I feel stupid for asking this but what is action of the guitar?

TOMS RIG
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Black
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Sunburst
Ibanez TS-9
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Line 6 Echo Park
MXR ZW-44
MXR Phase 90
Boss PS-5
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 cab
action refers to the height of the strings from the fretboard, generally low action is better because the strings are easier to press down, but if action is too low, then you get fret buzz
Quote by mangaka82
action refers to the height of the strings from the fretboard, generally low action is better because the strings are easier to press down, but if action is too low, then you get fret buzz

In contrast, high action produces a louder volume from the guitar (unamplified, anyway) and is preferred for slide playing.
Thanks Very Much Guys!

TOMS RIG
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Black
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Sunburst
Ibanez TS-9
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Line 6 Echo Park
MXR ZW-44
MXR Phase 90
Boss PS-5
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 cab
Quote by jesus-squared
how would you change the action of the guitar tho?

really depends on the guitar. most fixed bridge guitars, in the bridge you can lower the action of each string individually by turning tiny screws... and in a floyd rose there are two large screws on either side of the bridge you can turn to lower or increase the action.

also you can put a shim between the neck and the body... but now we're complicating things... just do a google search for a tutorial, i think i've seen some on the net somewhere before.

-Cobra
Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook... instant download at StartRocking.com
I have an Ibanez GSA60, and im interested in adjusting the action on it, but have no idea!
Quote by Cooper1983
I have an Ibanez GSA60, and im interested in adjusting the action on it, but have no idea!

Take it to your local guitar shop, they will take care of it for onlly a few bucks.
Quote by Immortal_Hero
Take it to your local guitar shop, they will take care of it for onlly a few bucks.

Id like to sort of learn how to do it myself, rather than have a guitar shop do it for me.