I recently bought a very expensive guitar but its a bit dusty and there is some sweat in the frets. i want to clean it but I'm not sure what to use and i don't want to buy that overpriced guitar center crap. i have plenty of household items at my disposal. what to use?
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Body - Normal water based guitar cleaner/rubbing alcohol/lighter fluid/guitar polish/etc etc.

Cleaning Fretboards
What you need:
- 0000 grade steel wool or 3M Sanding Sponges (Fine/Extra Fine)
- Lighter fluid or 100% rubbing alcohol
- Soft toothbrush
- Clean cotton rag
- Bore/Lemon oil
- Lots of elbow grease & patience

*It is way more easier to clean all your fretboards if you take it out from the body 1st and putting it on the table or if you think its too much hassle assembling it back, then you can just leave it there. I rather prefer leaving it there.

Cleaning the fretboard:
1) Unstring - duh!
2) Use the Sanding Sponges or 0000 grade steel wool & rub gently over the frets, careful not to go against the grains, always make parallel contact with it. If you find it too difficult going parallel with the grains or no room, soak the sanding sponges with lighter fluid or pour it on the fretboard (dont do this on maple fretboard)
3) Clean 1 fret at a time, not going up and down throughout the fretboard
4) Rub gently across the frets, too much pressure isnt necessary as it will ruin the grains. However, depending on the dirt accumulated, own discretion
5) If the dirt still remains, then use more force/lighter fluid to remove it
6) Now that you've removed the stubborn thick dirt, its time to use normal face tissue paper/cotton cloth to remove the finer dirt in the grain. Soak it/pour lighter fluid on the fretboard
7) When you're happy and the dirt's gone, you can now apply bore/lemon oil onto the fretboard, you can just drip some onto the freboard and wipe gloss or apply to clean rag 1st -be careful not to use your fingernails as it will leave scratchmarks-
8) Leave to air dry overnight

Before (rosewood):

Before (maple):

Applying the Bore-oil to the dried fretboard since alcohol vaporizes quick

After (rosewood):

After (maple):

Tips* Its not recommended to use alcohol/lighter fluid on maple fretboards but i find it pretty hard to remove the stain so a little wouldnt hurt

Helpful Website:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks alot ill use that for my rosewood right now but does anyone know if there should be any special instruction for ebony?
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
^ you can still use my tutorial for ebony
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
is 70% alcohol ok?
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II