I dunno, it might be a silly question, but I've tried an Epiphone Les Paul custom, and i thought it was great, and I also want a guitar with a floating trem, possibliy an RG of some sort.

At the start of next month I'm getting a Marshall TSL so thats an amp taken care of, and after selling a few things later down the line, i'll have around £800 to spend on a guitar.

Should I spend about £400 on two guitars, or £800 on one guitar? Because I can't really find any guitars that I like in that price range

I play mainly hard rock/80's metal and some classic rock.
Funny words.
Surely it'd be best to just get one guitar for around 5-6 hundred that you really like then save the rest of the money for another day?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
hmm...

if you can find 2 used Ibanez RG5xx/6xx/7xx then I'd get 2 of them...
if not then go with a Prestige on that 800 total...
Quote by GLP_Arclite
get the LP and fit it with a floating trem?

Not a good idea, as it would cost too much.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
one guitar in the 800 range. You'll thank yourself for it later. Make sure you really want a floating trem, and its not just a passing fancy. Just keep searching for the one guitar that fits all your needs. With 800, im sure you'll be able to find it.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Blasphemy!

Haha, nah, I just think an LP with a floating trem is a bit...odd.

For my next guitars i plan on getting something like a Les Paul and an Ibanez, the LP can be the standard rock work-horse and the Ibanez can be for more intricate stuff.
Funny words.
Definitely the RG, but get an HSH or HSS for the classic rock. I was in the same predicament, Gibson faded LP or Ibanez S470, I got the S470, best choice I've ever made.
Dickless.
What I do, personally, is keep two electric guitars right now. A Schecter 006 and a PRS SE Custom. I use two guitars because I usually stay in only two tunings and it makes life a lot easier having two guitars, one for each tuning. I usually keep my Schecter down a half step and my PRS in Drop C#. I would say get two if you wanted to do that. BUT, my Schecter is the 006-Deluxe, the cheaper model, and my PRS is an SE. Two less expensive guitars. My Schecter doesn't really give me a top-quality sound or output. But I'm not really worried about that because I'm not gigging or anything right now. But I'm going to start soon and I plan on getting another PRS or a more expensive (and better) Schecter. If you want quality, just get one guitar. But if you want to do like I'm doing right now, go for it and get two. And also, having two guitars allows you to be able to experiment and such if you get two totally different guitars.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Not possible.

Although, a Kahler, another locking trem, is.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
One. It will destroy the two guitars you would get in the lower price range. Just try a lot of guitars out, you'll find one you love. Happens to me now and then. But, the major difference is that you have cash to spend, and I don't.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Yeah I was thinking about the different tuning thing, no doubt I'd use like, the guitar I have now for standard tuning, another guitar for down half a step and if i got one with a floating trem, keep that in standard as well.
Funny words.
Get the Jackson Dinky DK2M Pro.
It's really sweet.

It's like perfect for speed metal.
Corona Corona
Last edited by demoniacfashion at Mar 25, 2007,
Mmm...

Left, Ibanez RG550EX and right, Epiphone Les Paul Custom.
I just got the Ibanez yesterday, it owns. Both guitars are pretty good.

Anyways, I'd go for an expensive £800 guitar as opposed to two guitars. Just make sure if you do go for one guitar, to choose either hardtail or trem. Got any ideas for a good £800 guitar?
Quote by Mwoit
Mmm...

Left, Ibanez RG550EX and right, Epiphone Les Paul Custom.
I just got the Ibanez yesterday, it owns. Both guitars are pretty good.

Anyways, I'd go for an expensive £800 guitar as opposed to two guitars. Just make sure if you do go for one guitar, to choose either hardtail or trem. Got any ideas for a good £800 guitar?

26 Frets? That's awesome!

refer to:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8693641#post8693641
Corona Corona
It really depends on the level of versatility your playing style commands. From what you've said though, I'd go with the one guitar for $800.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Quote by demoniacfashion
26 Frets? That's awesome!

learn to count please.
Quote by La Qotsa
Not possible.

Although, a Kahler, another locking trem, is.

Its possible, but it invloves cutting into the guitar and is a bit risky.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I would go for just one guitar, with that kind of money, you just need to search man. Look into getting a Carvin, custom to your needs.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I will say this: having played MANY guitars with Kahler systems installed on them you will NOT be disappointed by a Les Paul with a Stud mount Kahler and locking tuners.

I personally like the Kahler better thana traditional Floyd and slightly less than an ibanez ZR trem. That being said, an ibanez S series with the ZR trem(S470 or S520) would be perfect for you, an Epiphone Les Paul Plaintop with a Kahler install being a close second.
In my eyes even an £800 guitar is never going to be as versatile as 2 guitars - also if you have a guitar with a floyd then you want a backup with a fixed bridge, just in case. Also it let's you muck around with alternate tunings and the like. I'd get 2, but spend the bulk of it on the model with the trem as you have to spend more if you want a decent one.

One. It will destroy the two guitars you would get in the lower price range. Just try a lot of guitars out, you'll find one you love. Happens to me now and then. But, the major difference is that you have cash to spend, and I don't.

Once you start getting past £400 you aren't going to get significant improvements in funcionality, it's mainly cosmetic differences. The difference between a £200 guitar and a £400 guitar is far more marked that the difference beween £400 and £800.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg-1570/7050
+
plus

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x50-pro/67531 The Washburn is only £300 which is an absolute steal...the pickups alone would set you back £150 at UK retail prices and they're exactly what I'd have recommended for your style.

= £750 = 2 shit hot guitars...take it to £850 and you can upgrade the pickups in the RG too, the pickups in the Washburn are already great.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp165fbk.htm
+
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp166_f_bk_bridge.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 25, 2007,
You might want to consider a Maverick F1. I looked at these againt mid priced and expensive RGs and much preferred it.

Problem with low end RGs is that the wood is probably crap becasue they never do sunbursts in the sub 500 quid range, which is why they are all solid colours.

Anyway, I have the F3 which behaves itself quite well fom the torrid abuse it gets - but it is a guitar which has 24 frets, which stretches your arm a liitle further to play near the nut - so it takes time to get used to.

Also consider a second hand Peavey Wolfgang. They are really underrated, but a superb value for money. Also, if you are playing live, and using locking trems, 2 guitars is a must as it will take too long between songs to change a string if one breaks.

Good luck, and the guys at Maverick can be contacted via www.maverickguitars.com.
Washburn X50Pro, stuning guitars less that £400 each if you know where to look. EMG or duncan loaded with coil tapping on the duncan, which is also cheaper.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH