So I can't figure out if it is alright, or a bad habit to wrap my thumb when doing arpeggios that cover more than 3 strings. I've watched a bunch of vids on youtube, and it seems most people keep their thumb in the middle of the neck, whereas mine habitually creeps up the side of the neck.

Now I do have small hands, and it seems only right that I should need to wrap my thumb, but when I do, I have a more angled attack on the frets, so at faster speeds I tend to miss the fretting on the A or D strings. On the other hand, I have spent time trying to develop my sweeping with my thumb at both positions, though I tend to be able to go much faster with my thumb wrapped, though it seems there is a threshold of how fast I can sweep when my thumb is wrapped.

So my question is: should I keep my thumb in the back center of the neck, or wrap it?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
for argepegios? hell no, your thumb should be level/horizonal along the back of your guitar ALWAYS, except perhaps not really for open chords as it dont matter but yeah, your thumb should help support.
Try not to, it is horrible technique for sweeps and WILL interfere with them in every aspect.

However, it is fine for chording.
So now I know wrapping my thumb is wrong, but should my thumb be exactly in the middle of the neck, or can it be halfway between the truss rod and left side of my neck, to the point where no one else could see it if they were facing me? As hard as I try, I can't exactly keep it planted in the middle, and it shifts slightly up.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Mar 25, 2007,
Wow...my technique will probably improve tenfold if I can re-train my hand. Thanks for the advice.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha