So i have this issue, I really like to sing and play, but i hate doing it in front of other people...even my parents. I was in a musical once so a bunch of my friends pressure me to sing and i become way self-conscious...i guess i don't want them to make a big deal out of me doing so. Anyway...my problem is I was just invited to do this acoustic show at a local venue and i'm stuck. Oh, it might be good for me to mention I record my stuff and have a myspace thing so my friends can listen...but i can't play for them in person...any suggestions/opinions?

Help!
-Nooey
Quote by Zeppelin08
Yea I feel the same way too, I try to be good because I burn very easly so I wouldn't last long in Hell, unless they have sunblock there.

Quote by excalibur672
You're more desprate than a man paying for a hooker on credit.
Honestly and seriously, get a little drunk for your first couple shows, makes everything easier. Just don't overdo it or make it a habit.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
just do it
**** what everyone else thinks u wont ever see a lot of the people again...besides if its a first impression make yourself look good
im a quiet kid too im really shy at work but since i started ive become less shy and just wanna be really loud at work but i cant cause everyone will be like "wow yesterday u didnt say one thing now u wont shut the **** up"
does that relate to your problem?
Deep breaths always help. Also remember, 9 times out of 10 if you do mess up (not saying you will) no one but yourself will notice. Something I'd recommend is start trying to play for just one person, then gradually work your way up from there.
Quote by chrismacker

im a quiet kid too im really shy at work but since i started ive become less shy and just wanna be really loud at work but i cant cause everyone will be like "wow yesterday u didnt say one thing now u wont shut the **** up"
does that relate to your problem?

I know all about that feeling.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Quote by happytimeharry
Deep breaths always help. Also remember, 9 times out of 10 if you do mess up (not saying you will) no one but yourself will notice. Something I'd recommend is start trying to play for just one person, then gradually work your way up from there.

And make sure that person isn't a musician! Musicians tend to be very critical.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
When is this thing on? It takes a while to build confidence.

I think you (and I would not give this advice normally) drop out if it is too close to the date its on. You need to start playing in front of people you know first because friends wouldn't lie. I know you are probably pretty good but you need to build confidence before you even think about going in front of an audience because, and I garuntee this will happen, feel cold inside and you will be sweating on the outside. your hands will be sweaty but you will not be able to move your fingers properly. your voice will be hoarse.

It will be 10 times worse if you can see the Audience a light to blind you is Advised.

I am not actualy trying to deter you. This has happened to me before(not on stage playing for friends) but it is harder to play for friends than normal people because you value friends opinion more. So practise in front of friends for the next month or two and you will be OK by the time of the gig. Nervousness is good to an extent.

If you do it then just concentrate on yourself. Introduce yourself say its your first Gig. and then the audience (should be) more forgiving.

I have never been on stage for music(I have played in front of 200 people but that was just them singing not me I was playing my Guitar.)
I have acted though and I can say the buzzz you will get beforehand (if you believe you are ready) will carry you through the Gig.
thanks a lot for the input...its next month sometime...so i'm not sure...i've been acting since i was 6 so i'm used to being in front of people, but when it comes to being myself (such as this, and speeches too actually) i get so nervious. its also a very small venue in a small town (only like 9010 people here) so i'd mostly likely see most of the people again.

-Nooey
Quote by Zeppelin08
Yea I feel the same way too, I try to be good because I burn very easly so I wouldn't last long in Hell, unless they have sunblock there.

Quote by excalibur672
^9010 people...you have a shitload of friends.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Between now and then start gradually playing more few smaller audiences. Once you take the first step you'll be well on your way, it's just about getting confidence.

Before you go on stage, take deep breaths in through your nose. That will help you to slow your heart rate, because the oxygen also is absorbed through your nose. Sounds weird, but it helps.

When you're onstage, just let yourself find the groove and get into it. Sometimes I'll be playing a song, then suddenly, it's over, and I have no idea what just happened. Find the groove, and you'll forget the audience.

And being prepared (as in, practice a lot) will really help reduce stage fright. I've done a few gigs where I wasn't at all prepared and it will never happen again. If I can't go out onstage and say that I've done every single thing that I could to learn my songs and get them down cleanly, well, then I'm nervous about some song or some part and it hangs over you... that anxiety can be distracting.

Just go out and do the best you can do, being nervous only gets in the way of that... you know you can do it, just do it.
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 24, 2007,
The first step is definitly to start playing and singing in front of your parents a lot. A year ago I would have never sang to my parents, but today it´s hard to shut me up. Once your parents are used to hearing you sing, you´ve done a big step. Also before playing in front of other people, I like to think of how nothing really matters. All these people might be just in my mind, so who cares if I **** up? Might seem a bit overly philosophical, but it works for me.
i personnally find playing for parents is harder than anyone else so dont worry about that;
start with a clos friend/cousin who wont mind if you screw up
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
find a pair of shades and wear them so you can't see the crowd.
Epiphone SG Limited
Marshall VS65R
DS-1
DD-3
GE-7
Dunlop Original Wah
Quote by x0ny
find a pair of shades and wear them so you can't see the crowd.

Or perhaps the opposite, so she/he/it can see the crowd but they can't see her/him/it.
Shades used to help me, but I tend to have a couple of cans of red bull before I go on. Not only does it give me a massive energy boost for the whole set, but it makes the nerves go away.
Thanks for the input, I'm going to seriously consider it and see if i can get past my nerves.

Quote by Cocnut Rag
^9010 people...you have a shitload of friends.

No, I meant that's how many people are in my town...that its a small town.
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
I had the same thing.
one day I got called to do a gig, I only had 2 days to learn the song and 1 band practice. I was extremely nervous, I couldn't play the songs perfect (good but not perfect) and when I was backstage I did my warming up exercises, walked,... finaly I got upstage and I was nervous, but when I started playing the nerves floated away.
and now I'm loud, never nervous to do things in front of people, I like to get atention,...

just learn the songs wel, don't think to much when you ae on stage, and DON'T get drunk not even a little bit, I whas drunk and I had to play a few songs and I totaly ****ed it up... maybe drink some redbull that gives you allot of energy.
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.