Page 1 of 2
when i was a bit younger i thought that jonny rotten was a original musician and was punk to the core. but now i think hes a cocky old man trying to make as much money as he can. what do you think
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
i think the same as you i used to think he was cool but now...meh, Mike Watt is a better punk then Rotten ever was

Johnny Rotten likes to claim that he's the only real punk and he did it first and he was the best and...he's just an egotistic asshole who wants to take credit for everything that ever happened in punk.
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
Johnny Rotten is the devil of punk. You bitch about commercialized punk and then a lot of people hail the sex pistols and johnny rotten, well i'm sorry, there's a name for those people and it's called "hypocrites".

For more on hypocrites, read up on Anti-Flag.
Quote by TheAdict310
For more on hypocrites, read up on Anti-Flag.

anyway, i don't think johnny rotten is a sell out, he's just really annoying.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
I like that he pisses on everyone he talks to hes a complete dick and i find much humor in his personality. Though if I ever was to meet him I prolly think other wise.
Uhhh.. Maybe you're unaware of the fact that the Sex Pistols were formed in order to sell a style of clothing from a boutique in England? They've always been sell outs, hence the reason they Sid Vicious in the band, who wasn't able to play the bass, it was Steve who played all his parts on the records, they only let him in the band because he looked punk.. Now uhh.. get over it.
Sid was mates with john before that. The three johns they were called, sids name being john and some other fellow. So that really it wasnt the like they found him on a street corner vomiting on women and shooting junk and said "holy crap thats him, our new bass player"
I think Johnny rotten probably is a sell out. but I don't give a flying f**k. The whole ' Sell out' thing is annoying. I allways find that people always cry sell out to the bands they dislike and then conveniently forget the bands they don't. Lydons an ignorant Bastard yes. but that's what makes him funny if you ask me.
In punk terms he's a sell out, but compared to a lot of other bands that are as famous as them...still relatively not. Haven't heard Belsen Was A Gas in too many cell phone commercials (Clash, Ramones, even Circle Jerks)
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
Mayeb, maybe, but at least they're not a bunch of posing ****s and can actually play their instruments.

Actually, they are a bunch of posing ****s, and Steve Jones was a pretty talented musician, but this doesn't belong in this thread.
Quote by caesar_salad
In punk terms he's a sell out, but compared to a lot of other bands that are as famous as them...still relatively not. Haven't heard Belsen Was A Gas in too many cell phone commercials (Clash, Ramones, even Circle Jerks)

Buzzcocks now too.
Quote by ratmjb1212
the circle jerks were in a cell phone commercial?

I dunno about that, but I know "Wild In the Streets" was used in a Vans commercial along with a video of them playing it.
oh, haha. vans makes circle jerks shoes, too. i want a pair.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Bitching about the sex pistols and various members thereof is so two years ago.
I like how he told the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame to off

But I sense in him a certain ambivalence, as if part of him wants (or needs) to capitalize on his former glory to make some Benjamins, but another part sees this as a betrayal to the movement he helped spawn...so he deals with this conflicting sense of self by acting like a dick sometimes...

In any case, none of this is relevant, as the glue man said, to the actual music. So the TS can just off with his cliche'd accusations.
I think his assholeness is just a gimmick. With a name like "Johnny Rotten," it'd be weird to be real nice all the time.
Buzzcocks commercial was for like...something for retirement or insurance or something of that nature. They played "Everybody's Happy Nowadays." Many Ramones and Clash commercials. Hadn't seen the Circle Jerks one, but I knew they had their own branded Vans now...a lot of older punk has now become commercialized. You can't walk through a high school in the country and not spot at least a half dozen Misfits and Ramones shirts. And most of the kids who are wearing the shirts don't even really know a thing about the bands' music. I think the Misfits have sold out the most...I went into a gas station a few days ago and saw at least 5 Misfits branded items (wallet, wall banner, lighter I think). This was a really small gas station, too. The Misfits logo is on everything now. I think the thing to realize, though, is that it's not the band (or at least not all of the original members) who allow this kind of "selling out" to go on. It's the people who own the rights to the music. Or in the case of the Misfits and the DKs, the douche bags who stuck around to try and revive the band and make more money off of it.

