They aren't related in the slightest. Technically a tremolo arm shouldn't even be called that as it deals with pitch rather than volume. Tremolo picking is just picking very very fast.
not related.

tremolo picking is picking rapid, continuous motion
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
the bar is called a "Vibrato Bar", or informally a "Whammy Bar", but it is definitely not a "tremolo" bar

tremolo picking is just very fast picking

Also,

TREMOLO = change in volume

VIBRATO = change in pitch
Quote by crazyjake19
the bar is called a "Vibrato Bar", or informally a "Whammy Bar", but it is definitely not a "tremolo" bar

tremolo picking is just very fast picking

Also,

TREMOLO = change in volume

VIBRATO = change in pitch

Correct except that it is genuinely called a tremolo arm, even though it doesn't deal with tremolo. If you were to ask for a replacement tremolo arm, any guitar store in the world would get you what you wanted with that name. Tremolo arm and whammy bar are the two most commonly-used names for it. Vibrato bar is much less common.
then if its not the correct term why do ppl continue to say tremolo arm instead of "whammy"?
you can thank Leo Fender for that.

early Fender amps had 'Vibrato' and 'Tremolo' effects, granted, the Vibrato effected volume and Tremolo effected pitch

..We still love you Leo
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
^cut Leo some slack he didn't even play guitar.
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
thanx everyone, it was confusing me a bit cuz i couldn't find the relationship between the 2
now i know there really isn't one