Hi.

I decided i need some new gear.

i have a price range of about 800$, which i want to split evenly between a guitar and a pedal.

Ive been playing for 5 years and I am not bad.

I like punk stuff, like bad religion, operation ivy, rise against, no trigger. and ska. I also like a bit of prog like dream theater and muse. And i play in the school jazz band, so i should probably take that into consideration.

I know pretty much nothing about what makes a guitar good and could really use some advice on what to buy. I was thinking about getting a schecter for the harder rock sound, and maybe a line 6 pod pedal. If anyone has experience with these, or thinks they know a guitar/pedal that i would like, let me know what you think.

Thank you.
I've seen emo-er.

Member of the "I am a Fan of Gaycore Wrestle-Metal" Fanclub.
So you're spending 400 on a guitar and 400 on a pedal?
Hmmmm....

Just a suggestion, but you might wanna rethink this.
You can get a nice pedal with multiple effects for around $200... leaving you $600 for the guitar.

A *MUCH* better goal to shoot for.

AS i said on another thread about 2 minutes ago... try a few Ibanez models. Not the bottom of the line model listed in my gear list ( which i am soon replacing with an RG series Ibanez ).

And yeah, try a few others as well.. Fender, Jackson, Washburn.

You never know which one will "play itself".

That's a magic moment. You'll know when it happens.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
Schecter is definitly the way to go. My Schecter plays anything with ease, there is virtually no limitation on what type of music I can play. But it is definitly great for hard rock/punk and such stuff. If possible get one with EMG Pickups cause that's what I have so that's what my advice would work with, but I'm sure any Schecter will do. Besides the sound, they feel pretty amazing to play. They have the quality of guitars twice the price. And I really should be getting paid for this advertisement.
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli
Yes, but if Bob Dylan were from Holland, he'd be an asshole.

Member #3 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
I say don't crap this up.

100% of your money should go on your guitar unless if you have a crap amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
so.. i guess 400/400 is not the way to go. but don't pedals have a greater effect on the actual sound than the guitar? maybe im just a noob.

Quote by CemtaryDrive10
Schecter is definitly the way to go. My Schecter plays anything with ease, there is virtually no limitation on what type of music I can play. But it is definitly great for hard rock/punk and such stuff. If possible get one with EMG Pickups cause that's what I have so that's what my advice would work with, but I'm sure any Schecter will do. Besides the sound, they feel pretty amazing to play. They have the quality of guitars twice the price. And I really should be getting paid for this advertisement.

yeah a played a schecter at my local guitar center the other day and was quite impressed. I was also thinking about getting a fender strat.

and what would be a good pedal for 200-250?
I've seen emo-er.

Member of the "I am a Fan of Gaycore Wrestle-Metal" Fanclub.
schecters just feel so cheap to me, veneer tops (not solid figured maple!)
overly chunky necks. and bad fretboards.
for you id say go to an ibanez s series. along with telecasters their some of the most versatile guitars out there.
but go out and try a whole bunch, jackson may be a bit too metal for you, but try everything you possibly can
Pedals color your tone and they are, in no way, more important than the guitar, but they do play a large factor in the tone you're getting.

In the case of pedals....what do you have in mind?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Well everyone already said it but don't split the cash down the middle for a pedal and a guitar. As for a guitar choice for you look into Schecters as previously noted (Classic or Plus). Also you could check out the SE series for PRS or a Fender Mexi Fat Strat. As for a pedal I need more info. It seems like you want a multi effects box. If so I say get single pedals and really shape your tone with quality stomp boxes as time goes on. If your set on a multieffects unit I think Boss or someone should make at least decent models. I for one won't be much help here as the only multi effects unit I ever used is my Pandora.

Also: WHAT AMP DO YOU HAVE?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I'm thinking you should spend aound 150 on either a Dimebag or Slash Wah or about 200 on a good overall effects board. And then judging on your type of music, you should get either a solid ESP,Schecter, or Jackson.
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R