Comparatively, Rotten and the Pistols aren't sellouts. They sold a helluva lot more records than their contemporaries (excluding the Clash), but they haven't continually tried to revive the band's image and push sales. Rotten's an asshole, but he's not exactly a sellout.
Last edited by Zardokk at Mar 25, 2007,
If I was in a famous band, I would sell out too. because money is good
money = fantastic
anyone who avoids making money just so that they can look cool to "true punks" is retarded
Quote by treefiddey
money = fantastic
anyone who avoids making money just so that they can look cool to "true punks" is retarded

Money is only fantastic if you place too much value on things like luxury cars, big houses or $200 tennis shoes. You don't need lots of money to be happy or to live a good life. The only reason I'd "sell out" for money would be if I had a family that I had to support.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by treefiddey
money = fantastic

Anyone who sells out their ideals just so they can have money is retarded also.
I think there can be a happy medium. If you can make the music you want to make, exactly how you want it and still make a good amount of money, then you haven't sold out. If you change your style to make money, then you've sold out. Most of the time, bands that don't sell out never make it past being members of the middle class (if they make that much). If you can do what you want and make enough money to live off of...then...why would you need any more? If you have your ideal profession and you always have the bills paid and have enough money to do most of the things you want to, then isn't life pretty damn good?
i dont care about johnny rotten being a sell out i just hate how he goes around sayinghow everything is punk or not punk, he really needs to shut his ****ing face. I didnt really like the sex pistols, there music was long and repetitive and had no creativity
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
... there music was long and repetitive and had no creativity

Would you have said that as a teenager in 1976 London? I don't think so
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
johnny rotten is just a short-tempered, opinionated British dude. He doesnt purposely act like he's god's gift to the world, thats just the way he is.

You damn douchebags
oh and another thing, im sick of you assclowns that constantly talk about who sold out and who didnt. If you like a ****ing band, it shouldnt matter what god damn record label they are on. I'll bet if one of your friends was in a band and they signed to a "big name" label, you wouldnt call them a sellout and stop being their friend, and you sure as hell wouldnt want people calling YOU a sellout if you wanted to get your music out there.

so why dont you guys just stop with the sellout bullshit

the sex pistols are punk legends, so if you are a "true" punk, you should already know that and you should already know that if it wasnt for them there wouldnt be some of the bands that you currently listen to now.

so if you think they sold out, thats fine. Just keep it to yourself
This thread bores me. Stop being all angry and stuff, sillies.
Quote by Discharge12345
oh and another thing, im sick of you assclowns that constantly talk about who sold out and who didnt. If you like a ****ing band, it shouldnt matter what god damn record label they are on. I'll bet if one of your friends was in a band and they signed to a "big name" label, you wouldnt call them a sellout and stop being their friend, and you sure as hell wouldnt want people calling YOU a sellout if you wanted to get your music out there.

so why dont you guys just stop with the sellout bullshit

the sex pistols are punk legends, so if you are a "true" punk, you should already know that and you should already know that if it wasnt for them there wouldnt be some of the bands that you currently listen to now.

so if you think they sold out, thats fine. Just keep it to yourself

I want to be mad at you but I agree with some of what you said, so now I don't know what to do
Quote by Sargasm
This thread bores me. Stop being all angry and stuff, sillies.

Time to bring in the hug emoticon?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Rotten sold out but realized it. thats why he left the pistols. cuz he knew he was getting f ucked over. so he just gave up and did the gay dance and public image ltd or whatever. cuz rotten understood, that punk was a total joke and was getting exploited to the max. but now that rotten's image as Johnny Rotten and not John Lydon, is more famous, he's going back to the whole punk thing. cuz it makes him more money. so in the long run, rotten is a sellout. but i don't care, cuz I (and rotten) know that money is what makes the world go round. period.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by ratmjb1212
oh, haha. vans makes circle jerks shoes, too. i want a pair.

Vans uses cheap labor from mexican sweatshops. Not cool.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by yeahyeah

Time to bring in the hug emoticon?

Always.
Page 1 of 2