labor is expensive (like a good auto mechanic.) If your guitar is a solid body and the swap isn't too difficult save yourself the money and do it yourself. All you need is a soldering iron and a mini-screwdriver. Hollows and semi-hollows are a bitch, though.
I suggest doing it yourself. It will be cheaper and the experience is priceless.
That loser shit's right out the window!
that is a pretty fair price. i mean they charge around 50/60 dollars for a set up. all you need is a soldering iron, solder and wire strippers if you want to do it your self.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I installed vintage Gibson pickups on my SG, it was a pain, everythings so different nowadays. But its simple enough, have a crack yourself. Its well easy, find out where each pickup goes, heat up the solder on each wire, yank it out, put the new one inside put the wire on the solder, heat it up. You have one pickup installed.
Quote by ArcherTheVMan
that is a pretty fair price. i mean they charge around 50/60 dollars for a set up. all you need is a soldering iron, solder and wire strippers if you want to do it your self.

That's theft! Guitar stores near me charge a maximun of 30 bucks for a setup, and that's for a bass (25 for guitar)!
wierd i bought my pickups from a local place and they put em in for free, but then again the pickups were $400 american dollars
Meh I paid 7 bucks..
Just saying
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Quote by Kurt_Rosenwinkl
wierd i bought my pickups from a local place and they put em in for free, but then again the pickups were $400 american dollars

They better friggin sound pretty damn for 400 dollars.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Ask him to cut if off or go to another local store...

The dude charged me 25 bucks for both pick ups...but then a bit more considering I was changing from active to passive pups.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R