Did any of you have trouble finding your first "real" amp? Did you go to different stores, played some amps here and there, and still felt so lost about what to get? Any one of you just needed a lot more time to get that first amp? Or did you just dive in?

I've been searching a good all tube amp to play rock. Metal, thrash metal, death metal, and classic rock (that's a pretty big umbrella there as well). I listen to Metallica, Lam of god, megadeath, Godsmack, Korn, Pantera, Papa Roach, Rage against the machine, System of a down, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, The Who, Zeppelin, Hendrix, and this list obviously continues to grow!

My Budget is $1000.00 CDN. That's about $865.00 American. I was nuts about the fender Hot Rod Deluxe but fender is known for it's cleans more than metal, and having tried it, I think the pedal would be the doing ALL the work. By itself, it's not that good an amp for mainly metal and classic rock. What marshalls might be good? I keep thinking that's the only way to go! I tried the Mesa Boogie's but I didn't notice anything too different about them. I don't know why people are so crazy about them. (Maybe i should try it again....but still...) And it's WAY beyond my price range...so I wouldn't be able to afford it anyways! I haven't tried any of the Peavy's but I hear those are really good for the metal sound.

I originally wanted versatility with my first "real...official" amp, but I'm seeing that won't come with the price tag of less than a grand. I'm so FkuCinG confused, and peed off!!! I just want an amp! Should I just continuing going from store to store until I just find it? Is that what you did? What amp do you use (if you play metal and/or classic rock).
rig??
Well I got lucky, 2 weeks ago I found a second handed ENGL Thunder Head for 500 euro, and it was in perfect state ( 1 year old) . I play mostly metal ( pantera, amon amarth , metallica, megadeth ) but I also enjoy playing classic rock ( led zeppelin).
Too bad ENGL amps are pretty expensive back in the states.
Orange Enthousiast.
I'm just going to tell you that...

Yeah, it's going to take you one heck of a while to find that ONE amp that you really like. Took me several months to near somewhat a year...but honestly, it's totaly worth it! *hugs orange amp*.

Just don't get up searching and remember, keep playing amps that are above your budget becase you surely can find something great in that price range.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Hey man, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Looking to get my hands on my first tube amp (going for a combo though, I can't have it insanely loud or anything). Got about a thousand dollars Canadian to spend, although I'd probably be willing to go a few hundred over. I'd also be getting this to play classic rock/metal.

What I'm mostly considering right now is the Peavey XXX, and I think you should check it out too. It's about one grand, and would be an amazing amp for all the metal that you mentioned. Cleans are better than you would expect, and it's got more gain than anyone would need really.

I looked at a couple Fenders, but I'd want something that could also handle metal and I don't think they do very well with high gain. Although it would be good for blues and classic rock.

A Marshall would probably be way out of our price range? The one that I was looking at (the DSL 401) was like five or six hundred more than the XXX, and I'm sure it's a good amp overall, but you're probably paying a lot more for the name itself, even though I know it would be great for classic rock.

So going back to the XXX, it's probably the amp I'm going to buy since it's the most easily accessible to me. My only concern is that it's a strictly metal amp, and that I won't be able to get the classic rock tone I would want out of it. I plan to get a nice overdrive pedal sometime, although I'm not sure if that would help any. Although if anyone reading this topic could answer my question, and let me know that a classic rock tone could be possible with the XXX if.. then I'd go with that amp for sure.
Play everything you can get your hands on, in your price range and out of it, and don't be afraid to travel too.

You've just gotta keep trying stuff out until you've found that amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Take a look at this: Traynor YCV50 Blue

I think it fits your bill, and saves you a couple bucks in the process.

The Crate Palomino V50 might be worth a try, too. My son has the V16, lots of gain in it's single channel.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What I'm mostly considering right now is the Peavey XXX, and I think you should check it out too.

hey...I'm actually checking the XXX right now. I'm reading good reviews about it, but I should go check it out right now.

Shadow Eternal.....are you in TOronto? You said Canada...right? That's cool that other people are in the same thing right now as me. But I think it's also my patience. I just want it now....today! BUt whatever....i should save some more and then get a really good amp. We'll see...

And everyone seems ok with getting second hand amps. If they're tube...does that mean that it could possibly be better than buying...let's say another second hand electronics item? I just get paranoid with anything used and electronic. BAD EXPERIENCES! Anyways...thanks.
rig??
Quote by slatsmania
Take a look at this: Traynor YCV50 Blue

I think it fits your bill, and saves you a couple bucks in the process.

