From what I hear, playing acoustic helps with different playing "techniques"; picking, strumming, chord changes, finger strength and all that.

It of course has a different sound than an electric, and, seems to me it would be pretty much a necessity for anyone who plays, or wants to play anything between classic rock and metal.

Any opinions on this topic would be helpful, as I'm trying to decide if I should buy an acoustic, save my money for a better electric, or pick up a second instrument. I'm going to ask my guitar teacher this, too, but not until Wednesday.

Thanks much
Acoustic is essential, it greatly increases finger strenth, chording abilities, and you can go "unplugged" for the ladies Ah Yeah...
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by eltravo
Acoustic is essential, it greatly increases finger strenth, chording abilities, and you can go "unplugged" for the ladies Ah Yeah...

I don't need to play guitar to get ladies... I need to lose weight and continue to be nice

Thanks for your opinion.
acoustic helps strengthen the fingers as well as learn open and barre shape chords. Its also a lot easier to bring an acoustic around with you rather than an electric with an amp and some pedals
Quote by nmelluzzo
Its also a lot easier to bring an acoustic around with you rather than an electric with an amp and some pedals

I'll second that!

Acoustic guitars are very convienent instruments, being self contained. I'm also a campfire player, and the acoustic guitar is especially well suited for this. I wouldn't want people tripping over wires and falling into the fire!

I'm not familiar enough with the electric guitar to say how playing acoustic will build technique, other than the finger strength part. I played some electrics at guitar center and they seem to take considerably less effort to play.
Quote by Habit Zero
I don't need to play guitar to get ladies... I need to lose weight and continue to be nice

Thanks for your opinion.

Not all ladies like "nice guys".
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Last edited by pyrochris at Mar 24, 2007,
Quote by pyrochris
I'll second that!

Acoustic guitars are very convienent instruments, being self contained. I'm also a campfire player, and the acoustic guitar is especially well suited for this. I wouldn't want people tripping over wires and falling into the fire!

I'm not familiar enough with the electric guitar to say how playing acoustic will build technique, other than the finger strength part. I played some electrics at guitar center and they seem to take considerably less effort to play.

Nice girls like nice guys, and nice guys like nice girls, so...
Quote by pyrochris

Just the one that are worth spending time and money on.

Anyways the acoustic guitar is good for perfecting. I suggest that everyone start on an acoustic. when you play electric alot of your imperfections are hidden through the amp. When you play an acoustic everything needs to be perfect or it's bleedingly obvious. the transition from acoustic to electric is easy, electric to acoustic, not so much.
Quote by octavian
Anyways the acoustic guitar is good for perfecting. I suggest that everyone start on an acoustic. when you play electric alot of your imperfections are hidden through the amp. When you play an acoustic everything needs to be perfect or it's bleedingly obvious. the transition from acoustic to electric is easy, electric to acoustic, not so much.

I've noticed that, but I've never really put it all together

I guess... if I want to be a serious guitarist and musician (and I do) then an acoustic is a necessity... more money to spend... yay

I have my eyes on a nice Ibanez... not sure about the size, but I love the looks.
I think there is 2 very seperate sides of playing any stringed instrument.
Either chording & "pick" picking or chording & fingerpicking.
Also playing electric (if picking or fingerpicking) requires you to be a lot more exact.
As the string spacing is closer (so once youve mastered it, you can play a lot faster)
amplifing your instruments also amplifies your mistakes & (chord change noise or finger buzz).
Having said that why is there a need to play super fast.
I love the sound of musicians that sound almost lazy in their style (i.e. Lou Reed)
Short answer to the thread question. Yes you need both to at least fill up your playing area so it looks like you know what your doing. LOL. Nah in reality you play what YOU like on what you like, & dont worry what others are doing unless you like what they are doing.
The one thing that improved my guitar playing more than anything else.
Was to buy a banjo & learn to play that as well. It freed me musically. I didnt feel i needed to measure up to other guitarists. Just learnt how to play it. Now applying the same logic to guitar Im like 200% better guitarist. No shit
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
OK, I guess I should ask this here as well... what's the best A/E with a cutaway, that costs around $350-$400 wholesale

If I can just be given some examples of what the general markup is that would help as well.

