hey, well first off, my band and I are looking to start recording and we cant figure out what to do about drums. the part that we're stuck on is the overhead mics. so what Id like to know is, is it best to go with just one overhead condenser mic or 2, and what ones are decent? (we're on a pretty "tight" budget)
i wouldnt use condencer mics if youre on a tight budget, use 2 Sure SM57 dynamic mics with one on the bass drum. That usually gives you a really good recording. I hung the two overheads by their cables. but you can also use two mic stands. IF AND ONLY IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR SM 57'S: set up a single mic across the room from the kit, facing the drum set, and keep everybody else silent as the drummer plays, this is called ambiant micing, and it does not have the quality that close micing a set does, but you will get a decient recording.
I got 2 Behringer C-2 condenser mics for $60 and they are the most amazing mics ever
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
i wouldnt use condencer mics if youre on a tight budget

well I use the term "tight" rather loosely. by tight I mean like bout $150-$200 to drop on one or 2 depending on if its better to have 1 or 2 overheads.
you should always have two over head mics, to give it the stereo sound. the drums will just sound mono if you have just one over head. if you need help placing your over heads, give me a PM.
as for what mics to use, use the Behringer C-2000s like Sabbath said. There the best ones, pretty much all studios use them, I'm not sure how much they are, but there prob not that expensive, within your price range anyway.