So, I have 2 questions for you guys:

1. When I start to get some really rock hard calluses, after a good couple motivated hours a day, they always seem to get rough. Some of the top layers of skin tend to peel off after extended playing, or just everyday use. they pretty much turn to sandpaper, and cuts my tone to ***t. Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

2. After having my hands wet for a decent amount of time, like after taking a shower and such, my calluses turn extremely soft and swell up quite a bit. They're easy to get torn off, and make playing pretty much impossible for the next hour. How do I dry them quicker, or how can I prevent it in the first place?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Quote by sgctactics

1. When I start to get some really rock hard calluses, after a good couple motivated hours a day, they always seem to get rough. Some of the top layers of skin tend to peel off after extended playing, or just everyday use. they pretty much turn to sandpaper, and cuts my tone to ***t. Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

2. After having my hands wet for a decent amount of time, like after taking a shower and such, my calluses turn extremely soft and swell up quite a bit. They're easy to get torn off, and make playing pretty much impossible for the next hour. How do I dry them quicker, or how can I prevent it in the first place?

I assume you just now started playing bass. When I first started, my picking fingers formed calluses that would peel and get harder. Just keep playing, eventually your fingers will be hard but not too hard. IDK it just works itself out.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
if its pain your talking about when its "impossible to play" just keep playing that will make them better, try not to pay attention to it

for the tone problem i really don't know what your talking about
Just keep on playing, the calluses will take care of themselves. If they seem to peel down completely, before you play put a microscopic ( and I mean microscopic) amount of handcream on the tips of your fingers. The idea is to stop the peeling but not loose the callus build up.

And remember to wipe down your strings after you play, btw.
I've never had that problem, and I don't notice any difference in tone.

But I guess playing even more would make it better?
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I had the same problem too. What you have to do is tough it out. In a while your fngers will always be hard enough for playing but still be soft.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
I don't know really what to tell you to do, I've been playing bass for two years and my fingers are still soft as a baby's ass. I'd suggest one of those callus building grips so they get so strong that the water doesn't do it's damage.
well, for the record, I've been playing for a bit over 2 years now, and it just started happening. I never had a problem whatsoever with dealing with pain or blisters or anything like that.
So, I guess I have to deal with it. I was thinking that maybe a nail file or something.... would that work?
Quote by sgctactics

I suffer from the same thing and when it comes to a 4 hour band practice, my fingers are in so much pain. And even when i swear using fingers is the best, i will use a pick if it gets to the point where i cant go on.

when they start to hurt i find that resting the fingers from any player for a lil while gives the callouses a chance to grow back even stronger.

Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
after a while and i mean a while there won't even be callouses on your hands, your skin will just toughen up and stay like that
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land