so this is the deal. everybody in my life (and probably in yours) has always told me that in relationships, opposites attract. me and my girlfriend of 5 months (as of yesterday =]) are nearly the exact same (minus the penis/vagina x]) and we get along real well.
does anybody have any input on what relationships you`ve been in that are like/opposite of this?
ps: i didn`t think this would fit in the relationship thread so correct me if i`m wrong to post it here...thanks =]
me and my gf are the same on things

and things arent going too well at the mo...

so i think in my case, yes, we do kinda repel....

but then again, dont you need the same qualities in a few things with someone else to even consider liking them/going out with them? i mean, you wouldnt go out with someone if you liked grindcore and they liked pop music (pop music annoys me, and no, i dont listen to grindcore) because music is one thing you can both agree on and enjoy together....
me and my girlfriend are the same on some issues, but different on alot more so could be. But i belive you need at least a fair bit of middle ground to even start liking someone, I mean otherwise you would of never gotten talkin in the 1st place if you didnt have some stuff in common...
I find it amazing how some absolutly stunning girls are attracted to some guys that are not exactly fantasticly good looking.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
opposites can attract because you compliment each other- my ex didnt like any of the music i did, i didnt like clubbing but she did, etc etc, and we got on great for 6 months- hell, i even got her to like queens of the stone age and Weird Al yankovic.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
My last girlfriend and I were opposites in everyway and we lasted 3 years. Opposites attract, they don't remain though.
I guess it depends on the couple...me and my gf have differences and similar qualities and we do fine.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
The thing is... If you're exactly the same, then there isn't as much to talk about. If you bring up a subject, usually your partner is already familiar with it and it doesn't take long to die down.

If you're exact opposites, than that could turn out bad too. Because either your partner won't be interested in whatever you bring up, or will insult it. This will lead to problems in the relationship.

If you're different styles of people, with some things in common, it'll work. That way, you can still get along with your partner's views, as well as bring up new and interesting topics to talk about.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
The thing is... If you're exactly the same, then there isn't as much to talk about. If you bring up a subject, usually your partner is already familiar with it and it doesn't take long to die down.

If you're exact opposites, than that could turn out bad too. Because either your partner won't be interested in whatever you bring up, or will insult it. This will lead to problems in the relationship.

If you're different styles of people, with some things in common, it'll work. That way, you can still get along with your partner's views, as well as bring up new and interesting topics to talk about.

Exactly, you need some things in common so you can relate to each other but some differences that make for interesting conversations.
thanks for all the input.
but we do have some differences, but just not as many as other couples.
but we also hold 5 hour phone conversations, so i guess we can still talk even though we have similar views.

Quote by shav0r
Vagina attracts penis, so yes, opposites do attract.

but what if you`re a lesbian x]?
My girlfriend's real big in to writing and all that English class stuff, and I'm a computer geek.
Me and my ex were opposites. Im fat, she's thin. Im ugly, she's hot. She was my first girlfriend, I was her tenth. She was a chav, I was a skater.

We lasted 2 years. Was pretty awesome if you ask me. She introduced me to new things (ie sex), I introduced her to new things (ie decent music).

If there's a spark always follow it, it doesn't matter if you're opposite or the same. Sparks have potential to turn into great big bonfires!
Quote by nick dixon
I find it amazing how some absolutly stunning girls are attracted to some guys that are not exactly fantasticly good looking.

Alot of those stunning girls have really low self-esteem, and are stupid.
The saying "opposites attract" is just that... a saying. It means nothing.
If two people are different, then people say "opposites attract"...
If two people are the same, then they just say "birds of a feather"...

It's a win-win situation.
^^ Truth.

My girl and I agree on base issues, but as people, we're totally different. She likes that whole pop punk thing, as well as our mutual metal, and I love country and metal.

For instance. Heh.
My name is Marc! Silly username.