Poll: p bass vs j bass
Poll Options
View poll results: p bass vs j bass
jazz
63 69%
precision
28 31%
Voters: 91.
Personally, I'd rather not play either. But if I had to I'd pick a J-bass, because the neck is much more comfortable, and I prefer the sound of a Jazz over a Precision anyday.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
I love both, I am so torn... Uh, if I absolutely had to pick, I would say a Jazz Bass, because the neck is comfy.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Wow, i guess i'm just really weird then because i have a jazz bass but i really want to put a precision neck on it.
I like both, but i voted Jazz anyway.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
aren't vs. threads banned?

oh well i dont Care

i prefer the Jazz bass , only for the reason that my hero mr Tim C uses them.

even if he didnt use one i still love the jazz

but then again if someone gave me a P-bass i wouldnt turn it down
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
i have a p-bass so that gets my vote even though i prefer jazz pickups
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
jazz ftw. its got an awesome sound, a thinner neck and a way cooler pickguard
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
P-Bass. I prefer the neck, and it sounds thicker.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
P/Js for the win! Erm.. i'd probably say Precision just because i love the hard ringing tone. Mhm... but i love Jazz basses too.
signature
I personally wont go near a P-bass, neck is too slow and there is damn near zero tonal variety in the thing. Jazz basses have variety and a nice, smooth neck, so of the two, Jazz.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Jazz's are so quick and comfy, but I love the tone of my p-bass, except thats all I love about it lol

I picked Jazz
Personally, I don't like either. I can't choose between the two, as I wouldn't want to play them ever. Well, maybe if they were the last bass on earth or something like that...
Jazz for me
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Wouldn't it have been amazing if this was actually the thread to end all threads? I mean, at the second this thread was posted, every other thread on every other site became closed. I would have been all "woooooah..."

Anyway, Jazz bass.
I'm not much of a bassist, I usually just play it when jamming with my drummer friend and pianist friend. Anyways, I've played both basses, and prefer Jazz bass to Precision. Neck is easier to dance the fingers around. Er... yeah.
we know a place no spaceships go
I have owned a squier/squirer p-bass for all my 5 years of bass playing(minus 2 where i wasent to intressed due to lack of inspiration) Playing it cues of i am in the local musicschool and the slots for electric guitar was full so i got to learn the bass guitar.

bougth it and a amp(torque 20watt bass) secound hand.

Its worked really nice for me but i wanna get a good J-bass soon. Is J-bass i(n genarly) good for funk and tapping? becues i have gotten more and more into funk and tapping latly (thx to wooten..)
Last edited by vonroden at Mar 26, 2007,
i have both the MIM p and j basses and i like the jazz a lot more. even though the neck is thinner which makes it a bit harder to pick and slap, its more comfortable and slapping sounds much better. it also has more of a growl and attitude
My Gear:

'06 Fender Jazz Bass MIM (black w/Badass II)
'99 Fender P-Bass MIM (midnight blue w/Badass II)
Fender Rumble 60 amp
I prefer P-style pickups for their meatier sound and for the same reason I'm always much more comfortable playing through a 1x15 cab than 4 10s. Having said that, there's nothing lovelier neck-wise than a sanded-down jazz neck.
Originally posted by Chapman
And for the dancing bassist...Go dance your ass off a bridge.

Member of the UG Law Students, Inns of Court.
Both. Neither one is better than the other. I have an '01 Precision and an '04 Jazz, both MIM and both sunburst. I put flatwounds on the Precision for groove stuff and light roundwounds on the Jazz for showing-off stuff.

Both basses are excellent with their own purpose and character. But I must admit, I look better behind a Jazz. P-basses look dorky way up high.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
jazz basses may look better, play better, sound more "accurate", and have more tonal options, but the p bass just sounds so damn good!
Interestingly enough, the P-Bass I picked up has one of the most comfy necks ever. It's at least on par with Jazz basses, if not better. Fender Aerodyne.
I love the neck on a Jazz and the angled body, so that gets my vote.

I'd personally love to see a Jazz's body and neck with a precision pickup at the mid body and a humbucker at the bridge.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
I think it says something that I sold my Rickenbacker for a P-Bass. The neck just feels amazing, and I love the tone.
I use to be a P bass gal, but i'm starting to prefer the Jazz.

But for slapping I vote Stingray/Sterling or anything with a humbucker.