Page 1 of 2
out of general curiosity, whats gonna be the next big thing?
And i mean musically, and basically, when we all finally get tired of the constantly overplayed bullshit on the radio, what will take over?
i would do a poll but i have no clue...

but i am thinking that maybe something a little less angry and a little less depressed and a little more aware. I think for the most part, everything that could possibly be said about love and anger and sadness has already been said and its definately time to explore new things...

sooo?

or answer this question, ideally, what would you like music to evolve into next?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
It's hard to tell, people have been trying to predict how the music industry will change, with very little success.

Personally I would like to see thrash come back. I'm getting tired of growling vocals and hardcore dancing.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I was thinking of a genre with more riff oriented stuff on guitar, smooth bass lines, and amazing drums. But with layering and tech-ish music in it.

Heavens with a kick-ass guitarist anyone?

Not to mention, no more "scene" stuff.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Metal-X
Personally I would like to see thrash come back. I'm getting tired of growling vocals and hardcore dancing.

amen dude
Quote by Ghost_bass
did anyone see the new cheerios that have been put out? the're fruity flavored. so basicly its a ripoff of fruitloops.

Quote by Twist of fate
No they're gay cheerios
i think bands like um.... augustana are gonna eventually become the next big media scene.

its too bad too..... i love augustana's originality and sound... -.-
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
I think right now, it's evolving back into the soft-rock alternative type of adult contemporary. Of course, the undergrounds are into emo and screamo, and post-screamo seems to be the hot ticket right now.

For the future? I also think it'll start reverting into more positive music, with more upbeat stuff made for dancing and stuff, I guess. Genres? Probably classic rock if that GNR actually comes and breaks out. It's really a tough call.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
'Nu-emo' and 'scene' is slowly evolving into stuff like Kill Hannah and Neurosonic. I mean, check out Good Charlotte album and Funeral for a Friend's new material for confirmation of this. Mindless Self Indulgence are also flying the flag for this genre.

The disturbing thing is that my band have been playing this kind of music for 3 years, and then all these bands come along that sound like us. We're going to end up being told we're ripping them off when we're just doing what we've been doing since the heighth of emo!

Same happened to Lacuna Coil, I guess... don't mention the 'E' word!

Songs to listen to from the genre I'm talking about:

Kill Hannah- 'Lips Like Morphine'
Neurosonic- 'Crazy Sheila'
Good Charlotte- 'Dance Floor Anthem'
Funeral for a Friend- 'Oblivion'
Mindless Self Indulgence- 'Straight to Video'
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Mar 25, 2007,
Well...musically as far as radio all depends on marketing and the music companies as a whole. The 70's disco and classic rock, 80's hair metal and new wave, 90's grunge and alternative, and now mainly emo and rap. Pop has always stayed a constant through out the years.

It's tough to say what really will be the new genre or theme going on. But like most new trends, it will be something underground that will break through. Most notably hardcore thrash and speed metal. I'd personally would love to hear some more singer/songwriter material like Cat Stevens and Bob Dylan, but that's just me with the type of songs I play and write.
Piano is going to become huge again. With bands like The Fray, Augustana, and guys like Gary Jules and Daniel Powter, with people like this out there, piano is going to be a pretty big thing again. Also, acoustic bands are going to become more popular. That is my guess.
well there will be more than one 'hot genre' like there always is. I'm wanting to see some gool ol' classic rock/jam bands. I would love to turn on the radio and hear some Hendrix or Grateful Dead.

But i recon raggae could do it, all it needs is one good artist.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Maybe if we're lucky Jazz will come back in full swing.

>.>

pun intended? That would deffinetly be great if it did, but i doubt it ever wil im afraid. In britain, everythings going completly indie. Tons of new bands ae coming out of the wodwork, all doing something completley different. Alot of its gone quite techno, whereas some has stayed pretty raw. But a huge indie scene is whats on in britain and i thik it will stay that way, hell, im happy with it!

Good thread
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Hardcore, (Think Refused.) And then it will die. Then soft-rock and pop-rock I guess.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
I think the melodramatic scene bands with spiky hair and choruses which begin with either an 'oooooh' or 'aaaah' and lyrics which mean almost nothing are going to continue to be a strong leading genre.
Though I would love jazz to make a comeback too. Doubt it will ever happen though.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Metal-X

agreed. like old school trash i uspose like metallica on kill em all... that would be cool
Don't know if you guys have noticed but these "emo twats" have tried to bolt on a "rave" aspect to their music; which is just lame and embarrassing seeing as they don't know a thing about it. If you read NME "Nu Rave" will be the next thing. (Think any pop/emo band but with silly synth effects).

