ive just installed spyware begone! is this a good idea or have i just installed something bad?
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
any more advanced answers?
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
If it was a free d/l then yes, it was a bad idea. If it was a torrent or well known company site d/l then you'll probably be alright.
Quote by slash=legend
ive just installed spyware begone! is this a good idea or have i just installed something bad?

If you haven't heard of it from a pc magazine, it's probably bad. Try a system restore to before you downloaded it.

Adaware SE and Spybot FTW!
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
hahaha when i first read it i thought it said "i just installed spyware"lol
Quote by alliwant
OK, I made a bet witht his guy I know, and I lost...I now have to swallow my own man juice...is there any risk like could I get any diseases from doing this? I'm a virgin so I have no STDs...I don't think...

Answers quickly please!

You are gonna be better off sticking with mainstream products rather than off brands. The larger the firm is, the better their research is going to be and when you are developing antivirus signatures, the bigger the signature database, the better the detection is going to be (if its a signature based av that is).

Plus you are less likely to introduce new vulnerabilities in your system via the product you are using and you are less likely to get something that is a fake product (or worse, a trojan). You may pay more, but you pay for what you get.

I'd also recommend scanning with trendmicro's housecall, its a great antivirus and its web based and free. Its one of the only free solutions I'd ever recommend, its available at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Never, and I mean NEVER download ANY spyware or any other virus protection from the internet. EVER! I don't care how you get it. It's always full of its own spyware or it has a catch and will end up costing. Illegal downloads usually have trojans. Torrents...I've never been a successful torrenter so beware.

It really doesn't pay to cheat here. Just buy a good program. Personally I recommend traveling to your nearest circuit city or similar store and purchasing Panda Internet Security. I've never had any issues and it completely removed all of the spyware I already had. And there was ALOT!!!

>>If you don't have time to read the above two paragraphs then read this...
- Don't be a cheap-ass mutha ****a, buy your anti-whatever programs
- Even good, well done ads can be spyware themselves
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
free ones usually end up causing more problems than they solve, or they simply find the spyware (or say they do, so their product looks good) but they wont actually cleanse it until you buy the product. Adaware is a great product, its what I use, AVG works well too.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Quote by Vedder
free ones usually end up causing more problems than they solve, or they simply find the spyware (or say they do, so their product looks good) but they wont actually cleanse it until you buy the product. Adaware is a great product, its what I use, AVG works well too.

I found that adaware WAS spyware for me. Same with System Doctor and Win(something) 2007. Most free ones have this thing where they kinda work but they don't. Basically you do a scan which will go pretty good. It will "find" an exagerated amount of spyware and tell you you must purchase the product to remove the spyware. then if you buy it then there's something in the liscence agreement that says that they suck and screw horses. No one reads the agreements so they get away clean when their product fails to do anything for your computer.
You also can't trust the reliability of them. I've heard reports of spyware and adware distributors actually paying off anti-spyware companies to lower the threat 'rating' of their malware and/or ignoring it all together.
Quote by mister389
I found that adaware WAS spyware for me. Same with System Doctor and Win(something) 2007. Most free ones have this thing where they kinda work but they don't. Basically you do a scan which will go pretty good. It will "find" an exagerated amount of spyware and tell you you must purchase the product to remove the spyware. then if you buy it then there's something in the liscence agreement that says that they suck and screw horses. No one reads the agreements so they get away clean when their product fails to do anything for your computer.

WinFixer

YOU ARE ROYALLY SCREWED

that is the biggest piece of horrible spyware ever. It is quite literally evil. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of.
Quote by dazzler16
WinFixer

YOU ARE ROYALLY SCREWED

that is the biggest piece of horrible spyware ever. It is quite literally evil. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of.

WAS screwed. Got rid of it, thank God.

Yeah it's evil. horridly evil. But it's gone now, thanks to panda internet security. 50 bucks bought me the best anti everything ive used and it can be used on 3 pcs!
Quote by mister389

Let me clear things up for everyone, ADAWARE SE and SPYBOT ARE NOT SPYWARE.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Ad-aware SE, Sbybot: Search & Destroy, AVG, and Sygate work very well for me, as long as I'm:

a) not retarded with what I do online
b) on top of them, updating often and scanning weekly.

Should be good for most users.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by dazzler16
WinFixer

YOU ARE ROYALLY SCREWED

hmm.. i had it before too.. but I'm pretty sure it's back ;_; any tips on how to get rid of it?
I use Avast. Works well, and is free.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Riddler
Ad-aware SE, Sbybot: Search & Destroy, AVG, and Sygate work very well for me, as long as I'm:

a) not retarded with what I do online
b) on top of them, updating often and scanning weekly.

Should be good for most users.

i scan daily lol
Quote by fthexscene
hmm.. i had it before too.. but I'm pretty sure it's back ;_; any tips on how to get rid of it?

My dad got a version of Ad-Aware SE Professional (the one you pay for), and it was able to detect it. Unfortunately, every time it detected it, the comp would restart. We eventually got it with Ad-Aware, but it involved a lot of fast clicking.