ok well, i got a small dilemma. i have been looking into a new amp for a while now, and im pretty set on either a 50watt marshall jmp/jtm plexi or an orange rocker 50. or a hiwatt dr50, if i can find one that isnt like $2000 dollars or more. anyway so im not sure if i should settle for a marshall for about like $1000 is the cheapest i could find, or save up like almost double that for an orange or hiwatt. i play mostly blues classic rock, my tone idols are like duane allman, jimmy page, santana, the like. anyway, what do you guys think?
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
For their tones perfectly I'd say a Marshall, but I am a Hiwatt man all the way, but that aside a Hiwatt would have the most versatility out of all those amps.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
you could go with...
a fender bassman or
a marshall bluesbreaker or
the jtm head with the 1960 cab or
a vox ac30 with celestion blue speakers orrrrrrrr
fender vibrolux with an ibanez ts808 and get the srv blues rock sound
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
ya i thought about a bassman and the vox, but they dont get enough gain/distortion for some other stuff i play so i wanted something that i could actually get some gain on. ive played fenders, theyr cleans are ssssooooo gggoooood. but i want some freedom for some gain. the vox is pretty sick though...nice bluesy sound with some crunch. i was looking at this 125watt vox, but i wasnt sure... ive played a bluesbreaker and the cleans are super nice too, but it doesnt get enough natural distortion when cranked, at least thats what happend when i played it at gc. im still thinking either the orange or the marshall. or even a vox, if i can find like an old ac-50 for a reasonable price.

to the ranger01, i really like hiwatts too. but i think im not gonna go for that b/c its really expensive and...well, im not exactly in a situation to save up for that much. but that helps folks. im pretty well set on a marshall/orange/vox. still... anymore advice?
oh i forgot to ask beneboy, are you really pleased with your dallas arbiter fuzz face? b/c i was looking into one but wasnt sure if it would be worth it. right now i have this seymour duncan preamp pedal that acts kinda like a dual channel distortion, but i really wanted to experiment with some fuzz, would you recommend it?

also, would you recommend an ibanez tubescreamer? one of my teachers friends at gc told me that my preamp pedal right now is pretty much equal to a tubescreamer... true? or tubescreamer is better?
I actually have found a place that sells old amps for really cheap. Its been a pretty well kept secret of mine. They have Hiwatt DR103s for around $800, and marshalls and stuff are a bit more expensive but still in the low range (in the 1- 2k for an orig. plexi).

http://www.toneheaven.ndirect.co.uk/index.html

Just so ya know the prices are US and include s&h

Wow.....i think im starting to sound like a salesman....
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Goto a store and try out the Orange and Hiwatt amps in there. Then think to yourself: "Are these really worth the wait?". If so, save. If not, look at some other amps in the range. Personally, I think you can never go wrong with an Orange or Hiwatt. Both companies have never ceased to amaze me.
Sent from my iPad.
no im actually not to pleased with the fuzz face, i guess its because i dont know how to really properly use it, but an overdrive is the way to go im thinking for you,
either an ibanez tube screamer or a digitech bad monkey, obviously the tubescreamer would be best but the bad monkey is my favorite pedal right now
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Quote by Ranger01
I actually have found a place that sells old amps for really cheap. Its been a pretty well kept secret of mine. They have Hiwatt DR103s for around $800, and marshalls and stuff are a bit more expensive but still in the low range (in the 1- 2k for an orig. plexi).

http://www.toneheaven.ndirect.co.uk/index.html

Just so ya know the prices are US and include s&h

Bookmarked....

That's great advice. I was gonna recommend you look used if you're getting impatient. Definitely get much more for your money on the used market, often getting better quality than you could hope to find in a new amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
orange and hiwatt are both worth the wait, IMO. the last thing i'm getting before my car is an orange.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
haha, thanks guys. ya i have always wanted an orange. my dream is to have like a wall of orange stacks, that would be sick. anyway, ya ill check that place out. thnks, up till now, ive been using gbase.com, but it is mostly guitars.

so does anyone have any other opinion on the tubescreamer vs fuzz pedal? right now i have a seymour duncan preamp pedal, which is supposed to be basically like the tubescreamer, except with 2 channels, one for rhythym and one for lead.
wow, i just checked that site. its the bomb. $800 for a hiwatt dr50. thats the shit. i think i might get one. i like the oranges too, but i think 120watts is too much for my needs. plus i dont think ill need so much headroom. i play mostly in like a small school auditorium or a pretty big living room in my house. anyway, i think for my purposes 50watts should do, what do you guys think?
50 watts is fine, the only thing is you will need a OD unit as you will have to turn it to max to get any natural distortion at all. the 2 ones I have found sound best with Hiwatts are the BK Butler Tube Driver, and the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Bah, I thnk once I get a job I'm probably going to save up for more gear--and orange amps/cabs are one of em'.

They're just too awesome, but try em' out yourself.

Hiwatt, orange, and marshall are quality amps.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R