I have a Jedson Les Paul Black Beauty and I got it from an Uncle years ago( he has since past away). I know Jedson was a Japanese company that made knock offs for the British market so it may only be worth a couple of bills.
The guitar really sounds good. It has a very full heavy tone (not to mention it is just plan heavy)
The Emotional connection is the only thing holding me back from customize it, other than is it really worth it ( cost wise)? It does however need some TLC!!!!

Thanks
maybe post a pic or two so we can get a look at it?
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Harley Benton HBR7-450FRBK (7 string)
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Hughes & Kettner ATS MKII
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
Danelectro free Speech Talk Box
I used my first guitar (that I got from my uncle... weird???) in a build project; well at least the guitar neck. If I could do it over, I probably wouldn't have messed with it. Like you said... the sentimental factor is too much.
Without much knowledge of the guitar in question, I think it might be wise to replace the electrics and maybe the pickups and fittings, but aside from that, maybe leave it alone.

Older Japanese guitars tended to be made in the same facility, and were often made from some superb tone wood. If it sounds good tonally, then there's no need to mess it about!
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
If the paints fine just leave it alone. Maybe new hardware and Pups. Just dont mess with the paint.
Sorry Here is a picture!
The head stock is all marked up and the input jack works but needs to be replaced (loose and won't tighten). Other than that just the gold plating is flaking off.
Attachments:
jedson gibson2.jpg
Last edited by roxon at Mar 23, 2007,
Replace the output jack, switch and pots. Leave the rest for sentimental value. Not to mention that old guitars are sexy.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Take all the hardware off and polish the body, I mean really put some elbow grease into it. Then replace any hardware that needs to go. Don't totally change it, just breath a little new life into it.
Do a super restoration. Modding it in areas like pick-ups and such, but over-all having a stck appearence.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
^^ i'd go with ippon and just clean it up a bit. roxon already likes the tone and replacing even the pots can potentially change it.
Replacing the pots will only change the tone if the threadstarter gets a different value. It's a 50/50 chance, and can be easily remedied.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Well as long as he gets the same value it can only be better right? Before you go changing stuff just clean it up.
I am looking for a real nice fat tone kinda similar to what the guitar has now.
I was thinking of get Seymour Duncan Black/backs but in Gold. The thing is that they are only available through a Guy Named Ed Roman and whether I like them or not, he apparently sales all parts as final sale.
You mean the plastic is gold instead of black?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Sorry, Yes the plastic is gold, but the model is called Black/back.