How do i properly take care of an unfinished neck? Ive heard that they can warp and become damaged due to moisture.
the best option would be to get a wood which dosnt require finish, many of the exotic necks from warmoth dont require a finish.

but the only way to "take care" of one that requires finish but is left unfinished would be to well...put finish on it.
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
tung oil
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
tung oil

That would make it a finished neck.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
But arent all necks dipped in some kind of oil? I dont know if its tung or not though. Because most wood is at least stained and the neck i have looks stained.
my X40 isnt, its finished with high grit sandpaper 9im going to guess in the 750+ range)

just wash your hands before you play, not harder to keep clean
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Jake.E.Rhoads
But arent all necks dipped in some kind of oil? I dont know if its tung or not though. Because most wood is at least stained and the neck i have looks stained.

Well then it's not unfinished, now is it?

What kind of guitar do you have?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Jake.E.Rhoads
I have a peavey wolfgang. Staining and finishing are two different things right?

Nope.
Quote by utsapp89
Eh....stain gives the wood a certain coloring, which finish seals that in and protects the wood.

If it is a maple neck, I believe you can take some super fine (highest grade) steel wool to the neck to remove the finish, and the maple is hard enough that it doesn't require anything to protect it, unless you live in a overly dry or humid place. Even then, you would probably have to wipe the neck down after playing.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Mar 25, 2007,
When people usually say 'unfinished' they mean 'unpainted, non-glossy'.

So you'll just have a neck in either a) thin clear satin coat or b) tung oil.

If it's satin coated, it'll be fine. If it's tung oil, you just need to re-oil it periodically.
dry it when your finished playing
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial