I started playing guitar by using my thumb to pick, not a pick. I got pretty good t it, I can play pretty fast with it, but everyone says use a pick and it would be a lot easier. When I use a pick, my music doesnt have the same flow as with my thumb. Do you guys have any suggestions for using a pick? And do you guys know of any guitarists who have used just thumb, just to make me feel better?I've been playing for 6-7 months.
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
Last edited by bobbyj84 at Mar 23, 2007,
My advice for using a pick is don't, if you are comfortable with your thumb then use it. Don't change your style because someone says it is weird.
yeah stay with the thumb if you like it. also easier if some bassist says "hey try this thing out!" i guess.
ya i agree^

but if you do want to change it, make sure your only using our wrist, no elbow action is needed
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by bobbyj84
I started playing guitar by using my thumb to pick, not a pick. I got pretty good t it, I can play pretty fast with it, but everyone says use a pick and it would be a lot easier. When I use a pick, my music doesnt have the same flow as with my thumb. Do you guys have any suggestions for using a pick? I've been playing for 6-7 months.

Is your name Zack by any chance? A kid goes to my school asked me that same question. My advice to you is just do whatever you feel is comfortable.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Two things, one you can't use a pick probably because you not used to it, i was the same way for the first half year of playing i used my thumb, then i used a pick for 3 months, then relized i should alternate pick. Then after getting good at that i learned to finger pick, then combine the two. Anywho, if your comfortable with it keep it up, check out Wes Montgomery, he's was an amazing guitar player, and was all thumb, and could pull off some pretty fast licks.
using your thumb is perfectly fine as long as you have the right technique. playing fast shouldn't be a problem if you use alternate picking along with practice. the thumb will give your sound a unique tone which is another plus.
Just learn how to use your fingers in conjunction with it, you'll probably be able to play wonderuflly if you can combine the two.
My advice for using a pick is don't, if you are comfortable with your thumb then use it. Don't change your style because someone says it is weird.

Ugh it's really, really dumb that people are telling you not to bother learning picking because using the thumb's "your style". LEARN HOW TO PICK. It would be different if your were using your fingers too, but just thumb is NOT a good technique. You'll only realize how much not being able to pick is limiting you when you start to get the hang of picking.
Practice picking seriously for a month or too and you'll be surprised about how much more effectively you can play. It'll take a little time for you to begin to feel where the pick is on the strings without having to look at it, but once you can, you will be amazed. I promise.
it all depends on your style really. what'dya play? classical? then stay with thumb. john mayer uses his thumb for certain licks in his blues music. but still, do try to pick.
1) you can then be good with a pick and without
2) you can play other music, metal...
3) so people will stop calling you weird. lol

good luck mate.
KsE

You know they rock.
If you just use your thumb then stop and do wither of the following

pick up a pick and learn to use it or

learn to finger style the electric guitar ala jeff beck and peter green, I would go with the finger picking route because it gives you so much more options, but if your into metal and shredding then the pick is the way to go although seeing a metal guitarist playing fingerstyle would be pretty amazing if he has it down right.