Any brands in particular to stay away from?
NYLON or STEEL ?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
have a look on eBay, just to see what is around (in your price bracket),
then google the guitars you found interesting, go to some of the sites &
read what others have said about them. This way you are making an informed descision based on what you think is good. It also serves to give you a base (of information) this will help guide you as your guitar related (brain) information grows. Boiling it down it is how we as humans form opinions.
Having said that there is heaps of stickies in UltimateGuitar on just this topic.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075

Or try using the search function
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Try a Takamine. They are pretty decently priced for the quality they deliver.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
As a guitarist for an acoustic comedy band, death metal band, and another folk metal band, yes...try picking up an acoustic with some nylon strings. They should be softer on your fingers. I think no guitarist should have any less than at least one or two acoustic songs under thier belts.
Personally, I'd rather use steel strings, as they build up more strength, and in your case would be more suited to the music you listen to (metal, rock). Once you can play with steel, you can play with nylon, but it's harder the other way around.
"Nice girls like nice guys, and nice guys like nice girls, so..."

Nice guys finish last bro, most girls (notice the word most) like to be treated badly and almost all of them always want the "bad boy".... but then again, "bad boys" lay guitar for chicks on the beach and then take advantage of them.... and to answer your question check on ebay or at guitar center but generally the best place to purchase your first acoustic guitar is from a pawn shop... and steel string give it a good "rockish" sound which compliments most main stream music... I play electric too but acoustic is much more difficult and will help you in every aspect of the instrument... from hammer ons and pull offs to fingertip durability... even a cheap acoustic just for practice would be a wise purchase (my first acoustic was a $150 kona, i still have it and i can make it sound pretty good) good luck with your endeavors bro
I use my acoustic as a handicap. Things I can barely do on it come out great on my electric.
Quote by C@sper
"Nice girls like nice guys, and nice guys like nice girls, so..."

Nice guys finish last bro, most girls (notice the word most) like to be treated badly and almost all of them always want the "bad boy".... but then again, "bad boys" lay guitar for chicks on the beach and then take advantage of them.... and to answer your question check on ebay or at guitar center but generally the best place to purchase your first acoustic guitar is from a pawn shop... and steel string give it a good "rockish" sound which compliments most main stream music... I play electric too but acoustic is much more difficult and will help you in every aspect of the instrument... from hammer ons and pull offs to fingertip durability... even a cheap acoustic just for practice would be a wise purchase (my first acoustic was a $150 kona, i still have it and i can make it sound pretty good) good luck with your endeavors bro

Thanks for the advice... I still want a nice girl :P

My first acoustic is going to be purchased from a family member who owns a music store in another state (we happen to be planning to go see them, so I figured now would be the best time to get one, because hopefully I'll get a really good deal on it :P).

I think I'm going to go with steel strings, by the way.
Good call on the steel... get some Elixers you won't regret it... Just put a set on my sister's acoustic last night and they play and sound awsome!!! It is a $99 guitar...
it will help you a lot... hammer ons and offs are hard on a steel string guitar... (if you get heavy strings anyhoo) and plus its going to tear your fingertips to shreds (which will make good calluses) and b.t.w. you cant find a good girl but they aren't too tough to make though ; )
Whats all this crap about girls !!!!!!!!!
Women are the go BOYS
whats that old saying goes something like
"every man wants an angel in public & a 'W_H_O_R_E' in the bedroom"
thats pretty close dont you think.

Also dont worry so much about whether you have a nylon or steel, women are into music.
& as far as the bad boy thing you guys have been watching to much T.V.
just have a look at a bit of musical history who has had more luck with women
the crap boy bands or the heavy metal bands. Sorry to say the women will go for the puncey boy bands every time. On mass, there of corse is the exceptions, but as a rule of thumb ask your sisters or (god forbid) your mum.
Most women just want to be treated as humans No 1 , women No 2 & as a friend No 3 if all these criteria are met then Love is on the cards.
& i dont care how "Hard Case" any man thinks he is , when under the power of a woman he is a little pussy cat. Like it or hate it what im saying is true. When you look back on a plethora of broken relationships & marriges it gives you wonderful hindsight
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Mar 27, 2007,
girls like every different kind of guy, some times you dont expect it or know why, but who even cares, some like nerds, some like badasses, some like nice guys with bad sides, some like bad guys with nice sides and some are lesbians.... i didnt remember reading anything about this in the original post?

anyway buy an acoustic, in my opinion its tied with the most beautiful sounding instrument with the grand piano, the finger strength and picking are just other benifits, the sound is the true reward.
Huh? If you're poor, buy a Johnson guitar. Cheap ass guitar, but you'll get your money out of it. When I started out on electric I thought the only way I would improve would be to play the fastest solos out there. Bleh. I paid 50 bucks for mine, and it's the only guitar in my 5 guitar line up ill bring to a party, because it sounds good enough and I don't care if i spill my beer on it or slam it against too many walls between songs.

