Page 1 of 2
Have you guys ever made your own picks, if so how? I lost my two favorite picks and was just considering making some out of anything really. Yeah, I know they're dirt cheap and everything, but i just thought it would be a cool thing to make your own pick.
It's possible to use paper as a pick substitute.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Common things to make picks out of are things like credit cards, tic tac boxes, perspex.... use your imagination
Quote by JamieB
It's possible to use paper as a pick substitute.

... how??

Also theyre so cheap, what's the point?

EDIT: oh. Must learn to read things properly
if you have access to a school or collage etc with a decent graphics suit or resistant materials. they may have a cam machine. (computer aided manufacture) where u simply draw the shape u want on comp. insert big sheet or thep lastic u want. and it can cut hundreds out for you. then if uwant sand down the edges. i did it years ago for my graphics project
Just buy a crap load of picks and keep them in your room. Now when ever you lose a pick you only have to scout your room for a couple of seconds to find another one.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
... how??

Also theyre so cheap, what's the point?

Yeah, i said they were cheap, but the idea is that it would be cool (to me) to make one's own pick.
Quote by zombie_monster
Just buy a crap load of picks and keep them in your room. Now when ever you lose a pick you only have to scout your room for a couple of seconds to find another one.

yup thats what i do
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^^^ But how???!

Cut shapes out of various objects then use them as picks.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^^^ But how???!

Just get some paper, and strum.

If you want, fold it over so it's a bit thicker.

Just normal paper.

Wait, the paper I used last time was maybe a bit thick.

I just got some straight out of the pad I take to school, and just needed to fold it in half, then it was thick enough.

Quote by JamieB
Just get some paper, and strum.

If you want, fold it over so it's a bit thicker.

But it's like... really thin. Like paper....

I thought you meant gluing lots of layers together till the glue made it hard or something but now I think ur joking.

You are joking, right?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I thought you meant gluing lots of layers together till the glue made it hard or something but now I think ur joking.

You are joking, right?

Exactly my point.
Take a old CD and cut it into many picks. With those when you're mad you can junk use it as a shank.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone Studio 10 amp
Line 6 PodXT - Should've got the PodXT live
Click for charity.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

You are joking, right?

No, I'm really not joking.

It's probably not much use for people playing heavy music, but for just strumming chords and the like it's fine.

EDIT: I'll make a recording and put it on here.

Quote by simon4145
Take a old CD and cut it into many picks. With those when you're mad you can junk use it as a shank.

That wouldve been perfect back when i used to play in the yard back when i was in the joint.
Quote by JamieB
No, I'm really not joking.

It's probably not much use for people playing heavy music, but for just strumming chords and the like it's fine.

EDIT: I'll make a recording and put it on here.

Please do
Gimme a minute, my PC's being a bit recording unfriendly .

How hard is it? Fold a bit of paper a few times, use a corner, then strum. Unless you need to be doing sweeps it's not a bad substitute.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by JamieB

Oh, take your time.
Quote by rich_sg
How hard is it? Fold a bit of paper a few times, use a corner, then strum. Unless you need to be doing sweeps it's not a bad substitute.

Oh, so you do indeed fold it... i thought it had been stated that you didnt fold it. That makes a bit more sense.
how the hell are you supposed to play with a bit of unfolded paper? You'd be better of playing with a dead cod.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I've managed to do it without folding before, but I said above I assume it must have been pretty thick paper.

Once you fold it a few times it's fine.

I'm not sure why but every time I record the sound just seems to go really weird, but just try using paper yourself if you don't believe me

Quote by JamieB

Well it IS an acer... you may as well try recording it into a calculator
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well it IS an acer... you may as well try recording it into a calculator

You're probably right.

But I mean, it's really messed up :/

Sketchpad paper is probably as sturdy as a .32 pick, though I daresay the lower elasticity means it won't last as long.

At a party last night people made me play using a mini chocolate bar (still in wrapper) and...and something else that I can't remember
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy

At a party last night people made me play using a mini chocolate bar (still in wrapper) and...and something else that I can't remember

Chocolate bar = Picnic

Other thing = Picnis?

Page 1 of 2