Page 1 of 3
Ok, my good friend, thinks that drugs such as Acid and Pot make him better at guitar, but he only thinks this because when he is on drugs, he thinks his playing is better when in fact it is horribly worse. I can't convince him that he sucks dick when hes on guitar and he seriously thinks that drugs are helping him.

Quotes from him:

"ya but also, i kind of smoke pot, to get to sleep bc i have always hard sleeping problems, so i useally smoke before i goto bed....i was on ambien for awhile but i learnd sleeping pills are addictive"

"dude yesterday i wish i had a better guitar bc i tried acid....and i a mother ****ing freak at guitar when i am on, **** dude i was ****ing shredding the guitar and all over the fret board without ****ing up faster and i could ever before and way better and more creatively...........and some of the riffs i was makeing where soo sick"

This guy dropped out of high school after his sophomore year, so he obviously has some...problems...

What is something I can do or say to explain to him how ****ed up he is after taking all these drugs? I told him about the amen clinic and about how when people get brain scans after years of taking drugs their brains are noticeably more messed up than before, but he doesn't believe me, because he is not smart enough to understand shit. Any ideas on how to help him out?
i understand that you are his friend, but not his mother.
let him run his own life
Quote by KissingShadows
Ok, my good friend, thinks that drugs such as Acid and Pot make him better at guitar, but he only thinks this because when he is on drugs, he thinks his playing is better when in fact it is horribly worse. I can't convince him that he sucks dick when hes on guitar and he seriously thinks that drugs are helping him.

Quotes from him:

"ya but also, i kind of smoke pot, to get to sleep bc i have always hard sleeping problems, so i useally smoke before i goto bed....i was on ambien for awhile but i learnd sleeping pills are addictive"

"dude yesterday i wish i had a better guitar bc i tried acid....and i a mother ****ing freak at guitar when i am on, **** dude i was ****ing shredding the guitar and all over the fret board without ****ing up faster and i could ever before and way better and more creatively...........and some of the riffs i was makeing where soo sick"

This guy dropped out of high school after his sophomore year, so he obviously has some...problems...

What is something I can do or say to explain to him how ****ed up he is after taking all these drugs? I told him about the amen clinic and about how when people get brain scans after years of taking drugs their brains are noticeably more messed up than before, but he doesn't believe me, because he is not smart enough to understand shit. Any ideas on how to help him out?

Most of these drugs boost creativity and make things sound better. The creative inspiration is very useful in music, as you can tell from famous musicians. Drugs like marijuana and LSD do not cause any permanent long term damage. Your friend though, is stupid for dropping out of high school his sophmore year. There really is nothing you can do to help him, he obviously has made his own choices.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
fact - lsd and pot help ideas flow easier from the mind.
which may make him an overall better/more creative guitarist!
Quote by sars
let him ruin his own life

Fixed

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by sars
let him run his own life

To quote from the Year 7 Highschool Handbook:
"Real friends don't let friends take drugs."

Later I found out that real friends will steal their friends drugs to prevent them taking them.
Quote by sars
fact - lsd and pot help ideas flow easier from the mind.
which may make him an overall better/more creative guitarist!

He is not creative, he thinks creative means that he plays emo-ish triads while playing horribly sloppy soloing over it. He tells me that he shreds while hes on acid when in fact he hasn't "shredded" since he was in my band three years ago and hadn't started doing drugs. He ****ing sucks now, and he used to be amazing, but I can't seem to convince him of that. I'll just tape it.
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
Fixed

if smoking pot ruins your life then i assume this person is a very weak person, overall.
Im not on drugs, but drugs are bad mmmmkay

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
it does.... i think drugs have an effect also on your fingers....
Quote by DrkNTwstd
darkangel, you are a smart man. no flame shield is necessary.

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
hmm... ya know, if he dropped out his sophmore year... can you be completely sure that its the drugs that make him this stupid? ... but either way videotape him playing an he'll see how bad he blows
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
Quote by shav0r
To quote from the Year 7 Highschool Handbook:
"Real friends don't let friends take drugs."

