Im planning to buy a halfstack within the next three months. Ive played thorough a couple of heads and ive narrowed it down to some final choices.
These are them:

*Marshall JCM 2000 TSL $999 used / just the head
*Peavey XXX $999 new / Head only
*Peavey 6505 $800 used / head + cab (dunno how this will stay on craiglists )
*Peavey Valve King $899 head + cab
*Mesa Single Recto Solo $899 used - head

Ive played through all of these except the Mesa (im going tommrow) but i just wanted to know everyones general opinion. I have a limit of about $1000 , if i were to buy one of the heads , i would have to skimp out on the cab and go cheap until i could afford a decent one. I played through the Marshall today and i was blown away by it. But the thing is i usually play alot of types of rock music from Trivium to Placebo to Saosin. (kinda weird eh?) Can i get some opinions on what i should do given my budget and musical intrests?

thanks
we must become the change we want to see.
if you play hardly any cleans, 6505 hands down.
If its varied you might be able to score an el diablo if its used.
When you try mesa keep in mind the amps they may not have which IMO ar ebetter than the rect series such as the mark series(1-4), and the Dual caliber
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
you found a TSL head for $1000 used?

can't you get like a DSL combo for that?

that'd be enough even for gigging

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I really enjoyed the ultra gain channel.But im not sure if the Marshall DSLs have that specific channel?
this is my first time venturing into tube amps......its kinda exciting and i want to make a good informed decision.

I guess the 6505 is out of the question since i do play cleans quite often (switches in between distortion).
well
dual super lead
and triple super lead

i guess the DSL doesnt have the ultra gain channel

but i head that the TSL sounds kinda muddy compared to the DSL
i'd recommend at least to try it out

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Yeah, the Recto Series just seems to be cool because of the looks,(And the seriously high gain.) But, Mesa is for sure the way to go. Unless, you want to try Traynor. Look At My Sig! There is only one Traynor head on the market right now, and damn near impossible to find. BUT, the specs make it seem like a Diezel head, which are $4,000. I have also played this amp on many occasions and I am very amused. So here you are:

Selectable 100-watt / 30-watt all tube output
Powered by four EL34EH's and four 12AX7A's
Auto-matching tube circuit maintains bias balance as tubes age ensuring hum free performance throughout tube life.
3 completely independant footswitchable channels
Master Volume, Presence and Resonance controls
Long Accutronics Spring Reverb with seperate level controls on all 3 channels
9 different voicing switches including Scoop, Modern, Bright and Boost
DynaSound speaker compensated headphone and DI outputs for silent recording and practicing
Black Nubtex covering, all plywood cabinet construction
All metal grille, bar handles and corners
Custom 4 button footswitch for channel and Solo Boost functions included
Classic Traynor logo and Vintage styling "chicken beak" knobs

Edit: They have them on Ebay every so often for $800. And 3 fully independant channels are only found on amps 3 times the price.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Last edited by CarbonDeath at Mar 24, 2007,
^ i doubt its exactly liek a diezal, but i do agree wiht it being better than SOME marshal's, namely the jcm2000 series. wevery traynor i playe di liked better than teh jcm2000.

and dont completely rule out the 6505 just yet. IT has adequate cleans but its not sparkling, but its clean. Try ti out again, and see if teh clean channel fits you. IMO they have much better low end and high gain sound than the recto series.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by hendriko
well
dual super lead
and triple super lead

Ill be sure to find one to try out. This was acutally my first marshall ive tried out (well other than a crummy mg). Guitar Center has a bunch of Marshalls everywhere , most of them used , so im hoping there is one. Anyone try the mode four marshall?

As for the Traynor , i think it would be difficult for me to find one , but ill be sure to look around. Thanks for all your input guys , its really appreciated!
Quote by hendriko
well
dual super lead
and triple super lead

Ill be sure to find one to try out. This was acutally my first marshall ive tried out (well other than a crummy mg). I was actually amazed how defined the distortion was in comparison to the Peaveys. Guitar Center has a bunch of Marshalls everywhere , most of them used , so im hoping there is one. Anyone try the mode four marshall?

As for the Traynor , i think it would be difficult for me to find one , but ill be sure to look around. Thanks for all your input guys , its really appreciated!
nah
dont get mode four
i think its about the same as a used JCM 2000 combo

but the jcm is way superior

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by CarbonDeath
Yeah, the Recto Series just seems to be cool because of the looks,(And the seriously high gain.) But, Mesa is for sure the way to go. Unless, you want to try Traynor. Look At My Sig! There is only one Traynor head on the market right now, and damn near impossible to find. BUT, the specs make it seem like a Diezel head, which are $4,000. I have also played this amp on many occasions and I am very amused. So here you are:

Selectable 100-watt / 30-watt all tube output