The pinned topic had very little on whats a good low gain amp, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions. What will give me nice cleans for country would especially like something that can give me a nice 'twangy' sound (brad paisly type sound). I'm looking for something hopefully around or below £200 ($380), I'm happy to buy second hand and can also buy for america.
At the moment im looking at trying to find a 'Carvin Vintage 16'

Thanks

Edit: would prefer it to be fully tube but not too fussed
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
some kind of fender- maybe a blues junior or hot rod deluxe? idk how much they fetch though
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i wouldnt consider a blues junior low LOW gain... but yeah, a fender tube would be your best bet.
Fender tube amp. You will need extra power for head room if you want to play loud gigs.
Quote by uldhppi
Fender tube amp. You will need extra power for head room if you want to play loud gigs.
You can always mic the amp.

Fender is what I would recommend. Perhaps a Blues Jr.? I don't know much about their selection of tube amps in that price range.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
You can always mic the amp.

Fender is what I would recommend. Perhaps a Blues Jr.? I don't know much about their selection of tube amps in that price range.

err, I'd suggest a pro junior instead. The blues junior has a pretty shrill sounding break up to it.and the actual cab shakes because of the speaker size which is common for them. The Pro junior is cheaper, also 15 watts tube and has a 10' inch and has a much better overdriven sound but mic it up of course.
Quote by uterus
err, I'd suggest a pro junior instead. The blues junior has a pretty shrill sounding break up to it.and the actual cab shakes because of the speaker size which is common for them. The Pro junior is cheaper, also 15 watts tube and has a 10' inch and has a much better overdriven sound but mic it up of course.

the blues junior and pro junior have the same OD. ive heard it before.

the blues junior isnt "shrill" it must have been eq'ed wrong.

trust me, the blues junior is worth the $100 extra for the 4 extra knobs.
Quote by Arlabester
the blues junior and pro junior have the same OD. ive heard it before.

the blues junior isnt "shrill" it must have been eq'ed wrong.

trust me, the blues junior is worth the $100 extra for the 4 extra knobs.

same OD huh
I never new a 10' and 12' inch speaker sounded the same or even came close to producing the same sounding OD when one has a larger cab then the other. It wasn't EQ'd wrong at all either. And it isn't worth the 100 extra because there's amps that blow it out of the water for around the same price. My 0.02.
Quote by Arlabester
like which amps?

and yes, the OD sounds the same to me.

honestly I own both amps and I've working as a tech in a studio, I'm glad you have your opinion but there's no point reinforcing it for your stance.

Maybe the original poster could find a used ampeg, lots of them around.
Quote by Arlabester
...like which amps blow it out of the water (new) for $400?

i dunno. can you?
Quote by Arlabester
i dunno. can you?

why new? I don't recall the poster wanting it to be new. It doesn't matter if its new or not or if it has a few dinks in the tolex. I guess if he had to go new maybe a fender champ (blackface or silverface on ebay) or an epiphone valve junior variant.
Last edited by uterus at Mar 25, 2007,
Quote by Arlabester
oooh champs are nice.

'touche

and they do pop up for even less than 250-300 on ebay sometimes too.
Quote by uterus
and they do pop up for even less than 250-300 on ebay sometimes too.

fender <15w and under tubes are godly recording amps.
laney lc15 or 15r might do it... I haven't tried it, i've tried the 30, it's a little more fendery than the vc series. or fender blues or pro junior, but they're probably over budget.

that new fender champion might be worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?