Later I found out that real friends will steal their friends drugs to prevent them taking them.

and then take them themselves?
sure, thats a true friend
It's also possible that, while he's high, his critical assessment capabilities dwindle, which results in the illusion that he is playing better.
I say videotape/record it.

Oh, a marijuana and LSD do have long-term repercussions, such as brain atrophy and difficulty thinking logically.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Quote by sars
and then take them themselves?
sure, thats a true friend

I would do that for any of my friends.
i stopped drugs cause i couldnt play guitar when i was on them and that was just pot
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
I haven't had LSD, but I have smoked quite a bit of weed and played guitar and it's kind of on and off with the good playing. Sometimes it makes me better and sometimes it doesn't.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
your friend is right. drugs make everything better.

just tell him that heroin makes you a guitar god.
Quote by hoobariffer87
It's also possible that, while he's high, his critical assessment capabilities dwindle, which results in the illusion that he is playing better.

Oh, a marijuana and LSD do have long-term repercussions, such as brain atrophy and difficulty thinking logically.

Marijuana and LSD do not cause brain atrophy. While your ability to think logically is crippled while on the drug, it goes away once the drug has left your system. But yes, chances are he thinks it sounds good because almost everything sounds good while you are on drugs, and the reason he sucks is because of his slowed thought process and loss of coordination making it harder to play.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
Drugs like marijuana and LSD do not cause any permanent long term damage.

You sir, are an idiot, of course they cause long term damage! LSD can cause psychological problems, and really affects a person's mental state if they have a bad trip. Marijuana is mere harmful that tobacco when smoked regualrly and can cause dementure, schizophrenia, and awaken any dormant mental illness.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
You sir, are an idiot, of course they cause long term damage! LSD can cause psychological problems, and really affects a person's mental state if they have a bad trip. Marijuana is mere harmful that tobacco when smoked regualrly and can cause dementure, schizophrenia, and awaken any dormant mental illness.

No sir, you are the idiot. LSD is safe if used by someone who is informed and emotionally stable. Schizophrenia is only exposed by LSD, not created by it. A person who is going to use drugs should know their own body and mind.

As for marijuana being more harmful than cigarettes, here is the accepted amount:
1 Joint = 3 cigarettes (only as far as tar goes, cigarettes actually give off radiation when you smoke them)

1 Pack of cigarettes = 20 cigarettes = 6 2/3 joints.

Even heavy smokers do not generally smoke 6 cigarette sized joints in one day, that is a lot of marijuana. Most smokers smoke around a pack a day. Cigarettes are more dangerous than marijuana. Want more proof? THC has no ld50, meaning that it is damn near impossible to overdose on it, and a case of overdose has never been reported. Nicotine is a poison, a drop of pure nicotine will kill.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
Quote by goods2006
No sir, you are the idiot. LSD is safe if used by someone who is informed and emotionally stable. Schizophrenia is only exposed by LSD, not created by it. A person who is going to use drugs should know their own body and mind.

As for marijuana being more harmful than cigarettes, here is the accepted amount:
1 Joint = 3 cigarettes (only as far as tar goes, cigarettes actually give off radiation when you smoke them)

Even heavy smokers do not generally smoke 6 cigarette sized joints in one day, that is a lot of marijuana. Most smokers smoke around a pack a day. Cigarettes are more dangerous than marijuana. Want more proof? THC has no ld50, meaning that it is damn near impossible to overdose on it, and a case of overdose has never been reported. Nicotine is a poison, a drop of pure nicotine will kill.

Man your village just called. They would like there idiot back.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Man your village just called. They would like there idiot back.

Ha Ha.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
Quote by XXGitarpunkXX
Drugz do not damage da syztm 4 yeer ore more

LIEK, IM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU! I DON'T DO DRUGS AND YOU IS AN IDIOT LAWLS! I HOPE YOU DIE BECAUSE OF ALL THAT HEROINES YOU IS DOING LAWLS!
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
1 Joint = 3 cigarettes

1 joint = 10 cigarettes talking about tar

1.)I never said LSD caused schizophrenia
2.)You don't see smokers going about drinking nicotine
3.)People on drugs tend not to know their body and mind, otherwise they'd be clever enough to not do drugs
4.)Marijuana tends to be smoked with tobacco anyway
5.)So what is cigarettes give off radiation, so does the earth (90% of radiation exposure for an average person)
6.)It may not be possibly to OD on marijuana but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous
7.)LSD (as I'm sure you know) causes hallucinations which can lead you to misunderstand your surroundings and so stupdly dangerous things
8.)Marijuana is an immunosupressant meaning it screws with your immune system leaving you more susceptible to infections
9.)Overuse of LSD causes hallucinations even after you have come off the drug (known as Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder)

want any more reasons for them being harmful?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by hoobariffer87

REALLY?

