Page 1 of 2
Hey guys... So I found this is in the Sunday Mail newspaper today [For those not from here, it's a newspaper in Adelaide, Australia].

Anyways I thought this article might interest someone.

What do you think? Personally, I know a fair few intelligent metallers, so yeah.
GARGLING FOAMY SPIT
YOUR THROAT IS VIOLENTLY SLIT
THESE SYMPTOMS WON'T REMIT
YOU'RE FORCED TO CHOKE ON IT!
"Devoted to such bands as Iron Maiden" Haha, and that's the only band the put. Nice.
Of course many metalheads are really intelligent, take for example Dave Mustain, but yet a lot of real metalheads(at least some of the metal musicians) are into classical music....
Quote by sweet_flower
Hey guys... So I found this is in the Sunday Mail newspaper today [For those not from here, it's a newspaper in Adelaide, Australia].

Anyways I thought this article might interest someone.

What do you think? Personally, I know a fair few intelligent metallers, so yeah.

we are not social outcasts
Quote by mines_1988
Of course many metalheads are really intelligent, take for example Dave Mustain, but yet a lot of real metalheads(at least some of the metal musicians) are into classical music....

and dee snyder...
This has been posted like 3 times already...
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
i think it's because there's a lot of unique 'experiments' and sounds within metal.

bands like atheist and cynic mix in jazz, bands like morbid angel and children of bodom use some classical, power metal has a lot of technical skill.
it keeps it interesting, and the technical side of it appeals to us.

that's what i think anyway.

i don't get it though. even though i dropped out a lot of people consider me as being one of the smartest people they've ever met, yet i have heaps of friends. and the people i know that are heaps smart and don't have many friends don't listen to metal at all. just mainstream rap and pop
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by guitargasm?
we are not social outcasts

yes we are
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
Quote by *'-'*
yes we are

Social outcasts because we have better music taste, and besides.. there isn't just a few of us. You've just got to look around.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
^Jokes dude. But yeah I'd say around 60% of the metalheads at my school are above average intelligence. The other 40 would be made up of around 35% who are by no means stupid. And, as always there's the 5% who go around like "I listen to Deaf Metarl!!! Raaaawr!" Who don't listen to real metal, and are really, really stupid
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
Quote by *'-'*
^Jokes dude. But yeah I'd say around 60% of the metalheads at my school are above average intelligence. The other 40 would be made up of around 35% who are by no means stupid. And, as always there's the 5% who go around like "I listen to Deaf Metarl!!! Raaaawr!" Who don't listen to real metal, and are really, really stupid

I know, I just wanted to say it..
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
I love to listen to metal, that's why my grades are always high...

...that, or maybe because I'm Asian.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Quote by insideac
I cant read it, its crooked . No but seriously. There are more "metalheads" that are stupid, than the intelligent ones.

I'm gonna have to respectfully dissagree.
Most of the metalheads I know are extremly intelligent, very well spoken, great people and very polite. I always found people who say stuff like "if you hang out with metalheads you're in for a trouble" to be funny, because really if you look at it (and I dont mean to bash any other genre or its fans), but just from what Iv'e seen, the people who are into techno and hip hop and all that stuff, are the people who act like idiots, and are being violant. again, I hate to generalize people, so I hope you understood what I meant.

I really like the article BTW, thanks for posting, threadstarter.

^And LMAO!!!
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
I listen to metal and I have a 140 I.Q. The dumbest kid I know listens to Celine Dion. Metal=smart.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
faqu, I'm with you there - I have the same view / similar perspective.
EDIT: I can see it now, and this sort of outcome from a study doesn't surprise me at all, really.

I mean there is always a "out-lier" (according to statistics), being the "stupid &/or boisterous kids that listen to Heavy Metal", but for the most part the Metal-Heads that I know are fairly intelligent / well spoken / learned (lol little joke there).

I got into Metal early in High-School and my mate was the one that got me into it, we were what you would consider "Half Nerds" if your big on stereotyping etc. As in we were very social, enjoyed joking around / having a good laugh, but had intelligent conversations, talked about news/world issues etc, studied Maths, Physics, Chemistry etc, and later started to get into Music (play instruments, learning about different aspects of it etc). So yeah, makes sense to me
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Mar 25, 2007,
Metal can be broken into a few groups

The metalheads that are in it for the love of the music (the musicians or admirer's of talent)
The metalheads that love it for the intensity ( the ones that go to drink beers and pit)
The metalheads that do it for popularity (The mall goths/cyber goths and all those other outcasts that bring metal down)
^The first two don't have to be mutually exclusive (and the last aren't Metal-Heads, to be honest), I mean I listen to Slayer & Suffocation etc for the intensity as well as to thrash around drunk, but listen to other bands for the superb Musicianship & songwriting.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
There's a good amount of pseudo-intellectuals/dumbasses that listen to metal (sadly, Slayer seem to have an abundance of these fans) but there's no way to argue that a good amount of metal fans are definitely pretty intelligent.

Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
They ran the same article in an Irish newspaper, accompanied by a photo of 'Metallica frontman James Hatfield or so the caption read.

Anyways, I dont see why people are so surprised, of course metal is linked to intelligence, be it musical knowledge or lyrical outlook
Definately on my physics degree course there is a disproportionate amount of metal fans.
nah metalheads just read a thesaurus and think they're smart
psuedo-intellects ftl
I think that its right and at the same time wrong. I know some tards/druggies that listen to metal. But then again I know alot geniuses that listen to metal
Yep, it seems like metalheads can make up a good portion of each end of the spectrum. Most of us are either really smart, or really dumb. Then again, there are the outliers (as with anything) that are in the middle, but there aren't very many.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I've met very few metalheads and most of them were very intelligent, not because of the fact that they listen to metal but because they have always been that way.
Last edited by Embodiment at Mar 25, 2007,
Well, it makes sense. There are only a few kids in my school who listen to metal. One of which, has like a 4.6, the other a 4.0, and then me. I just dont apply myself and I even pull out a 3.3 (I do as little work as possible and still keep my grades high), so the metal-kids at my school are quite intelligent. And then there's the mallcore homos and "goths", who are also gay, and the kids who Iron Maiden shirts, Metallica shirts, and the occasional Slayer shirt.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by faqu
I'm gonna have to respectfully dissagree.
Most of the metalheads I know are extremly intelligent, very well spoken, great people and very polite. I always found people who say stuff like "if you hang out with metalheads you're in for a trouble" to be funny, because really if you look at it (and I dont mean to bash any other genre or its fans), but just from what Iv'e seen, the people who are into techno and hip hop and all that stuff, are the people who act like idiots, and are being violant. again, I hate to generalize people, so I hope you understood what I meant.

I really like the article BTW, thanks for posting, threadstarter.

^And LMAO!!!

I agree. Even the blue collar drunkard metalheads I know are intelligent people. There is more to intelligence than doing well in school. Of course there are stupid metalheads, but the people who support the scene and are part of it for the most part are good, intelligent people. I think metal demands at least a partly intelligent mind to be listened to and appreciated.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Well I'm the smartest person in the world ever in the whole world ever, and I'm a metalhead, so that works.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Yeah, one of the girls in my music business class was telling me about. I reckon that arcticle is pretty good. Finally were not seen as the rejects/losers/dumbasses of society
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
I would like the article except for the idiotic suggestion that they are social outcasts who can't handle their emotions so they turn to metal. Social pressure relief music wtf?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Snyper
nah metalheads just read a thesaurus and think they're smart
psuedo-intellects ftl

and a medical dictionary *cough*necrophagist*cough*

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by pistols
i think it's because there's a lot of unique 'experiments' and sounds within metal.

bands like atheist and cynic mix in jazz, bands like morbid angel and children of bodom use some classical, power metal has a lot of technical skill.
it keeps it interesting, and the technical side of it appeals to us.

that's what i think anyway.

yeah i agree with that, i listen to metal for the fast paced and aggression and because it is interesting musically

i finished year 12 with a TER of 99.8 with bonus points (TER is a ranking against other students with the highest being 99.95 and lowest being around 45 for you non-australians) i guess im evidence to support their study? woot

Quote by Emenius Sleepus
I would like the article except for the idiotic suggestion that they are social outcasts who can't handle their emotions so they turn to metal. Social pressure relief music wtf?

yeah i agree, i have a shitload of mates and those mates have even more mates then i do and half of them are bigger metal heads then i am

but, this is the world we live in, if you play anything heavier then AC/DC you get called death and/or thrash metal. i played paranoid in my band at school and we got called death thrash by some retarded english teacher
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 26, 2007,
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
and a medical dictionary *cough*necrophagist*cough*

More like "Necro sounds badass, Google it and see what words we can find with it in it."
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Woah, the media saying something positive about metal...I really don't think i've ever seen that before...
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I'd imagine that most genres outside the mainstream have at least a slightly higher percentage of smart people listening to them. Not to bash mainstream music or anything.
Page 1 of 2