From the title it is a little confusing but ill tell you a summary of my story....
I recently bought a new guitar epip les paul elitist (already great tones ect you know) but i need to get a amp so i can stop going to my friends house and making noise there so.... i was wonder what i should do for mynew amp idea!~ My friends are all telling me to grab a line 6 amp... but i dont really agree but i like the distortion but i wanted something more toneful and not really digital... so i was deciding to get a pedal + amp instead but im very confused when it comes to what amps i should look at and how to try them out.
ok so
Me? I play alot of classic rock like zeppelin, well mostly zeppelin but i play sabbath some random jazz and some songs im like hey that is cool so it is very diverse and i need a amp. My Price range lands around 500 so i need help. (also throw in good pedal's if you want too)
SORRY FOR BEING A NOOBIE WITH AMPS (but i read alot and dont learn much)
dont go for a line6. go for a Roland Cube, i heard they are awesome for amps w/ built-in fx and modeling
Check out my music *
yea i have a cube 60 and its awsome
dont need to buy a pedal and has many amp models
only thing is you cant opperate the fx with a pedal
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
since u want something not so digital and that can be diverse, then you should get a fender blues junior, which is all tube and sounds amazing with pedals, of course it will run you about $400 leaving u with only 100 to buy pedals with but it will be a much better starting point than getting a solid state such as the spider, since u can always add more pedals as u go along!
MY RIG!
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Stratocaster standard
Fender Toronado GT HH
Boss OS-2
BBE Sonic Maximizer

Member #31 of the Fender Armada!
Member #2 of the UG Blues Jr. Owners Club!
if you can afford it a Line6 Flextone 3 is a great amp, the spider series blows but the Flextone is great@!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by McClean05
Sweep picking if i could actually get faster at it. But overall . . everything. Every technique in guitar playing is worth learning or playing. Nice thread by the way
Do you want the amp just to make noise in the house, or are you looking to jam with friends or maybe do small gigs?

If you want to play with others, go with something like a Blues Jr. Get a used one for $300 or less, and get an OD pedal and maybe a wah to go with it. You'll be set for a while.

If it's just for the house, you could get a toneful Epi Valve Jr. combo for $140, and have plenty of money left over to start a pedal collection.

If you already know you don't like "digital sounding," you should stay away from anything solid state if you can. You'll like it even less after you've owned one for a couple months.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by aj2good4you2
since u want something not so digital and that can be diverse, then you should get a fender blues junior, which is all tube and sounds amazing with pedals, of course it will run you about $400 leaving u with only 100 to buy pedals with but it will be a much better starting point than getting a solid state such as the spider, since u can always add more pedals as u go along!

Agreed. In my book, a good amp and a good pedal is always better than a crappy amp and 3 pedals. I made that mistake myself.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
The Blues junior is the quintessential versatile small amp. Get it, and a decent OD/distortion pedal and you're fine. Don't even consider a line 6.

edit: Its always better to have an awesome amp. A crappy amp with some great pedals will still sound crappy.
Rig:
PRS SE semi hollow (blue)
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
Quote by TheforumTroll
The Blues junior is the quintessential versatile small amp. Get it, and a decent OD/distortion pedal and you're fine. Don't even consider a line 6.

edit: Its always better to have an awesome amp. A crappy amp with some great pedals will still sound crappy.

blues junior FTW
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
500 what? £s? $s? Bananas?
If it's dollars you should be able to get say a Used Peavey classic 30, Randall RG50TC, Tech 21 Trademark 60, Ampeg J12T, Blues JR, Pignose G40V would sound much better than an SS amp with a pedal.
The line 6 vetta amp is a decent amp.
If $500 (USD), then perhaps look into the Vox AD50VT - I think that fits that priceline. If it's £500 (GBP), then I'd suggest a Marshall DSL401 combo. A 40 watt all-valve (tube) Marshall combo. They own.
Thanks Guys im actually considering the Vox AD50VT and the Roland Cube! thanks any more suggestions or comments on pedals? ive heard much about boss pedals for distortion but ive personally like the sound of the vox bulldog
If you don't like digital then don't get either of those, seeing as their both digital. Granted they're both better than the Line 6 equivalent but if you already know the sounds you like then you may as well get an amp that does them well, rather than one that pretends to do them and also does a load of other stuff you aren't arsed about,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you like Zeppelin, Sabbath and those kind of sounds then a small tube amp and an OD pedal are the way to go. Either of the aforementioned Valve Jr or Blues Jr are a good place to start looking, obviously if oy ulook used too then your options open up more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Im aware of blue jr but isnt the wattage like 15? im in need from something a little higher for band and jamming sessions so like 30ish im gussing
Quote by roxorzroxz
Thanks Guys im actually considering the Vox AD50VT and the Roland Cube!

How'd you come to that conclussion?

Quote by steven seagull
If you don't like digital then don't get either of those, seeing as their both digital. Granted they're both better than the Line 6 equivalent but if you already know the sounds you like then you may as well get an amp that does them well, rather than one that pretends to do them and also does a load of other stuff you aren't arsed about,

^ outstanding advice!