Where did you get that information? DARE? Why don't you check your facts before you come up in here posting some reefer madness bullshit, mmkay? Weed has zero long-term repercussions on the brain. Acid, eh. I've never done it, probably never will, but I doubt it messes you up permanently.

The research that concluded that weed causes brain damage was done by baking 4 monkeys (if you know anything about science, that's a pathetically small sample size) with over 200 times the normal human recreational dose. Even at levels of 100 times the recreational dose, you don't see any brain damage or long-term brain problems.

Two studies from 1977, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed no evidence of brain damage in heavy users of marijuana. That same year, the American Medical Association (AMA) officially came out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. That's not the sort of thing you'd expect if the AMA thought marijuana damaged the brain.

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/17/2/321

Quote by mcw00t

This study was done with the leaf of the cannabis plant, not the bud.

1) Most marijuana smokers smoke the bud, not the leaf, of
the plant. The bud contains only 33% as much tar as tobacco.
2) Marijuana smokers do not smoke anywhere near as much as
tobacco smokers, due to the psychoactive effects of cannabis.
3) Not one case of lung cancer has ever been successfully
linked to marijuana use.
4) Cannabis, unlike tobacco, does not cause any narrowing of
the small air passageways in the lungs.
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 24, 2007,
1.) They are american
2.) get some decent researchers - yours were probably stoned

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Oh, yes, they're American... that discounts the research. Don't pay mind to the fact that the sample size is way larger, the effects monitored in an unbiased way, and omg, they actually used a control. This is a scientifically sound experiment. The fact that you think weed still has long-term effects on the brain mean that I'm not going to argue with you any more. Come back when you're older than, what, like 15, 16?

Again, you should accept that people make these choices with their bodies, and there is a lot of info out there that would contradict what you've been told from elementary school on. The government did a lot of really biased studies in the 1930s, and again in the 1970s, that basically drew scathing remarks from the scientific community in general. Most of the information you're quoting is falsified and comes from those experiments. Look up reefer madness on google.
Quote by mcw00t

1.)I never said LSD caused schizophrenia
2.)You don't see smokers going about drinking nicotine
3.)People on drugs tend not to know their body and mind, otherwise they'd be clever enough to not do drugs
4.)Marijuana tends to be smoked with tobacco anyway
5.)So what is cigarettes give off radiation, so does the earth (90% of radiation exposure for an average person)
6.)It may not be possibly to OD on marijuana but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous
7.)LSD (as I'm sure you know) causes hallucinations which can lead you to misunderstand your surroundings and so stupdly dangerous things
8.)Marijuana is an immunosupressant meaning it screws with your immune system leaving you more susceptible to infections
9.)Overuse of LSD causes hallucinations even after you have come off the drug (known as Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder)

want any more reasons for them being harmful?

