Hello All,
Have a question regarding a DI Box.Well...when is it best used ?
One thing I know for sure is that it's a must when using it with a PC software modeller (Guitar Rig 2).I don't use that but what can be other uses ? I run my guitar into the ZOom G2 and into the PC and honestly the tones have ... well,no power,they're kinda muddy.Will a DI Box alleviate the problem ? Also I see on some DI Boxes some attenuation specifications (-20dB...)...are they usable as a power attenuator an a 50W amp let's say...to bring it to dorm levels with no sacrifice to the sound ?
When you play bass or acoustic guitar.

A DI box will help with volume in this case, though that is not their primary purpose, it will help, however a preamp (such as a microphone preamp) is a far better solution.

No, a DI box can't be used as an attenuator.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
yeah live stuff DI boxes are your friend. currently we use them for boosting our mics when we mic acoustic stuff. also for DI'ing bass amps as well as acoustic guitar and guitar amps straight into a mixing desk so that you don't have to have to use an amp as well.
i don't want to hijack the thread, but what exactly is/does a DI box? I saw it once at a gig we did, but the techs just made sure everything worked, so I still don't know what it does exactly.
Thanks for the replies.No problem phantom1.I also have a hard time understanding these things but you can find a little about them on wikipedia.For actual uses I opened this topic.
say u are at a gig and they have a PA system, mixer, speakers that sort of thing. and u dont want to use an amp. you can buy a DI and go in thru the DI box then directly into the mixer. using the CAB Simulator option.

so instead of bringing in ur amp, cab and mic. u would bring in a DI box.

same goes for recording situations.
instead of mic-ing a cab routing out to a recorder. u can line out from a DI box to a recorder, and depending on the box, get realistic, usable tones that simulate a cab.

cheaper DI boxes, will clip, cut out, not sound realistic, get muddy, ect.
so it depends on the box u buy.

other rack mounts, higher end boxes have attenuator options, signal splitting options, and other features.
DIs have many uses.

a good teaching tool, when trying to figure out new equipment, Go to reviews. see how other players use that product. go to the manufacturers website get info and ask other players at gigs.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/GI100/10/1
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
All a DI box does is change your signal from unbalanced to balanced and boost it a little so that you can drive long cables to get to the board.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
^Bingo. I can't really ever think of a reason when you would want to go direct (with no effects) on an electric guitar into a PA. That would sound like utter crud, but for acoustic and bass it is a very useful tool live.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

^sorry, i forgot to add guitar pedals di to mixer.

but yeah, a lot of guys do it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011