I NEED to play like this ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW8FJefw82k . Technically I can, but I want to learn to improvise like that over chord changes and jazzy chords. I understand theory pretty well (modes, chords, etc), but i think my problem is applying it... can anyone push me in the right direction? what's the best way to learn to play jazz like that?
sorry i can't help you too much... I'm basically in the boat as you, but you seem to be a bit farther ahead.

That video seems sweet though. Maybe just watch that over a few times to get all the tips and tricks... if you don't know them by now.
Transcribe that solo man. That always helps. Also learn how to connect the chord tones of the interchanging chords, and for now don't even think about modes.

TRANSCRIBING IS ALWAYS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN JAZZ!!!!!!
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
what do you mean by transcribe? Like listen to it and write it down in notation... i also have to figure out the backing chords though, and that gives me a lot of trouble, but i'll give it a shot.
That's the most effective way to learn jazz in my opinion. As for the chords, it gets easier as it goes along, if you get one right I promise the next will be a little easier. One thing I've made great use of was to get a tape recorder and then play a certain chord into it and wait about 10 seconds and then name what type of chord it was. Do this with as many chords as possible and then replay it everyday and try to guess what chord it is while you're doing something that doesn't involve a lot of thinking.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7