Why do people mike amps and what does it do?
How can i mike an amp????what do i need to do it etc.

I want to mike for recording??? what do i need???? (for the whole precedure)

Thanks!!!
Last edited by ExploreEpiphone at Mar 25, 2007,
They mic it at gigs so it can go through the PA system. That or they mic it to record it through the microphone into a mixer. All you need is a microphone, a stand, and an amp. You dont need to unless you are gigging in large venues though.
It depends if you're miking it for recording or to amplify it with a PA. But the placement of the microphone. Experiment with different places and you'll get a more bass or treble.
To record, I presume using a computer or one of the small four to eight track recorders you can get you essentially have to connect the microphone to a pre-amp of sorts, and then plug it into your sound card. This will produce ok results, for higher quality then an expensive analogue to digital converter is reccomended (ie more expensive soundcard or external interface).

I am going to assume you will use your computer, so this is what you will need

guitar and amp
Microphone (ideally an instrument mic, for example a shure sm57)
Pre-amp
Computer

The pre-amp is the important part. You can just plug into the mic input of your sound card, this will give reasonable results, but you get a lot of noise, can't adjust the gain level, and sometimes things like your hard disk (particularly on laptops) will case buzzing. There are external boxes that will be a better pre-amp. This could be an external soundcard, a small mixer, or a dedicated usb/firewire interface. Then you just record with your chosen recording software (windows sound recorder, cubase, protools... etc).

Mic placement: Matter of personal opinion, and it depends what sound you want. I suggest you start off close mic'ing, so put the mic next to the speaker in the centre. This can produce a harsh sound, so try micing it off centre. Also experiment with different angles, distances (listen to some led zeppelin songs, can't think of anything specific but on some Jimmy Page mic'd from a distance to give a spacious sound). There are 'reccomended' ways of doing it, but experiment to find your own sound.