Embarrasingly bad. Sadly, a lot of people are lapping it up already.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I think the melodramatic scene bands with spiky hair and choruses which begin with either an 'oooooh' or 'aaaah' and lyrics which mean almost nothing are going to continue to be a strong leading genre.

better not, but theres always gunna be little whinging teenagers in the world that think *in Dr. Cox voice from scrubs* that EVERY LITTLE THING is sooooo depressing and wah wah wah wah wah.

seriously people should appreciate life because without life you cant whinge about how much life sucks.

Id like Classic Rock to come back really. And gotta love the thrash metal.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
Quote by Shea Donoghue
The radio doesn't play bullshit. Listen to more stations instead of generalizing all music by maybe one or two songs you hear, or by what everyone else says.

And personally I'd like folk to come back. But I doubt it'd happen.

wow you must have some kick ass radio where your at

I honestly believe that there is not going to be a next big thing
there are so many different genres and niches and so many different media options delivering these genres to a targeted audience that it will be next to impossible for just "one thing" to make a major impact on music any more.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Thats not radio tho and it is one of the media outlets that I was referring too
I have serious sat. radio and have not listened to an AM or FM broadcast since I got it
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
pun intended?

I was waiting to see who picked up on that. The next genre of music is gonna be pretty interesting, hopefully it will have tastes of all the current music...sorta like a melting pot.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Jackolas
excuse me but...

HIT THE LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the lights the lights,

hit the liiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiights
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
anti-war / harikrishna sh*t

or NO LIFE TIL F*CKING LEATHER!!!!!

Quote by Jackolas
Don't know if you guys have noticed but these "emo twats" have tried to bolt on a "rave" aspect to their music; which is just lame and embarrassing seeing as they don't know a thing about it. If you read NME "Nu Rave" will be the next thing. (Think any pop/emo band but with silly synth effects).

Embarrasingly bad. Sadly, a lot of people are lapping it up already.

sounds like it'll be slightly similar to mid 80's "new wave" music, if that isn't what you're already getting at. punk turned synth inspired pop
Last edited by beau05 at Mar 25, 2007,
well with christina aguilera's new album, i think we are heading in a more jazzed up direction, which would be awsome, because her new album is awsome and i do love a bit of jazz in my life.
But other than that, i think rock is getting softer and more melodic, like the way Silverchair and RHCP are heading but i'd prefer it if it got a bit heavier though, theres only so much soft rock you can take though
IM A GIRL GOD DANG IT!
Quote by Aidy Damage
'Nu-emo' and 'scene' is slowly evolving into stuff like Kill Hannah and Neurosonic. I mean, check out Good Charlotte album and Funeral for a Friend's new material for confirmation of this. Mindless Self Indulgence are also flying the flag for this genre.

The disturbing thing is that my band have been playing this kind of music for 3 years, and then all these bands come along that sound like us. We're going to end up being told we're ripping them off when we're just doing what we've been doing since the heighth of emo!

Same happened to Lacuna Coil, I guess... don't mention the 'E' word!

Songs to listen to from the genre I'm talking about:

Kill Hannah- 'Lips Like Morphine'
Neurosonic- 'Crazy Sheila'
Good Charlotte- 'Dance Floor Anthem'
Funeral for a Friend- 'Oblivion'
Mindless Self Indulgence- 'Straight to Video'

Thing is, a sound like that has been around alot longer than 3 years.
BOLD.
If we are lucky then the next big thing will be tech-death, probably not but you must have some hope
Quote by maddd0g
Thing is, a sound like that has been around alot longer than 3 years.

Hasn't really been as prominent as it is now, though.
I'm hoping for a big load of quality hardcore mixed with dance stuff - Black Flag meets Kraftwerk.
Quote by leaping badger
i think electronicy style music with synths and shizz 80's style

Thats what I was thinking. I reckon synths are coming back in.

And I reckon female fronted rock bands are due for a re-insurgence too!
I actually can see something like ska-core being the next big thing, which would suck for the genre of ska overall.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I can't pretend to have any idea what it will be, but I think a huge change is coming. I think it'll have more to do with economics than music with all this RIAA business, but the music will change as a result. I just have this sense that the entertainment industry is getting so huge and unwieldy that it's all going to come crashing down and everything will sort of have to start from scratch.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by Metal-X
It's hard to tell, people have been trying to predict how the music industry will change, with very little success.

Popular music =/= growled vocals.

I've nevar heard music with growled vocals anywhere on MTV or the radio.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Page 1 of 2