Hey I was wondering if the Lo Pro trem was a good buy. I have a jem 555 and i want to replace the edge pro II, and since I have the routing done already, I was wondering what was better. The Lo Pro, Edge, or Edge pro?

http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/index.htm According to that, the Edge pro fixed some of the problems that the Lo Pro and Edge had, but I;ve heard nothing but good things about the Lo Pro and Edge. So do any of you guys know some more info about this? Is the Lo Pro actually better? Also has anyone played one or knows about how well it plays, stays in key, durability, etc.

Also how much would the installation fee cost do you think? I would pretty much have them remove the edge pro II and put in the Lo Pro if i get it, so how much?

Thanks in advance.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Last edited by Erich yeung at Mar 25, 2007,
I have a Lo-Pro on my RG550, and it is a great trem. Stays in tune for ever, and is nice and responsive. It also has the locking studs which are often retro-fitted to other trems. It is pretty much an original Edge, but they just altered the design on the top so that the fine tuners weren't stuck up so high and the string locks weren't going underneath them. This meant a lower profile trem (hence the name) which is better for palm muting as it is more comfortable and the fine tuners don't get in the way.

It's a very good trem, and I love mine. You'll definately notice the difference over the Edge Pro II IMO
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
The Lo-Pro is one the best trems that Ibanez have
Ibanez Jem7DBK
Washburn USA Custom Shop
Edwards E-LP-98 LTS
Epi LP + SH-2 + SH-4
Art & Lutherie Cedar
Cube30
Boss OD-3
My Youtube Vids

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Between EdgePro, Edge, and LoPro, none of them are better then the other. They're all good and each have different feel and ergonomic comfort. If your palm prefers lower profile, then EdgePro/LoPro is your best bet but if you dont mind the fine tuners sticking out a lil', Edge is just fine.

And by saying "and since i have the routing done already", what exactly do you mean? Routing for what? The Edge and LoPro route is almost the same and interchangeable but with EdgeProII routing, you cant really get in the Edge/LoPro as easy as you think.

EdgeProII's design is quite different, just like the Ibanez ILT1 bridge, the EdgeProII uses hinge anchors instead of just 2 embedded posts. The posts are shorter but the middle joint is screwed into the body. Throughout my experience, the EdgePro "should" drop in just nice without any modification necessary using the same hinge anchors of the EdgeProII.

If you wish to change your posts to a locking ones like the Edge/LoPro, you gotta pry off the existing anchors and drill some bigger holes, also chip some of the Edges off the top route to accomodate the larger Edge/Lo Pro.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
* REALLY! NO! DOH! **** #$%^&*( Goddamn it, so I can't fit in a lo pro easily? How much do you think it would cost to get it put in then? I have a Jem 555 and the end of the bridge has a dug in part, and I figured that, that was for the edge or lo pro. http://www.musikmuehle-engen.de/images/ibanez-jem-555-bk-wh.jpg There's a pic of it. Goddamn it if I cant fit in a Lo Pro I'll be heart broken. IS the edge pro as responsive as the Lo Pro? Also does it stay in tune well and does it have the locking trem arm (the ones that have the plastic bushings) like the lo pro and edge? (basically is there a difference in the way the trem arm is setup between the three?)
My Youtube Vids

the "dug in part" is actually called the lion's claw. Its signature Vai sorta thing. The good thing is, the trem arm for all 3 Edges are the same, they have exactly the same arm, exactly the same bushings. Edge Pro is just as good, stays in tune great, very low profile.

If you're so unsure you can PM Stratwizard, he has the 2003> JEM which has the Edge Pro.

As far as costs goes, it really depends on your local luthier to chip in some of the route and relocate the 2 posts.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Alright thanks guys, and to madpickin, when you say "all 3 edges" do you mean all three edge pros or are three different kind of edges. Because If you did mean edge pro, then the edge pro IIs and IIIs don't have the trem arm with the bushings, only the edge pro, or edge /lo pro. (thats one of the reasons that the edge pro II and III trems are shit compared to the edge, lo pro, and edge pro, because they aren't nearly as responsive, since the trem arm isnt locked in, and it moves around when you use it.)
My Youtube Vids