well... i was quietly trying to justify my love for passive emgs and my bad spelling when my dad called! he told me that he has recieved my exam results wich were perfect ( i scored an apocalyptic 96%) he was so happy he decided to get me my own custom made les paul now i really need to know wich wood is best? wich pickups shoud i put in? wich neck should i use? i want all the caracteristics of a perfect les paul plzzz cuz he's willing to pay anything! give me justifications too! thx :-D :-D halleluya!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by RedMoonMan
Cause Your A Weak Ass Little Bitch!!!!

Quote by grim1
Says the person with a White Stripes avatar.

loool fucked yu right didnt he?
I have no input on the wood or anything but eh.
Your dad is pretty bad ass.

Enjoy the guitar!
For a Les Paul I would go mahogany, because thats just what a les paul is, and you'll get that warm tone expected from one. I personally love the slim 60's necks, they are the right size for me and wicked fast, but it's personal preference. EMG's, 81's and 85's would sound bitchin in a les paul, but look around a little and find some pickups you love.

Before you make any final decisions, try to find all the components you like. A custom guitar is all about who it sounds and looks to you, so don't get what others say. Try our ideas, but it all comes down to whats good for you.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i hate you.
if i were you id just get one of the custom shop les pauls like the jimmy page or slash or joe perry or pete townsend
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Most of the Les Pauls have a mahogany body and a maple top. The Burstbucker Pros (pickups) sound very good. I also prefer the 60's slim taper neck. You might want to look into a double cut. Ebony fingerboard. Straplocks. Figured maple (AAA.)
I didnt know Gibson were still doing their custom shop?
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
well look u guys thanks for the advice it's gona b a mahogany body with a maple top :-D but i need a larger neck than the one Øttər told me abt n iss gona b a double cut anw for the pickups i want are the same to the ones the guy from creed uses but i dunno wut brand he uses so somebody's got to tell me or maybe the pickups the guitarist from november's doom uses i dunno what it is so i need u 2 tell me that too. i'd go for emgs but i hate active pickups. ebony fingerboard mother of pearl square inlays. standard les paul nut. mahogany wiz. and for the finish, i don't know wut it's gonna be but somethin original cuz this guitar's gotta be perfect. thanks u guyz.
Quote by RedMoonMan

Quote by grim1

Last edited by Lord Lustinhell at Apr 5, 2007,
yea n the tuners? gotoh!!!
Quote by RedMoonMan

Quote by grim1

Quote by ozzie987
I didnt know Gibson were still doing their custom shop?

The custom shop no longer takes custom orders, they do still produce guitars, like the inspired by, VOS, and Custom series.

Threadstarter, I find it very hard to believe that your father is buying you a guitar, let alone a custom made one, simply for getting a 96 on some exam.

Maybe if you got into Harvard, but not for passing algebra.

If it's true, he must be very rich, or have strange priorities.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I had 3 of the 4 final exams my senior year as an early admissions student in college up in the 90s and all I got was another $5,000 in debt.

Gratz bud!
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
If he's willing to spend anything, go for a AAAA maple top and Bare Knuckles Pickups. Is it going to be an actual Gibson or are you going to get a Luthier/Custom shop to build it?
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Lord Lustinhell
well look u guys thanks for the advice it's gona b a mahogany body with a maple top :-D but i need a larger neck than the one Øttər told me abt n iss gona b a double cut anw for the pickups i want are the same to the ones the guy from creed uses but i dunno wut brand he uses so somebody's got to tell me or maybe the pickups the guitarist from november's doom uses i dunno what it is so i need u 2 tell me that too. i'd go for emgs but i hate active pickups. ebony fingerboard mother of pearl square inlays. standard les paul nut. mahogany wiz. and for the finish, i don't know wut it's gonna be but somethin original cuz this guitar's gotta be perfect. thanks u guyz.

wow, congrats, your dad is awesome.

if you're looking for Tremonti's pups, he has a signature PRS with Tremonti pickups. They definitely kick ass too. I have a friend that owns his PRS artist, and it absolutely smokes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Talk to the peeps who are going to build it for you. They will know better than anyone.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by hamish5178
The custom shop no longer takes custom orders, they do still produce guitars, like the inspired by, VOS, and Custom series.

Threadstarter, I find it very hard to believe that your father is buying you a guitar, let alone a custom made one, simply for getting a 96 on some exam.

Maybe if you got into Harvard, but not for passing algebra.

If it's true, he must be very rich, or have strange priorities.

Hey don't rain on his parade, a new guitar is a new guitar, who cares where it comes from or why! True about the Gibbo custom shop as well, i'd assume he's getting an independent luthier to build one for him. Or Heritage!