1) - that has nothing to do with the harmfulness of drugs.
2) - So what? Cigarettes contain nicotine, an incredibly harmful and addictive drug.
3) - Is that the drugs fault, or the peoples? I know my own body and mind and can do drugs responsibly without any reprocussions. There was a time when I was under a lot of anxiety, and I quit doing drugs because I knew that anxiety and drugs were not a good mix. Either way, not a harmful effect of the drug.
4) - Again, what does this have to do with the harmfulness of the drug? And that is not completely true anyways, and even if it was true that the only thing you can do with marijuana is smoke it with tobacco (let's forget vaporizers, bowls, joints, brownies, bongs, etc. Blunts are the only way to smoke marijuana) it is not as harmful as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.
5) - Again, not a harmful effect of the drug. Cigarettes put radium, lead 210, and polonium 210 into your system. Radium emits alpha (not a huge deal) and gamma (incredibly unhealthy) radiation. Gamma radiation is not very common in background radiation.
6) - Well, how is it dangerous then?
7) - LSD can cause people to misinterpret their surroundings, which is why you should always have a trip sitter while doing a powerful drug. Someone who you trust who can calm you down if need be, if you take all the precautions then you will be completely fine on LSD.
8) - A lot of things are immunosupressents, that's just a stupid and illogical arguement. Don't smoke marijuana because you might get a cold! There are a lot of easier ways to get sick than smoking marijuana, like going to the hospital. But of course, hospitals are dangerous too because there are people with communicable diseases that can spread to you there, so being the responsible person you are I know you will never visit a hospital in fear of getting sick.
9) - HPPD is a disorder that occures in some people. There really is no treatment for it, but it's a risk that you take when you use a drug, just like there are risks when you sit down in a car to drive. The amount of people who actually develop HPPD is miniscule, and it really doesn't bother most of the people who have it, and besides that, it is commonly reported to go away after taking some time off of the drug.

Go ahead, list more.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
Quote by hoobariffer87

Thats EXACTLY what I told him, but I guess he is just too stupid to understand now. I'll resort to video taping it.
Quote by goods2006

The statistic was 3 Joints=20 cigarettes

Also marijuana contains 300 carciogenic substances.

BTW I smoke a lot so I'm not just saying this as a purist, but as a realist
# Marijuana smokers generally don't chain smoke, and so they smoke less. (Marijuana is not physically addictive like tobacco.) The more potent marijuana is, the less a smoker will use at a time.
# Tobacco contains nicotine, and marijuana doesn't. Nicotine may harden the arteries and may be responsible for much of the heart disease caused by tobacco. New research has found that it may also cause a lot of the cancer in tobacco smokers and people who live or work where tobacco is smoked. This is because it breaks down into a cancer causing chemical called `N Nitrosamine' when it is burned (and maybe even while it is inside the body as well.)
# Marijuana contains THC. THC is a bronchial dilator, which means it works like a cough drop and opens up your lungs, which aids clearance of smoke and dirt. Nicotine does just the opposite; it makes your lungs bunch up and makes it harder to cough anything up.
# There are benefits from marijuana (besides bronchial dilation) that you don't get from tobacco. Mainly, marijuana makes you relax, which improves your health and well-being.
# Scientists do not really know what it is that causes malignant lung cancer in tobacco. Many think it may be a substance known as Lead 210. Of course, there are many other theories as to what does cause cancer, but if this is true, it is easy to see why NO CASE OF LUNG CANCER RESULTING FROM MARIJUANA USE ALONE HAS EVER BEEN DOCUMENTED, because tobacco contains much more of this substance than marijuana.
# Marijuana laws make it harder to use marijuana without damaging your body. Water-pipes are illegal in many states. Filtered cigarettes, vaporizers, and inhalers have to be mass produced, which is hard to arrange `underground.' People don't eat marijuana often because you need more to get as high that way, and it isn't cheap or easy to get (which is the reason why some people will stoop to smoking leaves.) This may sound funny to you -- but the more legal marijuana gets, the safer it is.

www.erowid.org

now, can we please not have the weed vs tabacco debate. it is not important in this thread.

look, video tape your friend playing while stoned, show it to him, either he will shut the hell up or he will think that his playing is good and that the tape is proof of it.
Let's be honest, he probably sucks when he's under the influence. But unless your friend is a complete idiot with no self-restraint he should be okay when he comes off it.

By the way, if you're hanging out with high school dropouts you might want to look for a new crowd. I mean, high school is pretty damn easy.

The only thing weed helps me with musically is appreciation (various bands blow my mind) and lyrics.
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 24, 2007,
5) - Again, not a harmful effect of the drug. Cigarettes put radium, lead 210, and polonium 210 into your system. Radium emits alpha (not a huge deal) and gamma (incredibly unhealthy) radiation. Gamma radiation is not very common in background radiation.

15% of background radiation is man made. Most of that is from Medical surgery, a very little amount is caused through drugs, its not worth moaning about it.
Page 1 of 3