Not sure exactly how harmonicas are laid out (12 note chromatic?), but let's say you just want to play a bit with a friend - is it as easy as getting a harmonica in the key you're working with and letting go?

For example, if I play a I,IV,V, VI progression in C, will almost anything on a C harmonica work, or do you need to play a pentatonic of VI, and if so do they make harmonicas with only those notes? (trying to find a way to bring in someone with little or no musical experience....)
The best method i use is suck it & see.
I dont worry about key just phrasing & emphasis.
Im not into all the I, IV, V, VI so im not sure on this.
If it sounds good keep it if it sounds crap , drop it. easy.
Also you can buy a full set of harmonicas on eBay for like under $100 AUD
in i think 12 different keys. major , minor , sharp & flat
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
The most common type of harmonica you will come across in pop, folk, blues and rock etc. is the diatonic harmonica. This comes in one scale, available in 15 keys I think, which is the usual 12 keys with an extra low or high of three of them (which I can't remember which they are). You can get two keys out of either of these, which is playing straight harp and crossharp. Blues and rock players generally play crossharp. Of course, on top of the 15 diatonic harmonicas, you have natural minor harps, and chromatic harps.

http://tracyandnicole.thedreaming.com/blogs/harmonica.html

That page is really useful for playing with a band, and helps you with the keys. I really need to buy some more keys and pick up harmonica again, as I've neglected it for a few years. (buying a holder will help so then I can play guitar at the same time)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thanks for the help guys - that gives me a better feel for it.

Cool site, CB - I'll probably be coming back to that one...
Yeah Im with FlatLander.
That is a cool harp site. http://tracyandnicole.thedreaming.com/blogs/harmonica.html
Thanks Callum_Barrow, wow a bit of an eye opener.

Oh here is The eBay link i was talking of (gee i was right)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JOHNSON-BLUES-KING-HARMONICA-SET-OF-12-IN-CARRY-CASE_W0QQitemZ220096017911QQcategoryZ16228QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Mar 26, 2007,
It's a very useful site, and is good if you don't have a G harp for example, but wanted to play in G.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Yeah Callum_Barrow I usually just stuff around till it sounds O.K. then go from there.
Real hi tech eh? So i can sure see the advantages. My only point would be by the time i put down the harp & look up the web I would have already found what im looking for on the harp (in most cases) if i cant find "that" sound well basically i figure "i wasnt meant to be. LOL

Sorry i edited my previous post before i refreshed the page so here is the eBay link again
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JOHNSON-BLUES-KING-HARMONICA-SET-OF-12-IN-CARRY-CASE_W0QQitemZ220096017911QQcategoryZ16228QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Yeah - It's all pretty much all 1, 4, 5 though, right? So understanding that gives you a starting place to muck around though, yeah?
would have to be to sound ok,
just i never have learnt it thats all
just try & mimmick sounds ive heard & work from there
not that im any type of expert. But i will pick up my instruments
but only use the computer when my hands/arms are stuffed. LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!