i want to spend around $1000-1500 on a really nice scratchy twangy guitar. so far im thinking of something like a fender tele or esquire? i have a fender reissued 1965 super reverb and some effects. Also, i did try a les paul and i didnt like it for the price.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven in within!

All music is emo to some extent so stop whinning about it.
well tele and esquires are pretty much the kings of "twang".

also may want to try out some Rickenbachers and Gretsch as they make some twangy guitars as well, I don't know how much they cost though.
for a twangy surf rock sound
try a jaguar
one of the vintage ones with the sc of sourse

that should sound great through your amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
When it comes to twang, a Fender Jaguar or Tele should do well. If you want something a little bit more original I'd go with a Ricenbacker or Gretsch, like Pontius said.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
^I'd define twang as a very shrill, trebley clean guitar tone.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by nephi
what do you mean by twangy?

I don't know what the original poster means. but when I hear "twangy", I think either a country sound or a Tom Petty type sound. telecasters are very often the guitar of choice in country music and I believe Petty plays a Rickenbacher.
Quote by EV0L
i want to spend around $1000-1500 on a really nice scratchy twangy guitar. so far im thinking of something like a fender tele or esquire? i have a fender reissued 1965 super reverb and some effects. Also, i did try a les paul and i didnt like it for the price.

A tele would be perfect but I don't think esquires are all that great unless you just like the minimalist vibe. I used to want an esquire but I didn't realize how crucial the neck pickup of the tele was until I tried the esquire. The bridge pu postion which bypasses the tone pot sounds really good though.

And +1 to Rickenbacker and Gretsch
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Tele...... nuff said........ with SUPER BRIGHT AMPS... supposedly Fenders, Vox ACs, or Dr.Zs.........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
+1 for the Esquire

The improvement in tone you get from the bridge pickup outweighs losing the neck pickup.
Quote by Dale_kerigan
onomatopoeia

yay! another UGer who can spell that word! a cookie to you my friend
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
american deluxe tele
amazing guitars
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
You might want to give an Ernie Ball Albert Lee Signature model a try, i heard great stuff about it and it has just the type of tone you're looking for
If you want a guitar SOLELY for twang, then an Esquire, most definatly, But if you want to use some warmer tones, then get a deluxe tele, then you have twang and the option of the neck and combined.
Tele.

/end thread
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Maybe the tele or a gretsch like the ones chet atkins used is the best one for you. But aside from the guitar, maybe a brighter amp too. Dr. Z or your fender+Tele = nice twang.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
It really depends what you play.

Twang-Machine: Esquire
Classic-Twang: Gretsch or (if you got a stuffed wallet) a Rickenbacker
All-round twang and Cleans: Telecaster
...a compressor helps a lot. It evens out the highs so that you can twang and not be shrill. Instead of ear-piercing highs, you get a nice "pop".
When I hear the word twang one guitar springs immediately to mind and I'm sure you all know what that is - a Telecaster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification