For the head or the combo, is there a mod or something you can do so that it stays clean when the volume goes past 11 oclockish? I'd rather have a clean sound and use pedals.
there might be, but with something that has low wattage like that your going to have a hard time getting a lot of headroom.

and be prepared for people to get all pissed off that you dont like the "true tube distortion" of the VJ, because you obviously havent developed your ear for tone yet.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i know i was being sarcastic, but im not sure what you could do to increase the headroom.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Na, not really. You could buy a volume boost pedal, but the speaker isn't going to be able to handle too much.
There's a couple of things you can do:

Get a preamp tube that has a lot of headroom and as little gain as possible. I know eurotubes has low gain 12ax7s, though I think they're called something different...

You can also get a high-wattage speaker so it doesn't distort near as quickly...I'm unsure how high wattage you could get for an 8 ohm speaker. I'd look into a jensen p8r alnico magnet speaker - I have one and it doesn't break up too quickly. You might even be able to use a high-fidelity speaker like the ones used for stereos, but I could easily be wrong on that.

If you're willing to work on the amp, you can use voltage dividers to figure out what value resistors you would need to replace the stock ones with on the board before it gets to the preamp.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Mar 23, 2007,
I remember there was a mod that made the VJ have a lot of clean headroom, and with a flick of a switch, you can make it go into distortion
Search it up.
^^^ I believe that would be jumping R6 and adding a SPST switch across R7. The people at 18watt know quite a bit about the evj, so you might want to go there for better answers. Or kerry (?) could help you out.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
don't do it man...
get all the tube saturation u can!!!
it's the way to go!!!
get another amp if u need clean sound and get a A/B switch pedal
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
don't do it man...
get all the tube saturation u can!!!
it's the way to go!!!
get another amp if u need clean sound and get a A/B switch pedal

You realize that you can install switches and pots over certain components in the amp to switch back and forth between cleans and gain? This amp doesn't have to be a one-trick pony if you'll willing to invest the time and a couple of bucks into it. A drill press is handy as well...

You can install a 250k pot over R9 to act as an attenuator if you want.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Actually jumpering R7 with an SPST toggle gives it more gain. There is a mod that will give the VJ pretty much solid cleans when just about dimed. Its called the NFB (Negative Feedback) mod. Some older Fenders had that and thats were the design for modding a VJ in this way comes from. I dont have a schematic, but there is one floating around on 18watt.com or you google it.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
You realize that you can install switches and pots over certain components in the amp to switch back and forth between cleans and gain? This amp doesn't have to be a one-trick pony if you'll willing to invest the time and a couple of bucks into it. A drill press is handy as well...

You can install a 250k pot over R9 to act as an attenuator if you want.

lmao. first, you cant just throw in switches and pots over any component in there like it seems like your saying.

second, R9 is a cathode resistor and will do no such thing as attenuate or anything. It will just make it sound from stock to crap with a pot there....
Put 12au7's (lowest gain 12ax7 type tube) in the preamp.

That should give you some more room. But the majority of breakup at 11 on the volume will be powertube. Simply put, theres nothing you can do about it.

What kinda tubes do those take? EL84's? If so you may search out an EL84 brand with max headroom.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals