So sometime this fall i should have enough saved up for a new amp and i was thinking B-52 AT-100 but latley ive been looking into mesas single recto's used on ebay. I can get one for around $700 but i was wondering how the cleans are on it. Are they good or do they get muddy fast? I play quite a bit of cleans for like blues and jazz stuff, classic rock, alternative rock, pretty much everything but metal but i do use some pretty grinding distortion once in a while (more than a fender amp can handle). Would the single recto be a good choice or is there any other mesa head i could possibly find for under 1k used? I tried out the Mark IV a few weeks ago and really liked it but i really want a stack not a combo.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
You can get dual and single rectifiers under $1,000 pretty easily but that's about the only recto/mark amplifier you can get for that price.

the cleans should be fine.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You can get dual and single rectifiers under $1,000 pretty easily but that's about the only recto/mark amplifier you can get for that price.

the cleans should be fine.

I actually saw a couple for a little cheaper than the single and duals on ebay. Whats the big difference between the single dual and triples?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I actually saw a couple for a little cheaper than the single and duals on ebay. Whats the big difference between the single dual and triples?

The rectifiers are all in the same family, so they're all similar, here are the differences.

Single -50w 2 channel with only one rectifier.

Dual - 100w 3 channel with switchable rectifier.

Triple - 150w 3 channel with switchable rectifier.

The older version of the rectifiers were only two channel (like the single) however they had switchable rectifiers too, I believe.

Generally with mesas you have a few things: firstly, you have to turn them up. Yes, it even says in the manual to get the best possible tone out of your amp turn it up past 10:00 on the master volume. Second, they are LOUD. 10:00 on the volume with the single recto I used to own was basically wall shaking and insanely loud. Like, I'd say it was louder than I needed to practice with my bandmates (and my ex-drummer was a heavy hitter)

To get a good tone out of a mesa YOU WILL HAVE TO TURN IT UP. They are LOUD. So the higher wattage you get, the harder it will be to turn it up. However, if you go with a single you lose features like the switchable rectifier and a third channel.

My advice if you want a rectifier:

Buy a Version 2 rectifier (the ones they've sold for the last 8-10 years) and pull two power tubes. This will half the wattage, making it easier to get tube breakup (which is why you have to turn them up) without getting a breakup of the ear drum. If that's still too loud, get a power attenuator. Weber and THD are the first that come to mind.

Now the Mark amplifiers- those are an entirely different beast than the recto. If you aren't sure which to pick between the mesa, maybe you should spend more time observing your options OUTSIDE of the Mesa/Boogie brand amplification. There are ALOT of great sounding rigs out there.

Also::::::::::::

You wont be able to find a mesa half stack under $1,000. Expect to pay at least $800 for the head and $500 for the cab USED.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 24, 2007,
If you can get a Mark IV for that price, i'd go with that. Otherwise the single rectos sound great.
Yeah Mark IV....and you cant get them in a stack if you didnt know. Mark four will be able to do anything. Recto cleans suck beyond all meaning of the word "suck"

EDIT: CAN get them in a stack....my bad, just a typo. *feels stupid for not re-reading before posting*
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Last edited by Crimson_Eve at Mar 25, 2007,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
If you can get a Mark IV for that price, i'd go with that. Otherwise the single rectos sound great.

You can't, really.

Unless you get some kind of suicidal madman trying to sell you his amplifier for $1000 so he can kill himself.

Not to mention a Mark IV is nothing like a rectifier..
Quote by Crimson_Eve
Yeah Mark IV....and you cant get them in a stack if you didnt know. Mark four will be able to do anything. Recto cleans suck beyond all meaning of the word "suck"

Cant i j/ put a cab output on the mark IV if i get it?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by Crimson_Eve

If u cant get them in stack then whats this... http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-MESA-BOOGIE-MARK-IV-RACK-MOUNTABLE-AMP-HEAD-NEW_W0QQitemZ170093599123QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by soul_power
Cant i j/ put a cab output on the mark IV if i get it?

Mark IV combos have an extension cab out and can also be wired to run on another cab anyway.

And yes, you can buy Mark IV heads as well.

Like I said, I highly doubt you will be able to get a mark IV for less than $1,000. You're looking to spend at least $1,300 for a mark IV in a decent condition.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 24, 2007,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Mark IV combos have an extension cab out and can also be wired to run on another cab anyway.

And yes, you can buy Mark IV heads as well.

Like I said, I highly doubt you will be able to get a mark IV for less than $1,000. You're looking to spend at least $1,300 for a mark IV in a decent condition.

I think it would still be worth it. How many watts?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Well, Mark IV head have several power modes, I think the maximum is 85w and the minimum is 30w.

Keep in mind you're going to pay, usually 1300 + shipping for a used Mark IV head. which is about $600 more than the B-52 etc that you're looking at.

Not saying they're a bad amp, just pointing out the price difference (twice as much??) between the two.
Quote by Crimson_Eve

Shivers... Disturbing Quote...

WTF! are you talking about............ My Dual Rec Tremoverb is F--king AWESOME in the clean channel, I run that as my Left channel on my stereo rig and it absolutely is fantastic. You have to eq it right... Knobs work 2 ways and more isnt always the best thing .. It easily obtains Twin reverb sounds, bassman sounds with 6L6 tubes, Marshall tones with El34s, And the Reverb tank is the same that fender puts in their hi end amps like the custom shop sunburst and vintage tweeds I've played..
Quote by Got2MuchGear
Shivers... Disturbing Quote...

WTF! are you talking about............ My Dual Rec Tremoverb is F--king AWESOME in the clean channel, I run that as my Left channel on my stereo rig and it absolutely is fantastic. You have to eq it right... Knobs work 2 ways and more isnt always the best thing .. It easily obtains Twin reverb sounds, bassman sounds with 6L6 tubes, Marshall tones with El34s, And the Reverb tank is the same that fender puts in their hi end amps like the custom shop sunburst and vintage tweeds I've played..

I am talking about recto cleans sucking shit. I know EQ works both ways. Even then at best you are only going to get acceptable tones. Nothing I would ever record with or think couldnt be about 10x better. Sure it IS possible to get a clean tone that doesnt make you cringe... But Recto cleans are nothing to be proud of. To each his own I suppose though....
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die