The Crate Palomino V50 might be worth a try, too. My son has the V16, lots of gain in it's single channel.

Those amps might need a distortion pedal for his metal needs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by R_H_C_P
Play everything you can get your hands on, in your price range and out of it, and don't be afraid to travel too.

You've just gotta keep trying stuff out until you've found that amp.

yeah. it took me over a year to get my "real" amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And Dave knows how many times I've asked him for advice on amps...

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^ hehe, I wouldn't worry, I asked plenty of people for advice before I bought. I'm just kind of passing on the favour.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
u want an amp for $800 USD i may be able to get rid of my Marshall DSL 100 soon if u are interested
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. it took me over a year to get my "real" amp.

Haha, I had first real pro bass amp before I even owned a bass.

But I can't afford a guitar amp now.

Basically, if you wanna find "your" amp, play everything you can. Don't even worry about features, price, or brand, just play them all and once you have there should be a few amps that really stick out from the rest.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want classic rock tone you have to get a tube amp. The Peavey Valveking 212 Combo sounds great and check the price! Some metal players say it doesn't have enough distortion but you should hear it and decide. It can't hurt to try it out.
im also in this contraption known as "boat"

i got my cab picked out, but the head!!

im more fucked than you though

im a jazz guy(wes montgomery, charlie bird, herb ellis), who plays metal(death, amon amarth, kalmah, pantera) but loves blues(srv, bb king, muddy, wolf) but plays alot of stuff "new age" stuff on electric, mainly Michael Hedges sounding stuff

so quit your bitching and a ****ing peavey valveking (jk, i feel for a bro)
I'm also on the same boat. I'm still choosing my first real amp and i want a tube amp that sounds good at low volumes (bedroom volumes) That can give powerfull distortions. There is epiphone valve junior but it only has a volume knob and it can't do more that classic rock and blues. Orange tiny terror is too powerfull for a room. Zvex nano is too expensive. Solid state amps are toys compared to tube amps. Aparently roland cube is good but whats the fun of playing an amp that imitates other amps and doesn't have an original tone? Marshall dsl 401 is also too powerfull but wait! Marshall made "very good quality amps for the smaller budgets". I don't think that mg and avtx are that good.

Why the hell amp brands make very good and powerfull tube amps to gig and then make cheap and crap amps to practice? The ideal practice amp is a versatil amp that sounds good at low volumes and is well made.
Quote by superbadboy2
There is epiphone valve junior but it only has a volume knob and it can't do more that classic rock and blues. Orange tiny terror is too powerfull for a room. Zvex nano is too expensive.

The Epi VJ and a distortion pedal is a good tone, low cost solution. The Tiny Terror switches down to 7W, which is still pretty loud but not bad for the bedroom. You don't want a Nano as your only amp. It's a recording/practice amp.

Quote by superbadboy2
Why the hell amp brands make very good and powerfull tube amps to gig and then make cheap and crap amps to practice? The ideal practice amp is a versatil amp that sounds good at low volumes and is well made.

Peavey's got a couple new things worth looking at. If you really only want a lower volume high gain amp, the JSX Mini-Colossal is probably perfect for you. If you want to have enough volume available for band practice type situations, the 15W Windsor combo with it's built in attenuator might be worth a look.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I also thought about the epi vj with a pedal but im not sure. Tiny terror would be about 800 euros with a cab. My cousin says that he has headaches from playing too loud on his amp. When i try my cousins tiny terror i will decide if i buy it or not. Then mini colossal is a bit expensive and there isnt much information about it. There arent reviews yet. I might check peavey windsor. Thanks for the help.
Play a bunch of amps, regardless of features. If it sounds good (and looks good), and you love it, then it's "your amp." You don't need a ton of features and special doo-dads to get a great tone.

Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn; his amps were pretty simple. I think he ran like 3 or 4 pedals max, and his tone is probably one of the most sought after.
Well it was hard, but in the end what I ended up doing was just going store to store and playing all the nice amps that they had to get something to work towards. A lot of the amps were cool, but either amazing but insanely out of my price range, or they didnt have what I was looking for. Then I played the Peavey XXX, and it just kind of clicked. I got a great tone out of it without ****ing around with the controls for hours, and it was in my price range. Moral of the story is, try out every single amp you can get your hands on.