I'm trying to decide between a Marshall, Hiwatt, and Orange. I'm not very keen on Fenders, and am in two minds about Vox. I'm looking for crystal clear, beautiful cleans (very important to me), thick and warm, as well as the ability to handle vast amounts of distortion on occasion. I've owned and like Marshalls, but can't help thinking that the Hiwatt and Orange amps may be step up (as many musicians I admire own them). I can't find anywhere to try them out in NYC, so if someone knows, I'd be grateful. The music I play ranges from indie, alt-country, ambient, post-rock, and experimental.
Last edited by post-rocker at Mar 24, 2007,
So there's no possibility to try out amps in NYC, huh?
Fender Standard Stratocaster Black
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD-7
you're prob looking for a fender supersonic. they have the fender cleans, but also have a nice warm overdrive. in fact, the supersonics are my dream all around amp, lol. if u have the money, thats what u want i say
Just to let you know, A LOT of indie bands and mainstream bands are starting to use orange. I say def. check em' out, bro.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by post-rocker
I can't find anywhere to try them out in NYC, so if someone knows, I'd be grateful.

You can find ANYTHING in NYC. There's not a single thing that city's missing. Did you look around for more than three seconds?

Rudy's on 48th street, right by Sam Ash and Manny's, has Orange amps you can plug into. They also carry the new Mesa Express series, which is another amp you should try before you buy. And if cleans are your priority, I'd cross Marshall off the list and rethink Fender. Check out their Supersonic one time.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I didn't say there aren't places to check out amps in NYC, there are a ton - I just hadn't seen any ORANGE and HIWATT yet. I have been in Rudy's but only browsed quickly, I must've missed the Orange amps, I'll go back in and check 'em out. Thanks.
Last edited by post-rocker at Mar 24, 2007,
Quote by Jinskee
Just to let you know, A LOT of indie bands and mainstream bands are starting to use orange. I say def. check em' out, bro.

+1

Join the Orange revolution!
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Try check out their website and look for the dealers...luckly, I live in the only Island in Hawaii that has the only orange amp dealer...in hawaii. lol.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Try check out their website and look for the dealers...luckly, I live in the only Island in Hawaii that has the only orange amp dealer...in hawaii. lol.

^^ I use to live in hawaii, not the big island though,i lived in pearl harbor.

my first choice would be orange then vox but thats just me,
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.
^Oh really? Yeah, I live in the same island.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I would say you definitely play a Marshall JTM 45
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
I own a marshall and i would say get an Orange amp they are much better
ESP Explorer Custom Shop
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall 1960 A cab
Engl Powerball
Genz Benz G-flex
Washburn Dime 3 custom shop..wanna buy it??
Oranges, Fender Supersonic, Hiwatts are great for cleans, but you'll have to really crank them for OD.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
It all depends on your "versatility" needs. If you want Classic rock and cleans - get an orange. If you want hard rock and cleans - get a Mark IV or Roadking (or maybe an Engl?). People keep mentioning orange, but there is no way to get it to do anything even close to as brutal as a Mark IV or Roadking - just as there is no way a Roadking wll get as good classic rock tones as an Orange. Personally I think the Mark IV has the most all around versatility, but that is just me.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by R_H_C_P
Oranges, Fender Supersonic, Hiwatts are great for cleans, but you'll have to really crank them for OD.

This is true, HiWatts have some of the best clean sounds out there - second only to Fender in my opinion. They also sound great when you shove a good distortion pedal infront of them, as their own distortion isn't fantastic - but sound great when pumped by a pedal.

Oranges have great mid-distortion sounds... they don't do metal well, and they don't have the best cleans in the world, but they sure do some of the best crunch to rock distortions out there at the moment. They're not cheap, but they sure are fantastic amps.

I couldn't tell you which to go for out of those two, for me I'd go for the HiWatts cleans with the Oranges distortions.
I agree, they don't have the best cleans out there, but they do sure great with reverb and chorus....mmm.

And for distortion, they aren't going to be as heavy as the peavey XXX or the 5150 or anyway, it's just pure rock 'n roll.

How much do Hiwatts go for anyway?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Peavey JSX
This amp has one of the best clean channel (according to many people)
Also, very very versatile with 3 channels Clean, Crunch and Ultra.

Check them out

GL
Quote by uldhppi
In my opinion you can't go wrong with Peavey.

i really don't like peavey, i played this one vintage one and it wasg reat but any of the new stuff just seems lost on me
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.
Quote by post-rocker
I didn't say there aren't places to check out amps in NYC, there are a ton - I just hadn't seen any ORANGE and HIWATT yet. I have been in Rudy's but only browsed quickly, I must've missed the Orange amps, I'll go back in and check 'em out. Thanks.

missed the Orange amps??? how? big orange...two things i usually dont miss going into music stores
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by post-rocker
I'm not very keen on Fenders.

