lately ive been experimenting with modal interchange, and from what ive played it tends to have a sort of jazz feel to it, is this used in jazz a bit?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Last edited by EZLN libertad at Mar 24, 2007,
Well, I'm not sure, but if it sounds jazzy, than it probably is.
What scales do you use?
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
ive just been messing around with G major, and doing modal interchange stuff with it
Quote by beadhangingOne
And if it isn't used in jazz, why not do it anyway? If you like it, go with it.
Music isn't about conforming to a certain stlye, it's about expressing yourself!
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Last edited by JL_Shredder at Mar 24, 2007,
Quote by EZLN libertad
ive just been messing around with G major, and doing modal interchange stuff with it

Lydian 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7

Try these. They sound pretty good for jazz and can work well with other styles too.
er....i know modes man, im not talking about a scale, im talking about something else
Quote by beadhangingOne
Certainly in "modal" jazz

In other jazz, you could probably interpret some things as changing the modes, but I don't know if that's always how the player is thinking about it.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
A lot of jazz is substitutions of arpeggios for most jazz players, and less modes then most think. Modes only came along in jazz in the mid to late 50's as a way of experimentation. I personally mainly use arpeggios for things, and if i do go scalar it's with stuff like the diminished scales, the whole tone, the melodic minor, and that's about it.

LONG LIVE CHARLIE PARKER!!
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
If it sounds jazzy it probaly is and its probaly because you doing something minor due to the fact EVERYTHING just about is minor these days. Specifically A Minor lol
Quote by Ryan0811
If it sounds jazzy it probaly is and its probaly because you doing something minor due to the fact EVERYTHING just about is minor these days. Specifically A Minor lol

Hm. Someone needs to get out more.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
well, natural minor is barely used in jazz...apparently, most jazz guitarists don't find it very "jazzy"...they tend to substitute the dorian scale over minor chords and some half diminished - many jazz standards contain ii°-V-i chord progressions and may tend to move through the circle of fourths

in short, the jazz sound is most associated with dorian
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
just to clarify, as i'm kinda new at jazz. Is this modal interchange thing like playing the phrygian mode over the ii chord where one would be expecting dorian?

EDIT: or the aeolian mode, or any other mode with with a b3 that doesn't clash with any of the notes of the chord for that matter
hmmmm...
Last edited by fenderfrk10 at Mar 25, 2007,
Quote by Ryan0811

No...

Natural Minor isn't used as much in jazz. I guess theres no "one" scale that is a jazz scale. Sure you might think that it could be the Jazz Minor scale, but, jazz musicians go everywhere.

...or at least thats what I was told.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Mar 25, 2007,
Quote by fenderfrk10
just to clarify, as i'm kinda new at jazz. Is this modal interchange thing like playing the phrygian mode over the ii chord where one would be expecting dorian?

EDIT: or the aeolian mode, or any other mode with with a b3 that doesn't clash with any of the notes of the chord for that matter

it really depends on what "flavor" you're attempting to convey in a solo/song

if you used phrygian over a ii chord, the b2 would really be stressed, thus creating a different sound - of course, phrygian is a minor-based mode, so it wouldn't clash with a minor chord - it can also be used over a dominant b9 chord, but with a raised seventh - there are endless possibilities, but trying everything really gives you more tools to work with...many things look good on paper (or screen), but overall you just have to hear them
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
^^but was i on track with the modal interchange idea? Like playing modes that aren't normally associated with the certain scale degree that you're playing over??
hmmmm...
I would say that is only really associated with modal jazz songs, like when a chord lasts 16 bars and such. If you search under my posts you'll see a thread called "Jazz Scales" and you can look at my long post that I, for some reason, couldn't post in here.

Cheers

PS If you want to ask anymore you can just talk to me on MSN EthanWoodward@hotmail.com or Sportsdude200 for AIM
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by fenderfrk10
^^but was i on track with the modal interchange idea? Like playing modes that aren't normally associated with the certain scale degree that you're playing over??

yeah kinda

its like
take C major
and C minor

and go back and forth between them, like play:
Ima7
IImi7
bIIIma7

the bIIIma7 is the third of a minor scale, not major, you switch back and forth
Quote by beadhangingOne