Hey folks, i need to learn a solo, from GnR - Dont Cry.. but the song is in Dm tuning ( i think ) and so is the tabs... My band and I are playing it in standard tuning, What do i do ? Thanks
Last edited by Trixxr at Mar 25, 2007,
hmm... slash always tunes half a step down so i assume the solo is in eb tuning. Either tune your guitar half a step down or play the notes a fret lower. It might help to copy and paste the tab and change the numbers to one lower. It will be impossible to play the whole song a fret lower, only the solo would be possible because of the open string notes used.
I always keep my guitar tuned half a step lower. It sounds stupid at first but it sounds better imo.
If you want to play the whole song and not just the solo and you wanna play other songs in standard tuning straight after and you can't be bothered to change, just leave it in standard tuning, it's not the end of the world. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sound exact.
so where it says like
--------
-----6-
--------
--------
--------
--------

i should play

--------
-----5-
--------
--------
--------
-------- ?
Just use Guitar Pro and tune your guitar to EB or leave it in standard its not much of a difference where you'll ruin the integrity of the solo, play the solo the way the tab shows you and tune your guitar to EB or standard and you'll be ok. Slash only uses D tuning for 2 songs and that is the live versions of Dirty Little Thing and Fall To Pieces in Velvet Revolver.

Forget totally about D tuning for playing GNR slash uses Sandard and EB for GNR stuff either way nobody will be able to tell the difference as long as you arent playing with a full band. If you play GNR songs in any other tuning but EB or standard you need to slap yourself as hard as you can and come back down to reality. The only problem where you'll notice the difference between EB and Standard is if you are trying to play EB tuning over a standard song you will have a hard time hearing yourself, the standard tuning over EB is barely noticable because the higher tuning has a bit more natural volume and you wont be strugling to hear yourself play. Slash plays all GNR songs now days with Velvet Revolver in standard tuning so EB or standard you are safe.

If you want to play GNR authenticly just quit being a lazy arse and tune your Guitar to EB tuning, its more work to try to wonder how to play it a fret down than to just tune guitar the right way and not give yourself a mind ****

If you are going to split hairs between EB tuning or Standard you had better be playing through a Slash Marshall Amp with EL34 tubes and a Gibson Les Paul with Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 pros humbuckers or it doesnt pay to worry about being acurate about what tuning your guitar is in if you have a Wal Mart 10watt practice amp

Good luck hope this helps! PS: you can PM me if you need more help or if you want to hear my rendition of Dont Cry in eb tuning and standard tuning. I've 300 versions of GNR songs I recorded of myself playing versious songs and I have it almost down to a science now except for having money to buy a slash marshall