I have a real trouble with sweeping things like

--5-----------5--
----5-------5----
------5---5------
--------7--------
-----------------
-----------------

How do I sweep this? Barre with my index finger?
How do I get this clean?

Especially going up they're all ringing..
sweeping is gay and for people with teased hair. For the most part at least. Kirk Hammet did some tasteful sweeps but for the most part I feel its highly unnescessary and showoffy. Just my opinion.
Last edited by meekamouse at Mar 25, 2007,
for that one you dont HAVE to bar it, especially since the fifth fret is pretty wide.
but like.. any technique will do. i bar, you gotta pivot your finger so that when when u fret one, u move it away from another by lifting it up slightly and mute it out with ur right hand. its just, practicing slow is all i think
Quote by meekamouse
sweeping is gay and for people with teased hair. For the most part at least. Kirk Hammet did some tasteful sweeps but for the most part I feel its highly unnescessary and showoffy. Just my opinion.

Yeah.... Kirk Hammett.... The ultimate in sweeping....
*Fancy writing here*
Quote by meekamouse

The fact that you have no idea what you're talking about should preclude you from giving advice on the topic.

Threadstarter: barre the fifth fret with your index finger and make a rolling action with it to mute the strings that you've already played as you come to the next one.
I don't understand the "rolling" thingie. Can anybody post a vid or pic of it?
Quote by meekamouse

Not so. If you can't sweep, you can't play guitar. Its really that simple *adjusts his long flaxen locks and holds with a liberal dose of Ice Mist*