WITHOUT getting new pickups (as I can't afford them just yet). My amps tone is pretty clear as I've tested it with a better guitar. Is there anything I can do to my existing pickups to improve tone somewhat? They sound extremely muddy. Any help appreciated since I really don't know how to explain it better
i actually have no idea if this applies to basses, but pickups being too close to strings on guitars causes a muddy tone? maybe you need to lower them?

don't take my word for it though, wait for someone who knows more about basses, this is just a suggestion.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Tone knob. Mess with it. If not... your only real alternative is to get new pickups despite you saying not to say it.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I had this problem with my first bass (Ibanez GAXB-150). The difference when I got a new bass was amazing, so mcuh clarity, even on my rubbish amp.

I say you should get new pickups, it'll be worth it. Bartolini's preferably.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
What's your setup?

It will help me to help you.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^ Yeah, we need to know, amps, cabs, and bass.

Otherwise, try picking near the bridge.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Amp settings, dude. Kill the low-mid of you can. Raise the treble. Ease off on the bass. Play close to the bridge.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..