Okay, so it seems that soonish I will have some serious money to put towards my rig,about £2,500 so for now Ive been looking but I'm not sure on what I can get for this sort of money. Currently I have a LP Studio for my main guitar which I quite like.That and I have a peavey valveking with groove tubes which isnt to bad.
The sound im after.... like an old metal distorsion sound, like old grindcore. Old school napalm death, or a bit like deaths sound.Ive tried marshalls but they dont seem to have the bass prescence, and seem quite trebly.
My current thoughts have been maybe getting a Mesa Solo 50 head, putting groove tubes in it which should beef up the mid ranges, and then running it through an old marshall cab.
Suggestions on setups that could get me this sort of sound ?
Have you tried the jcm800 head etc? They were the basis for alotta metal back in the 80's when metal was biggest. But yeah the mesa should do you well - deff great amps
The Mesa idea would sound really nice. Why not just find out what the band your after, plays out of? Even if it is just an idea. If you see multi bands using the same head/cab., then test it out and see if you like it.
Quote by phillikesguitar
Have you tried the jcm800 head etc? They were the basis for alotta metal back in the 80's when metal was biggest. But yeah the mesa should do you well - deff great amps

I tried one of the combos once, and though it wasnt to bad, but it didnt seem to have the low end prescence I expected. Maybe the heads are better though, or they sound better cranked, I'll probs have to have a second look. especially since they so much more reasonably priced than the mesas in the uk. its about £1500 for a solo 50 head, and im pretty sure in the US people get them for alot less, so i might try something for more value for my money, and jcms seem quite reasonably priced over here.

Or I've been looking at an Engl Thunder Head, which seems very reasonalble for 600 pound, though maybe with a bit of a modern voicing. I was thinking if i used that with a sans amp PSA-1, or similar maybe I could get that old metal sound.
Last edited by Def at Mar 24, 2007,
the head of any amp will definetly have a deeper bass because of its 4X12 as opposed to the combo of a 1X12. thats why most guitarists generallly have heads.