This ^

Quote by post-rocker
I'm looking for crystal clear, beautiful cleans (very important to me), thick and warm

Followed by this ^
makes no sense to me...almost blasphemous. I would get a Fender Deluxe Reverb and some distortion pedal, if that's what you want. But for your genres, it really seems like this would be good for you.
4 8 15 16 23 42
Quote by ovvyiljs
Peavey JSX
This amp has one of the best clean channel (according to many people)
Also, very very versatile with 3 channels Clean, Crunch and Ultra.

Check them out

GL

I've spent a long time playing one of these amps, as they used to have one in one of my classrooms last year. I'm not going to say it's a bad amp, it's not... it's a fantastic amp - for bedroom use. The tones are alright, not amazing. If you think the clean sound on it is 'one of the best' then I can assure you you are wrong, it simply doesn't match up to a Hiwatt or a Fender. As for the crunch channel, it's pretty good. Not the thickest of sounds but it is pretty convincing. The ultra channel however is appauling, a very thin sound indeed - would be completely lost in a live situation. You'd be much better off using a boost pedal on the crunch channel.

All in all, the JSX is probably the best bedroom amp you can get - except it costs £1,200. However, I'd never dream of using one live... the sounds are too thin, its actually a very quiet amp, we cranked ours up full and it was still bearable... I can't get my Fender up past about 4 without it being too loud. Its barely passable as a tube amp at all.
Quote by Jinskee

too true, Arctic Monkeys anyone?
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!
Quote by Tom Martin
I've spent a long time playing one of these amps, as they used to have one in one of my classrooms last year. I'm not going to say it's a bad amp, it's not... it's a fantastic amp - for bedroom use. The tones are alright, not amazing. If you think the clean sound on it is 'one of the best' then I can assure you you are wrong, it simply doesn't match up to a Hiwatt or a Fender. As for the crunch channel, it's pretty good. Not the thickest of sounds but it is pretty convincing. The ultra channel however is appauling, a very thin sound indeed - would be completely lost in a live situation. You'd be much better off using a boost pedal on the crunch channel.

All in all, the JSX is probably the best bedroom amp you can get - except it costs £1,200. However, I'd never dream of using one live... the sounds are too thin, its actually a very quiet amp, we cranked ours up full and it was still bearable... I can't get my Fender up past about 4 without it being too loud. Its barely passable as a tube amp at all.

Well, "according to many people" who haved owned Fender and JSX, JSX has a very very good clean channel. Also, are you sure JSX is a very quiet amp? I'ts 120 Watt All-Tube amp, that can blow my house away. Am I missing something here? You're saying the total opposite of everyone I've seen and read from.

Quote by ovvyiljs
Well, "according to many people" who haved owned Fender and JSX, JSX has a very very good clean channel. Also, are you sure JSX is a very quiet amp? I'ts 120 Watt All-Tube amp, that can blow my house away. Am I missing something here? You're saying the total opposite of everyone I've seen and read from.

Yes I am. It is very quiet, well obviously thats a relative term. It's still loud, and by far easily enough to gig with... but nowhere near what you'd expect from a 120W valve amp. I'm not basing my opinions on reviews, I'm basing what I'm sayin on experience... I've been in a room with a JSX cranked up on full, and thats both channel and master volumes on full, going through a Peavey XxX 4x12 cab. With most valve amps you wouldn't be able to get the volume near that - but for some reason unbeknownst to me... the JSX could go up to full and not blow us all away.

As for the clean channel, maybe I just worded it wrong. There is nothing wrong with the clean channel, I'll say there's nothing special with it, nothing worth saying it's the best or anything... but it is good. Same goes with the crunch etc. As I said, it's pretty much the perfect bedroom amp - but you take it on a stage and crank it and you do not get a full valve sound. It's the most SS sounding valve amp I've ever played. Thats all I'm saying I spent about a year playing this amp every week... there was never a single moment where it blew me away.
Mesa Stiletto would probably be my first choice for a do anything amp. I tried one out and it's f'in tasty.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Friedmaniac
Mesa Stiletto would probably be my first choice for a do anything amp. I tried one out and it's f'in tasty.

I think if we could all afford a Mesa Stiletto we'd all own either one of them or a Road King
Quote by slatsmania
You can find ANYTHING in NYC. There's not a single thing that city's missing. .

Umm... space?

Btw, orange and The stiletto or mark IV are ok i think
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
^He did say best all round amp. Also he didn't give a budget. I'm working under the assumption he can afford an amp I will only ever dream of.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Yeah: Mark IV, Roadking, and stilleto FTW. Hehe
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
^And Orange D:.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
id try a peavey jsx. it seems really versatile. check out the clips on peavey.com. also on youtube there is like a 7 minute video of a dude testing one. he plays on all the channels doin a lot of different stuff. its like my dream amp now
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