Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I am primarily a metal guitar player, but recently I have been listening to a lot of funk, mostly Red Hot Chili Peppers and John Frusciante. I was wondering what guitars you guys recommend for funk and lighter melodies.

Thanks for your time.
i saw some guy funkin it up with a gibson sg. also try fender strats
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
jimmy page is always right...... go with the stratocastor made in any other than mexico editions please
^I'd choose a 70's over a 60's for funk.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
for funk you probably at least want to go with something that has a nice neck pickup, something like a SD Jazz works incredibly for funk with the right amp. But yea a strat is the natural choice.
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
^+1

john frusciante uses a 60's
and he's one of the best funk guitarists ever
and i believe hillel slovak used a strat (dont know what model though) too

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
In my experience, funk is such a broad genre that pretty much every type of well-rounded guitar will work just fine. Now, I don't think a schecter loaded with 2 EMGs will be your best choice, but I can say that any strat or les paul will do the trick just fine.

I find that switching to heavier strings made a huge difference - I have an Agile AL-3000 myself and put 11s in it up from 9s, and the tone is much thicker and tangier.
-XKR
Quote by XKR
In my experience, funk is such a broad genre that pretty much every type of well-rounded guitar will work just fine. Now, I don't think a schecter loaded with 2 EMGs will be your best choice, but I can say that any strat or les paul will do the trick just fine.

I find that switching to heavier strings made a huge difference - I have an Agile AL-3000 myself and put 11s in it up from 9s, and the tone is much thicker and tangier.

+1

and strats are great.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by krip420
jimmy page is always right...... go with the stratocastor made in any other than mexico editions please

there's nothing wrong with the mim strats they play beautifully when you can find one that plays nice otherwise the rest are usually just meh
Basically anything with single coils would be a good choice. I'm not sure I would say p-90s though. Probably either a strat or tele, but a Gretsch would probably be a good choice too. (not to mention ridiculously awesome).
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Chips-
Strat or a tele. John uses both

i like the strat better though..
^_^
Quote by hendriko
^+1

yeah, Fru uses 3 '60's and 1 '50's. Hillel had a '70's. oh, and Kartman, why dyou think the '70's are better for funk?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Chips-
Strat or a tele. John uses both

yeh but he only uses a tele in 1 song.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Strat or nothing for funk, position 2 on a strat is just about the funkiest sound there is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's all about the Strat here matey
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by krip420

Well you're a noob.

MIM strats are good guitars.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
If by funk you mean Red Hot Chili Peppers and only the Red Hot Chili Peppers then you'll want a strat. If you mean actual funk and not just RHCP you should look at strats, teles, and Carvins.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by krip420

Or buy a MIM and upgrade the pups to BareKnuckle pickups or Lindy Fralin Vintage hots, or just get a whole electronics upgrade http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by nephi
hendriko, is your sig for real? *snicker*
I saw the thread, some guy ordered a Marshall DSL401 off musiciansfriend, they sent him a Fender MIJ 60's Custom Telecaster with Bigsby in Sunburst.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I was talking about older chili peppers when i said funk...
and newer when i said lighter melodies.
Quote by hendriko
^+1

All the pictures of hillel, i have seen him with a 70's strat. I would definitely go for a 70's over a 60's.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
All the pictures of hillel, i have seen him with a 70's strat. I would definitely go for a 70's over a 60's.

why would you take a '70's over a '60's? ive asked this earlier, but nobody answered.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
IBANEZ!! haha im just kidding
nothing is better for funk than a strat with vintage-y pickups
i say get a MiM strat with a set of GFS Premium Vintage
tis what i have, and it does funk great!
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by nephi
hendriko, is your sig for real? *snicker*

yup
i havent seen the thread
but i heard about it
and i thought it was hilarious

Quote by MrCarrot
I saw the thread, some guy ordered a Marshall DSL401 off musiciansfriend, they sent him a Fender MIJ 60's Custom Telecaster with Bigsby in Sunburst.

and the guitar in the end was worth more than the amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by rhcp_freak
why would you take a '70's over a '60's? ive asked this earlier, but nobody answered.

I remember seeing a thread were Kartman said to get a 70's because everyone has a 60's style. So by getting a 70's you were unique.

Personally, I would get a 60's myself.
The 70's were made when CBS bought Fender. The produced lower quality strats, which is one of the reasons I like 60's(60-64) better.
Quote by Kevin97220
I remember seeing a thread were Kartman said to get a 70's because everyone has a 60's style. So by getting a 70's you were unique.

Personally, I would get a 60's myself.
The 70's were made when CBS bought Fender. The produced lower quality strats, which is one of the reasons I like 60's(60-64) better.

yeah, which is why i was unsure why Kartman said that the '70's would be better.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
My Jackson i sreally good in funk. Middle single conected with one coil from my bridge humbucker on clean channel sounds great but IMO best guitars to this music are Fenders
Quote by Stacked Actors
If by funk you mean Red Hot Chili Peppers and only the Red Hot Chili Peppers then you'll want a strat. If you mean actual funk and not just RHCP you should look at strats, teles, and Carvins.

I would say strat or tele. You have to be careful when u get into carvins though. They make AWESOME guitars but most are copies or based off of guitars produced by fender, esp, prs, and ibanez. They do have some original stuff though but if you do go w/ carvin make sure that you try it first and that its not a copy because if it is why not just get the orignal?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by krip420

made in mexico fenders are excellent for the money... they almost always have a great neck pick up, and they are also usually very playable... with any brand there are going to be a few lemons... but with a pup change and some locking tuners made in mexico strats can rival made in usa strats
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by krip420

wtf do you have against mexicans?

racist.

seriously, if you can find a good one, go for it!
Quote by steven seagull
Strat or nothing for funk, position 2 on a strat is just about the funkiest sound there is.

Thats how I feel.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Not to be original............but......................yeah you should definatly go with a Strat.............American made if u can manage it
Fat strat. The neck pickup is perfect for those soft rythms, but the bridge is great for that bright, funky attack.
Dickless.
Page 1 of 2