i have a question...i know that amps sound better with the volume up, and i'm looking at a 100 W head...if i buy that head and a 50W cabinet, would the sound be quieter when i put the volume at, let say 5, with a 50W cab. than if i get a 100W cab and put it at 5?? it might sound like a stupid questions but idk the answer lol
you cant even turn a 100W head up all the way without dying

and connecting it to a 50W cab will damage the cab because it cant handle the power of the head

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You can't put a 100 watt head on a 50 watt cab. You'll blow the cab up.

You should always have about 20-30 watts worth of difference between your head and your cab. The reason being, your head is only rated clean. Once it starts overdriving it can go alot higher then the stated watts.

Just get a 50 watt head if your that worried about it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by hendriko
you cant even turn a 100W head up all the way without dying

and connecting it to a 50W cab will damage the cab because it cant handle the power of the head

how can i get that sound that i get when i turn up the volume without buying a lower watt cab
the wattage of the cab is only important when matching it to a head
the head is what gives the power

what kind of head are you looking at?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

you could buy an attentuator, but I'm anti-attentuator so don't look to me for recommedations, I hear Ted Weber makes some good ones though
Quote by gsoldi123
how can i get that sound that i get when i turn up the volume without buying a lower watt cab

I believe what you need for that is called an attentuator
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
Quote by hendriko
the wattage of the cab is only important when matching it to a head
the head is what gives the power

what kind of head are you looking at?

i'm looking at a Soldano Decatone
10T-100
which is a tube amp right?

you wont be able to turn that thing up without getting major hearing damage
an attenuator will help you "cranking" it at lower volumes

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

yea, it's a tube...has anyone tried a Soldano hot rode, which is 50W?? and what attenuator would u guys recommend
Dude, don't get a 100 all-tube... You may get blown away if you crank it... Just get the 50. BTW, yes a 100w head into a 50w cab will damage the 50W cab
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Mate, what you want is the other way around, I think.

A 50W head on a 100W cabinet. A half stack, or just a combo amp would be fine.

I'm not even sure if you can buy 50W cabinets, I've never seen one.
Solando makes amazing amps btw. But, to your prob, 100 watts of tubage is overkill! The only reason I have my YCV80 is because it was used. Just looking on MF and realizing Solando only makes 100 watt heads on their, except for the Astroverb, this could be a prob. If you still want the 100, buy a 100 watt cab with it. If you are willing to spend 3 grand on a head, you should at least spend $600 on cab, really helps the tone. Marshall 1960b would be fantastic, or possibly a matching Solando. Either way, put money into getting the half stack if you must buy one, but 100 watts tube is too much. You may not be able to dial in a sweet sound at lower volumes w/o an attuenator.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by CarbonDeath
Solando makes amazing amps btw. But, to your prob, 100 watts of tubage is overkill! The only reason I have my YCV80 is because it was used. Just looking on MF and realizing Solando only makes 100 watt heads on their, except for the Astroverb, this could be a prob. If you still want the 100, buy a 100 watt cab with it. If you are willing to spend 3 grand on a head, you should at least spend $600 on cab, really helps the tone. Marshall 1960b would be fantastic, or possibly a matching Solando. Either way, put money into getting the half stack if you must buy one, but 100 watts tube is too much. You may not be able to dial in a sweet sound at lower volumes w/o an attuenator.

yea, soldano makes 50W heads too
http://www.soldano.com/

what would u recommend...a soldano hot rod (50W) or a marshall 1987XL, also 50W??
Last edited by gsoldi123 at Mar 24, 2007,
I know, where are you buying it from?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
I know, where are you buying it from?

for the 50W, i'll have to go to Frasier, michigan to even try it, but the 100W i've played it in little store in downtown Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, too bad. Why do you have a 50watt cab in the first place?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Oh, and on the 1987 XL, I think the Solando has a ton more diversity than the XL. But, I really think Marshall is a bit overrated. Look at the sig.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
Yeah, too bad. Why do you have a 50watt cab in the first place?

i don't have one, i'm going to get two 50w cabs
Quote by CarbonDeath
Oh, and on the 1987 XL, I think the Solando has a ton more diversity than the XL. But, I really think Marshall is a bit overrated. Look at the sig.

what about a marshall JCM2000?
Er..., I think they are okay. JCM2000 900 seem to be good, but for the price, much better amps could be bought.(Peavey 6505,5150,JSX, ANY Solano, Krank( ), whatever.) You should just try an amp before you buy it, that is the #1 thing people should do b4 you buy an amp. So many people get sick of an amp as soon as they get it from online, and they realize it is not the tone they want.(This is the reason why Ebay is so popular.)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
Er..., I think they are okay. JCM2000 900 seem to be good, but for the price, much better amps could be bought.(Peavey 6505,5150,JSX, ANY Solano, Krank( ), whatever.) You should just try an amp before you buy it, that is the #1 thing people should do b4 you buy an amp. So many people get sick of an amp as soon as they get it from online, and they realize it is not the tone they want.(This is the reason why Ebay is so popular.)

can u give me other options other than peavey 6505, 5150, JSX(they're over 100W) that u think are better than a JCM2000 for the money and are 60W or bellow?
Oh yeah! First of all, the Solando Astroverb. Tried one of those at that GC and totally demolished most of the other amps for the price. Budha makes an 80watt that sounds like it would work, but have never tried it. I have also played the Kock Multitone II50 watter, it was good but not half as good as the last one. Mesa Boogie F-50 head. It really made me just wanna get up and punch somebody. Completley DESTROYED everthing around it. Stuff was falling off the racks next to the amp. It was $850 bucks used and worth every penny, if I would have had it. Otherwise, any Mark Boogie amp will crush all others. I am not sure if those are under 60watts, but its worth looking into.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
cool, i'm gonna check them out...one last question...can i put a 30W head through a 50 or 100W cab?? and if so, would it be enough to play gigs?
Yeah. No doubt about it. It does have to be a 30 watt tube head prob. And actually, some techs say you should get a cab that overendulges the head with watts. That is why the Mesa Boogie cabs with Black Shadows are used. Those are 460 watts or something crazy like that, but the Mesa head with the most watts max is 200. A lot of pros use the cabs just for the construction and sound purposes, but I would buy them just for the speakers.
Quote by LuthierofTexas