I know nothing about pedals and such (both ODs and effects), and I was wondering if any of you had some wonderfull was of giving me the basics I need to know about it all. I need info about which order pedals should be in, what an FX loop is and I've heard stuff about dist/OD pedals going in before the pre-amp or something.

To sum it up, I don't know the first thing about how the pedals interact with the amp, so any help would be appreciated

BTW - I know WHAT a pedal is just not how to use them, where you plug them into your amp etc.

thanks
Do all the people who have viewed but not posted, know nothing about pedals...?

Come on people, pls
Usually Time Modulation effects (e.g. Delays, Choruses, Phasers, Flangers etc) go into the effects loop after the preamp so they effect the pre-amps output and have the cleanest most precise. Other effects, like OD, Whammy, Wah, Fuzz etc go before the pre-amp straight into the front end.
Where do I "insert" the effects that go in before the pre-amp? which input do I use?

And does the order in which I put the various effects matter? or is that pretty much up to me?
Quote by Simon4392
Where do I "insert" the effects that go in before the pre-amp? which input do I use?

And does the order in which I put the various effects matter? or is that pretty much up to me?

It goes like this

Guitar > Cable > Effect > Cable > Effect > Cable > Amp Input.

You'll get the idea. The effects for the Loop go like

FX out > Cable > Effect > Cable > Effect > Cable > FX in

No real order as to where you should have things. Wahs are usualy early on, same with Whammys and Tuners. After that You have ODs And Fuzzes and Distorsions and then EQs and Noise Gates and such. The boss website has a good artical on this stuff
Thanks! I think I've got it now

Also (while I'm here), I've always wondered what the the ideal settings (typical settings) with the amp while using a dist. pedal/OD pedal. I've heard something about dist. pedals usually being used with the amp on a pretty clean setting, and the already on a distorted setting while using a dist. pedal.

Does that sound right? Someone please enlighten me
Last edited by Simon4392 at Mar 24, 2007,
There is a significant difference between OD and distortion.

If you use distortion with an amp that is already distorted, the result is huge feeback and unwanted noise. You want to use distortion pedals only through a clean amp.

OD pedals can be used with both clean and distorted amps. OD simply boosts whatever the amp is already producing. Cleans become slightly dirty, and distortion will get more gain and sustain.

I hope that helps
WTLTL 2011