Oh, and being an ex-niceguy - give that up now. Seriously, you can get a girl being a nice guy, but she'll cheat with the guy who acts not so nice like me .
PM TO WIN A DATE!!!
Quote by distinct_eulogy
Huh? If you're poor, buy a Johnson guitar. Cheap ass guitar, but you'll get your money out of it. When I started out on electric I thought the only way I would improve would be to play the fastest solos out there. Bleh. I paid 50 bucks for mine, and it's the only guitar in my 5 guitar line up ill bring to a party, because it sounds good enough and I don't care if i spill my beer on it or slam it against too many walls between songs.

Oh, and being an ex-niceguy - give that up now. Seriously, you can get a girl being a nice guy, but she'll cheat with the guy who acts not so nice like me .

I'm not looking for, a, uhh... "cheap ass guitar", I want $400-ish...

And... uhh, I'll keep your girl advice in mind... >_>
i think breedlove makes pretty good guitars for a fair price. At least thats what ive been reading in here. Ive picked 1 up at GC before and played it for a minute and it sounded pretty dece. Im personally a taylor ***** when it comes to acoustix but you can go to Musiciansfriend.com and click the 400-500 category and see what comes up.

Since everyone is adding girl advice...

Be the type of guy YOU want to be. Youll meet the right girl for yourself b/c she will be attracted to the guy you are and if that guy is the one YOU want to be your in business.

If you just want to bang a bunch of chix per week etc, be an ass, and frequent situations and environments with alchohol.

GL and godspeed.

-B-
"TONE ADDICT"
Ok I'll lay it out for you.
What you want is a steel string guitar for your type of music. Within the $350-$400 price range you really wont find a good A/E with a cut away. In order to find a good A/E with a cut away you will have to spend at LEAST $500 preferably $700 or more.
This is the best guy in your price range: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG750S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518278

It's the Yamaha FG-750S. You can also get cheaper models in the Yamaha FG series that will play just as good and sound almost as good. Anyways, Yamaha guitars are chosen unanimously by the acoustic forum regulars (and people who know what they are talking about) as the best mid/entry level acoustic guitar around. I played on one before I upgraded to my current guitar and I can personally tell you that they are fantastic guitars.

And one last note, if you don't get a Yamaha: MAKE SURE YOU GET A SOLID TOP. In your price range that is the single most important factor in choosing a guitar. If it doesn't say solid top, its not a solid top, and not worth your money.
I went to Guitar Center earlier today, the guy there was really helpful and made some good points about A/E and Cutaways, and after playing a number of guitars, I'm down to this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Parkwood-PW310M-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?full_sku=103407433

I also played a comparable Epiphone Masterbilt, but I feel that this one out-shined the Epiphone in the sound department, for $100 less, and without the hard case. They were both very comfortable though.

Hopefully I'll get a good deal on it (as well as a case) from a family member who owns a music store... hopefully.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Mar 29, 2007,
when i practice i usualy do warm ups on my acoustic, but thats just me
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
Hey at least have a look on eBay. I bought a Yamaha FG-260 12 string in good condition for $350.oo AUD delivered. (approx $250 > $275 USD)

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Habit Zero
I went to Guitar Center earlier today, the guy there was really helpful and made some good points about A/E and Cutaways, and after playing a number of guitars, I'm down to this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Parkwood-PW310M-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?full_sku=103407433

I also played a comparable Epiphone Masterbilt, but I feel that this one out-shined the Epiphone in the sound department, for $100 less, and without the hard case. They were both very comfortable though.

Hopefully I'll get a good deal on it (as well as a case) from a family member who owns a music store... hopefully.

Anyone know what kind of case that one would fit in?
Last edited by Habit Zero at Mar 29, 2007,
Just found out that Parkwoods are exclusive to Guitar Center, so I can't hope to get a deal from family place... going to call and see if they'll even give me a deal, maybe I can get a good Yamaha...