If I matched a Ibanez Tube screamer with an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff into a Fender Hot Rod amp with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Would I be able to play metal like Pantera and Metallica with these pedals?
no.

although, if i use my AXS 32, my amp already on 5 1/2 gain, on bridge pickup, and activate my DS-1 with distortion on 7, i can get decent pantere.
The only Fender that will do metal well is an old Fender Performer 650. I mean it is a practice amp but it is a little monster. Its got a huge amount of of gain, and with a boost its real nasty (in a good way). Its not a popular amp because it was during the Fender transition years but in my opinion it has served me well for the last 2 years. This amp WILL NOT leave my family, its just that good. Its about 12 years old and all I had to do was replace an input jack. It was my uncles then he moved to accoustic so he said If I wanted to pay to have it fixed it was mine. It is loud as hell....no joke man. I have never had it up past 4. And that includes jamming with another guitarist with a full stack triple recto and a drummer. I'm not saying go buy one because I would be real surprised if you found one. I'm just saying your chances of doing metal well with a Fender is slim. But then again thats why they make pedals....but it wont suffice for the real thing unless its a 650. But in the rare chance anyone does come along one of these, I would reccoment swapping out the stock speaker to really bring it to life. I got lucky and by the time I got it, it had a vintage Fender speaker in it. So no....I recomend saving up for something that is meant for metal.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
I have a Fender Strat with a HB in the bridge and a Fender Blues Deluxe amp and I can get a pretty good metal sound out of it. my pedal though is a boss OS-2, which I think my be a little more metal sounding that a tubescreamer. a tubescreamer, I believe is more blues and hard rock, not metal.

aside from the right pedal, the key to getting a metal tone (or any other tone for that matter) is getting all the settings right on the amp, pedal, and guitar.
Just to clarify when I said you cant get metal from a Fender I mean a far as amps go... Plenty of people use Fender guitars in the world of metal.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die