I have been playing for about 4 years and I am ready to take my playing to the next step. I wanna learn everything about the blues, i DO NOT want to get a book that just teaches me songs. I want a book that teaches me scales, chords, and basically how to solo like a bluesman. Im really interested in Stevie Ray, Clapton, that kind of stuff but I dont wanna just buy a songbook from one of their albums. I want to learn the actual blues theory.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

The only real way to be a true blues-man is to learn the scales and listen to blues music. All the rest comes from yourself.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
There's a few good blues books out there. All you have to do is browse through the pages of some at your music store and see if they contain what you want. A lot of books have the scales and chords in them along with some songs to demonstrate their use. I'd suggest picking up one of these because then you can learn how they fit in and make your own riffs according.
^ I agree. You kind of just have to pound the pavement. I know some of the more recent books also include DVD lessons. May be worth checking out.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
The only real way to be a true blues-man is to learn the scales and listen to blues music. All the rest comes from yourself.

That's not true at all. There are many blues conventions that every blues guy should have as part of their repertoire, starting with turnarounds. And it helps to learn how to properly execute techniques.

That being said, one of the most useful things you can do is study blues musicians. There's really not much actual theory surrounding blues, just different styles.
Hi, I'm Peter
As far as Blues songs go, there really is only ONE Blues song: I-IV-V
I never understood why people want to learn a specific blues song because they're
all the same progression.

That being said, there's quite a bit of variation in blues especially from a soloing point
of view. And some theory can take you quite far (to the next level).

You can look at it is straight Blues/Minor Pentatonic playing in the base key. Or
you can look at it as 3 key changes. A good blues player mixes both up (whether
they know the theory or not). Generally, a new player uses only the first. To
take your playing to the next level you have to follow the chord changes.

You can practice this pretty easily with the steps:

1) Arpeggios. First learn the major arpeggio (or even dom7) fingerings. Then practice
playing only those notes over a I-IV-V progression. The idea is not to sound great,
but to be able to find those notes anywhere as the chord changes.
2) Major pentatonic. Similar to the arpeggio practice but you'll be changing between
three different scales (the major pent of each chord).
3) Mixolydian. Again you'll be changing between 3 different scales for each chord.

I suggest that order because if you look at it the ones above are subsets of those
that are below.

If none of that makes any sense, you may indeed need a book of some sort.
I'm not sure of a specific book that helps. I have a bunch, but I'd have to look
through them.
Blues come from the heart not a book. You either have it or you don't

Stevie Ray Vaughan had it.

Muddy Waters had it.

Albert King had it.

Robert Johnson had it.

Well you get the idea.
Half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard.
Hogwash also comes from the heart, not a book.

Edit: Oh OK. It comes from books too I guess

You're thinking of HogWARTS...Harry Potter.

I can't believe the TS is getting grief for this, he's asked one of the most sensible questions I've seen in a while and i actually showing a willingness to LEARN, as opposed to just expecting to be magically endowed with the ability to play stuff just by looking at a tab.

edg is right, you just need to immerse yourself in the I-IV-V and minor pentatonic. Listening to loads of different style will help though, the 2 Alberts (Collins and Lee), Clapton's blues stuff, BB-King, SRV, Hendrix, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, early Stones and Zeppelin even. They've all got different takes on the blues, but at it's core it's the same old tried and tested formula.

You don't really need an awful lot of theory regarding blues, once you've got the basics then you usually have plenty to be keep you going as far as improvising goes...download some simple 12-bar backing tracks and just give it a go.

Oh, and watch Crossroads with Ralph Macchio...it'll help
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have "blues guitar for dummies. Its a great help. For those wh said it comes from the heart. you are stupid idiots. you cant pull scales out of your ass. u must learn them before u can play from the heart. Muddy Waters didnt just start playing and shredding.(<i know theres a better word for this but...)
So you're saying Muddy Waters bought a "How to play blues book"?
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
I know, I know it was just a harmless joke no offense intended.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7