No, not the lyrics. I'm trying to find the right vocal notes to use along with a riff of mine.

So any tips or tricks?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Play the music it is to go over on a loop/repeatedly and just sing random things till you hear something you like and note it down. And repeat till it's done
Your mind rarely lets you choose notes that don't fit.
there are a ton of ways to do this, but the way that sounds best to me is contrary motion. for example: say you progression goes from an F up to a C, you would want your vocals to go from a higher F down to a lower C. tried to give you the jist of it cuz i dont feel like typing.
What I meant by that was that I've already got a riff and lyrics ready to go. I just need the right pitches behind the words. I also have no idea how to write pitches behind words. I'm not sure if you just make up another melody in the same key or sing along with the riff.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
What I meant by that was that I've already got a riff and lyrics ready to go. I just need the right pitches behind the words. I also have no idea how to write pitches behind words. I'm not sure if you just make up another melody in the same key or sing along with the riff.

Sing the lyrics. Record it. Figure out the notes on your guitar.

Bingo! You have your vocal melody.
Quote by MusicalMinority

I understand exactly what you're saying.

I am a singer more than a guitarist. I've tried to sing for a few bands, and I can sing along to my favorite song very well, but when it gets down to making your own vocals - it's a whole new ball game.

Writing a vocal melody that goes along with a guitar riff, but doesn't completely follow it.

One thing that I do is repeat the riff and loop it over and over and just try to relax and not focus too hard, and just see if something comes to me. Occasionally you get a good vocal melody...

My problem is that I always want to sing the exact notes that the guitar is playing... and obviously you can't always do that. It would sound boring and awful.

Listen to some of your influences and really focus on how they sing. Usually words and syllables of the lyrics break down and change during the drum beat, or the guitars strumming. Also, a single vocal note is often held while instruments will go through several... and as soon as a significant beat or strum happens, the vocal note will change again.

The talent comes from emphasizing the changes and sounding like a different melody than the guitar.

If anyone has any advice for me or the threadstarter that would be awesome.
Last edited by Derickonfire at Mar 25, 2007,
for the start dun worry about the words just sing la-la, its hell easier i found
Wisest is she who knows she does not know.