ok ive neva herd of a fretless guitar how do you know where to hold the frets if there are none?
go check out jaco pastorius! hes not a guitar player but a fretless bass legend!
there are fretless guitars and basses. ive heard fretless guitars are sometimes used for slide.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
you use your ear like on a violin
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Yeah, but I've seen people play violen or fiddle, and have a peice of masking tape on the neck or maybe 2 peices for reference?
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
The better players among you will know that each finger corresponds to a certain fret. EXAMPLE: Index=fret 5and so on. You get my drift?
yes a fretless guitar, that would be interesting..you dont really need fret but they do help. I can close my eyes and play stuff as im sure many people can, once you know your way around and you get the notes in your head you dont need frets but frets do make your guitar sound better =)
practice. and tape isn't unreasonable when you're learning.

EDIT: and lots of vibrato.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Ryan0811
yes a fretless guitar, that would be interesting..you dont really need fret but they do help. I can close my eyes and play stuff as im sure many people can, once you know your way around and you get the notes in your head you dont need frets but frets do make your guitar sound better =)

it isnt quite that simple. the point of frets is that you can place your finger anywhere within that area and get the same note everytime. on a fretless, the note you get depends on exactly where your finger is. to get the same as fretting, say, the fifth fret on an ordinary guitar, you have to place your finger precisely on the that fret line on a fretless. so it is quite a bit harder, but its that gives possibiities that do not exist in fretted guitars.

and yeah, fretless basses are a lot more common, but it isnt unheard of to have a fretless guitar.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Fretless guitars are not as common as fretless bases but you can get them. They have frets painted on.