What are some poetic devices in the this song? (ex. alliteration, personification, metaphor etc.)

Beatles - A Day in the Life Lyrics

I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph.
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read the book.
I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on
Do your own homework

honestly if you don't do the work yourself you get screwed over come exam time because you don't know the material. That's what the homewrk is FOR.
Quote by Nick_
Do your own homework

honestly if you don't do the work yourself you get screwed over come exam time because you don't know the material. That's what the homewrk is FOR.

I never done maths homework and got a 'D' in GCSE
that's my favorite Beatles song (just in case everyone was wondering) there's not really a whole lot of conventional poetic device usage, although I guess the last paragraph can be viewed as a metaphor (for what I don't know). It's amazing imagery none the less
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
It's a really interesting song. It was two songs put together. John wrote most of it, and Paul wrote the "Woke up, got out of bed..." section. The orchestral build-up was not written, they orchestra were just given a point to reach by a certain time and they could get there their own way, which gives the part a very psychedelic taste.

As to the inspiration, John was reading the newspaper. The car crash is about the heir to the Guinness fortune (Tara Browne) and the potholes line is literally about the number of potholes in the roads in Lancashire. Paul's part is about when he used to go to school.