Blues Jr, Crate V16, Epi Valve Standard, or hit the used market for bigger amps and a wider variety as beckyjc said. If you know you don't like digital now, be smart and stay away from it. Go tube. You'll never go back.

Quote by roxorzroxz
any more suggestions or comments on pedals? ive heard much about boss pedals for distortion but ive personally like the sound of the vox bulldog

Ibanez/Maxon TS9/OD808, great all around classic rock OD pedals. Can't really go wrong with a Big Muff if you're more interested in fuzz than overdrive. And you could always do both.

What other sounds are you looking for? I definitely recommend a wah because they're a lot of fun. The Vox 847 is another great classic rock choice. Chorus, phaser, flanger? EHX makes great stuff, IMHO.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I dont need much more sounds just a od and clean (with wah pedal) stuff like chorus, phaser, flanger i have never really used! (i know i should)

Question about the maxon od808, one of my friends who has this pedal uses a digital amp but when they use the pedal it doesnt give a distortion is this because of the amp?

ADD- and for tube amps the problem i have is when i look at higher watt ones they come out to be big $$$ or maybe im just not looking in the right places?
Last edited by roxorzroxz at Mar 25, 2007,
Quote by roxorzroxz
I dont need much more sounds just a od and clean (with wah pedal) stuff like chorus, phaser, flanger i have never really used! (i know i should)

Question about the maxon od808, one of my friends who has this pedal uses a digital amp but when they use the pedal it doesnt give a distortion is this because of the amp?

ADD- and for tube amps the problem i have is when i look at higher watt ones they come out to be big $$$ or maybe im just not looking in the right places?
You don't need a higher watt tube amp. Tube amps are much louder than solid state amps with the equivalent amount of wattage. Besides, you want to look for an amp based on tone, not power.

I recommend you try out a Blues Jr, and some of the other amps suggested. Once you find one that you like a lot, try out some different OD/dist. pedals with it.

And slatsmania and Steven Seagull know what they're talking about, man. I'd at least give their advice a shot.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál

The overdrive pedal is good to have for extra gain, and also to get high gain sounds at lower volumes if you can't crank the amp, also an EQ is really helpful particularly on something like the Valve Jr that doesn't have onboard EQ. After that, a wah pedal is nice if you like that sort of thing, a reverb pedal if the amp doesn't have onboard reverb and a chorus pedal is nice to make cleans sparkly....anything else is pretty limited in it's usefulness.

yup, modellers don't work in the same way as conventional amps and can get cranky if you muck about with their input signal. It doesn't work too well with some soid state amps either, but there's no way of knowing until you try. Having said that it's not really a distortion pedal, it's a relatively transparent overdrive pedal so it could be that it just isn't making the sound he's expecting...if he runs it in the clean channel expecting bonecrushing distortion then no, it's not what it does.

Realistically you aren't going to need anything more than 30 watts absolute maximum, and even the 5 watt valve Jr is pretty damn loud. Tube amps sound louder that solid state becasue they produce more frequencies that your ear is sensitive to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by roxorzroxz

It's true that a lot of these digital amps don't take pedals very well, but it's also possible that your friend doesn't have the settings right. The Maxon OD808 is an awesome pedal.

Quote by roxorzroxz

You don't need a huge tube amp.

A 5W tube amp (like the Valve Jr) will rival a 25/30W SS amp in perceived volume.
A 15W tube amp (like the Blues Jr) will rival a 50W SS amp.
A 30W tube will rival a 75W SS.
A 50W tube will be as loud or louder than a 100W SS.

Anything bigger than that, and we're talking about how much permanent hearing damage you can sustain in the shortest period of time.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thanks alot steven seagull first your movies now my amps! next time i go to the music store ill try the Jr and Epi valve stand and see how they are
Quote by slatsmania
You don't need a huge tube amp.

A 5W tube amp (like the Valve Jr) will rival a 25/30W SS amp in perceived volume.
A 15W tube amp (like the Blues Jr) will rival a 50W SS amp.
A 30W tube will rival a 75W SS.
A 50W tube will be as loud or louder than a 100W SS.

Anything bigger than that, and we're talking about how much permanent hearing damage you can sustain in the shortest period of time.

Really? never knew it was compared like that =o so a 15 watt should do me well even over a drum set?
Quote by roxorzroxz
Really? never knew it was compared like that =o so a 15 watt should do me well even over a drum set?

Yep.
^ Most probably. But a 30w tuibe would be better for band practice, etc, then you know for certain you can be just as loud or louder than the drums.
So since I often do band practices or jamming i should shoot towards 30 tube? Or still go with the 15?
Quote by roxorzroxz
So since I often do band practices or jamming i should shoot towards 30 tube? Or still go with the 15?

30W would be my general minimum recommendation for gigging, but there are definitely people on UG who gig with the Blues Jr. It's doable, especially if there's a PA to mic it into.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.